Question for Jets/Giants fans (2 Viewers)

sleepingbunch

NOLA/ATX/San Antone Saint
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Question for Jets/Giants fans - what neighborhood makes you a fan of your particular team

Don't flame me if this is considered common knowledge - I've asked a few peeps, and haven't gotten an answer to this question.

What is the geographical breakdown of Jets fans to Giants fans in the NYC/Jersey area? Are certain boroughs primarily Jets or Giants fans? Are jersey folk primarily Jets fans?

I think of Chicago, how the south siders are Sox fans and the northsiders are Cub fans, and figure there's some sort of similar breakdown in New York.

Last edited:
I would say from living in CT but listening to WFAN they are more aligned by which baseball and hockey teams they follow. Nearly every Mets fan is also a Jets fan since they shared Shea stadium. By the same reasoning, nearly everyone in Queens is a Mets/Jets fan. Nearly everyone in the Bronx is a Yankees fan and thus a Giants fan. They also tend to follow the Rangers.

The other boroughs tend to split between Mets/Jets/Nets/Devils and Yankees/Giants/Knicks/Rangers. Really strange.

A New Yorker could tell you better tho'.

From a nj perspective I would say 70% are Giant fans in the north and central part of the state,and probaly 65% are Eagle fans in the south part of the state.

There are a lot of Giants fans in CT, too. I grew up there and before the 80s, there weren't too many Patriots fans. Mostly Giants, some Jets fans as well.

The hardcore rivalry is Red Sox/Yankees, though.

It usually goes something like, Mets/Jets/Knicks/Islanders or Yanks/Giants Knicks//Rangers. I don't think I've ever met a Nets fan in NY.

When we lived in NJ, we were primarily Giants fans (after the Saints, of course! But we'd usually throw some support to the local team, too) due to liking Parcells (who was coach at the time), and because their training camp was 5 minutes from our house...we'd go regularly and watch, which was a lot of fun. As far as the other teams, it was based on who we got on tv...Yankees, Knicks and Rangers were who came on our cable system; not the Mets, Nets or Islanders. I found that true for many; their allegiance was determined by their tv coverage, which varied because Time Warner made no sense.

Never could get into the Knicks, however. Too east coast Laker-ish to me.

There are a lot of Giants fans in CT, too. I grew up there and before the 80s, there weren't too many Patriots fans. Mostly Giants, some Jets fans as well.

The hardcore rivalry is Red Sox/Yankees, though.

Where in CT did you grow up? I live in CT.

Don't flame me if this is considered common knowledge - I've asked a few peeps, and haven't gotten an answer to this question.

What is the geographical breakdown of Jets fans to Giants fans in the NYC/Jersey area? Are certain boroughs primarily Jets or Giants fans? Are jersey folk primarily Jets fans?

I think of Chicago, how the south siders are Sox fans and the northsiders are Cub fans, and figure there's some sort of similar breakdown in New York.

i don't think there is a geological breakdown but long island and the city is more jets fans and NJ and upstate is more giants. i think alot has to do with the fact the giants have played in jersey for ever but the jets used to play in NYC in shea staduim.

It usually goes something like, Mets/Jets/Knicks/Islanders or Yanks/Giants Knicks//Rangers. I don't think I've ever met a Nets fan in NY.

Ahh.. forgot about the Icelanders (a little Steve Somers humor). Ever since the Devils moved south to Newark they've been pretty much out of the picture.

The Nets however are pushing for a move to Brooklyn.. maybe brings a few fans back and puts 'em back in the Mets/Jets rotation?

When we lived in NJ, we were primarily Giants fans (after the Saints, of course! But we'd usually throw some support to the local team, too) due to liking Parcells (who was coach at the time), and because their training camp was 5 minutes from our house...we'd go regularly and watch, which was a lot of fun. As far as the other teams, it was based on who we got on tv...Yankees, Knicks and Rangers were who came on our cable system; not the Mets, Nets or Islanders. I found that true for many; their allegiance was determined by their tv coverage, which varied because Time Warner made no sense.

Never could get into the Knicks, however. Too east coast Laker-ish to me.[/QUOTE]
Unfortunately, without the wins. :idunno:

So, from what I gather, we'll basically be on everyone in NY/NJ/CT's **** list after Week 6. :hihi:

Ahh.. forgot about the Icelanders (a little Steve Somers humor). Ever since the Devils moved south to Newark they've been pretty much out of the picture.

The Nets however are pushing for a move to Brooklyn.. maybe brings a few fans back and puts 'em back in the Mets/Jets rotation?

Good question. Nets don't crack the rotation for me. I've always been a Knicks fan...I know, I know, you add them to the Jets & Mets and you get a whole lot of losing.

Maybe this will help.

When I lived in NYC, I asked a friend (lifelong Giants fan) why it was, when the NFL draft used to be on a Tuesday, the room was so full of Jets fans, and so few Giants fans?

He paused for a long time, thought, and then said, "The Giants fans all have jobs."

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom