Question for the lawyers on here. (1 Viewer)

Tony1Saintfan

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I’ve had At&T at my (still new ti home) for a little over 3 1/2 years. The contract I have been paying ins the U-verse 1gig package but i have never received any speed over 300mbps. I’m about to ditch the and go with a different provider. Since the package I’m paying for is much higher than what I’ve been getting can I sue them for reimbursement costs?

I’ve had At&T at my (still new ti home) for a little over 3 1/2 years. The contract I have been paying ins the U-verse 1gig package but i have never received any speed over 300mbps. I’m about to ditch the and go with a different provider. Since the package I’m paying for is much higher than what I’ve been getting can I sue them for reimbursement costs?
What's your modem rated at?

I work for an net provider and they have a lot of fine print in that stuff. Most plans say up to a gig. Most customer equipment can’t even do a gig especially if it’s a wireless connection. Wired is the only way. Most customers I see get between 200-800 and mostly live in that 400 range. Plus ATT sucks anyway most areas they can’t offer the same speeds throughout their footprint depends how far from their junction points unless it’s fiber.

I work for an net provider and they have a lot of fine print in that stuff. Most plans say up to a gig. Most customer equipment can’t even do a gig especially if it’s a wireless connection. Wired is the only way. Most customers I see get between 200-800 and mostly live in that 400 range. Plus ATT sucks anyway most areas they can’t offer the same speeds throughout their footprint depends how far from their junction points unless it’s fiber.
I understand that and that is one on the main reasons I’m changing. The new service is through the same company that get my electric through although it is a separate entity. They guarantee 1,000 mbps both up and down and that’s exactly what they are providing. I went to some friends or ours house just to check it out. When I hooked up to their service it was like playing with fire compared to what we get from at&t.

My bad I intended to post this on the ee board. Can a mod please move it it there?

I understand that and that is one on the main reasons I’m changing. The new service is through the same company that get my electric through although it is a separate entity. They guarantee 1,000 mbps both up and down and that’s exactly what they are providing. I went to some friends or ours house just to check it out. When I hooked up to their service it was like playing with fire compared to what we get from at&t.

The new provider almost certainly has the same disclaimer in their agreement. ISPs always guarantee "up to" advertised speeds and make it clear they can and will throttle speeds based on usage.

The real theft is that the major players in ISP/Telecoms have been taking billions in tax cuts for decades with the sole understanding that they would provide nationwide fiber infrastructure. They never have and never will but they'll happily pocket the money. The only way to stop it is for locally/publicly owned utilities to start providing their own internet service and grabbing up the telecoms' dark fiber, which has only happened in a handful of cities in the US.

You never get every bit of MBPS. Speed test usually tell you where you stand. Move the Modem, Buy better cables, and monitor how many devices are connected to your network. At one point I knew nothing about securing my network and when I finally caught on, there were 19 devices leeching off of my network. I was wondering why Youtube vids were buffering even at 360p

I had a similar situation happen to me here on the northshore with spectrum. In my office i had upgraded my service two years prior to a higher speed and found out the my modem was never provisioned for it. So i figured out that they owed me $2400. I spoke to a manager and she told me that they would probably give me one month back. However, with a little persistence on my end they actually gave me a $2400 credit to my account! I was very pleased with them needless to say! So i would say to you, like i told them " you took my money every month and i didn;t get the service i paid for , not once. I want my money back"! be persistent!

Imo, make sure you own your own equipment. Most providers provide crap components

Between businesses I worked at and roommates that wanted it, I’ve dealt with AT&T three times and I can say they are very consistent. They consistently lie about ever single thing when they are selling it. They have a culture of lie cheat and steal for the sale. Worst company ever.

Like many have said, this is often (roughly half the time or slightly more) an equipment issue.

- Is your modem Docsis 3.0 or better? Check that. Otherwise, your speed is capped on account of just that.

- Is your WiFi Network operating on the 2.4ghz channel or the 5ghz channel? If you're on the 2.4ghz channel, you're capped at roughly 500mbps.

- Is the network cable running from the modem to the router Cat 5 instead of Cat 5e, Cat 6, Cat 7, or Cat 7a? If it's just Cat 5, you're capped.

- Is the speed test you're conducting far from the access point (router)? Is it a mesh router with multiple nodes, or is it a single unit?

Your first speed test should come straight from the modem using ethernet cable from device to modem. Your second should come from device to router, also using ethernet. If you get different results, then your router is limiting you. If you get the same results, the next step is to run a speed test using wifi close to the modem and then compare results. Then, conduct subsequent tests 10 more feet away until you're at the furthest point from the base. It's natural for speeds to get slower as you move deeper into the home.

.. if your speed from the furthest point differs too much of a drop off from the original speed test using ethernet cable, then you should getting 25 feet ethernet cable, and try a more central location for the router. Sometimes the companies that set these up choose locations that are easier for them, instead of more likely to produce good results for you. Just saying.

- Just being thorough with this question, but.. are you running through a vpn? Sometimes people auto connect to VPN and don't realize they are capped on the VPN side, at times.

If you discover in the first test using ethernet cable directly from the modem, that the speed is the same as what you get from your router normally (roughly) then there's only two causes for that

(a) the modem isn't docsis 3.0 or better

(b) it's AT&Ts fault.

Good luck, sir. I wish you the best. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

You can sue anybody for anything. But the question is will you win? No. And the other question is, is it big enough for a lawyer to fool with it? Another no.

You can sue anybody for anything. But the question is will you win? No. And the other question is, is it big enough for a lawyer to fool with it? Another no.

You can't when your service agreement has mandatory arbitration - which all of these kinds of service agreements have. There are a few states where they might be unenforceable but I'm certain Mississippi isn't one of them.

Then whether you're in arbitration or court, it's likely also that the terms of service state that the advertised communication speed isn't a guarantee and that there are aspects of the communication speed that are beyond the control of the provider. So not getting the advertised speed isn't actionable.

OP might be able to get some kind of credit/reimbursement if you're willing to be a giant pain in the arse. I had to fight one of these once (it was a Sprint contract) and there are many layers of resistance, kind of like bosses in a martial arts video game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom