Question for Jets/Giants fans (1 Viewer)

Don't flame me if this is considered common knowledge - I've asked a few peeps, and haven't gotten an answer to this question.

What is the geographical breakdown of Jets fans to Giants fans in the NYC/Jersey area? Are certain boroughs primarily Jets or Giants fans? Are jersey folk primarily Jets fans?

I think of Chicago, how the south siders are Sox fans and the northsiders are Cub fans, and figure there's some sort of similar breakdown in New York.

The Jets were originally in Queens and were targeting a more Long Island/Suburban fan base. The Giants have the City proper, New Jersey Conn and upstate suburbs. But people move and things change. I know Jet fans in NJ and Giant fans who grew as Giant fans on Long Island. I'd say it's pretty mixed right now.

i don't think there is a geological breakdown but long island and the city is more jets fans and NJ and upstate is more giants. i think alot has to do with the fact the giants have played in jersey for ever but the jets used to play in NYC in shea staduim.

Actually the Giants used to play at Yankee Stadium before Giants Stadium was built in the Meadowlands. I think that was in the 70s.

When we lived in NJ, we were primarily Giants fans (after the Saints, of course! But we'd usually throw some support to the local team, too) due to liking Parcells (who was coach at the time), and because their training camp was 5 minutes from our house...we'd go regularly and watch, which was a lot of fun. As far as the other teams, it was based on who we got on tv...Yankees, Knicks and Rangers were who came on our cable system; not the Mets, Nets or Islanders. I found that true for many; their allegiance was determined by their tv coverage, which varied because Time Warner made no sense.

Never could get into the Knicks, however. Too east coast Laker-ish to me.

I really think is about your family and who your dad is a fan of. This goes back to the days before cable tv (yes, I'm that old!) We were Yankee/Ranger fans. Football wasn't huge in our house but I remember Fran Tarkenton running around with the Giants and I liked the Vikings (my favorite color is purple and it was my high schools colors). But the Jets were always the 'sexy' team. They and the Mets had a lot of success in 69 and a lot of people bandwagoned them. My sister became a Met fan and was almost disowned :) Now she lives in Chicago!

Even thought I grew up on LI, I love the Rangers and could never get into the Islanders. I hate them because of the Ranger/Islander rivalry. I don't really hate the Mets or Jets becuase there isn't really a rivalry between them and the Yankees/Giants.

I know Giant fans are conflicted this week. They want the Saints to lose, as a NFC competitor, but many can't stand rooting for the Jets. The Jet fans will not be so conflicted when the Saints play the Giants, they will be openly be rooting for the Saints. Especially if the Saints beat the Jets.

Maybe this will help.

When I lived in NYC, I asked a friend (lifelong Giants fan) why it was, when the NFL draft used to be on a Tuesday, the room was so full of Jets fans, and so few Giants fans?

He paused for a long time, thought, and then said, "The Giants fans all have jobs."

HAHAHA, so true.

The break down as I understand it is the Jets fans are usually mets fans. Reason being is jets used to play a shea. Now the geographical breakdown is weird but long island and queens are Jets and Mets fans. Half of staten island is jets fans and othe half giants fans. Jersey is former new yorkers so north and central jersey is a mixture of both jets and giants. Westchester county and Bronx are huge Yankees and Giants fans. Manhattan is mostly yuppies who have moved in from out of state so the fans are all over the place. Bar None in manhattan is a huge Saints Bar. If your ever in NYC when the saints are on.

yup, while growing up in Parsippany, NJ as a youngster.. we were all Mets and Jets fans.. heck if I know why that was.. big brothers' influence ? don't know.

:gosaints:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom