Question for the Lawyers on the board? (1 Viewer)

stevedrum

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Ok for the last several months I've been getting numerous phone calls from bill collecters claiming that I owe them money. The thing is they are getting me mixed up with a guy that has a similar name. I've never been late on a payment in my life and I'm getting fed up with these calls, so my question is this: Is there any legal action I can take either against the guy that is causing me this trouble or the bill collecters that keep calling me?

By the way this is not the first time I've had trouble with people getting me mixed up with this same guy. About 20 years ago my credit was totally screwed up because this guy skipped out on paying a bill and somehow it got on my credit report. Took me 2 years to get that mess cleared up.

Come on now I know we have some lawyers on this board. I want to know what the heck I can do about this.

Get the name of the caller, the name of the company they work for and the mailing address for the company. Send them a certified letter detailing that they are mixing you up with someone else, and that any further attempted contact from them will result in a lawsuit. Document every time they call you, get the caller's name after the letter is sent. Get a free copy of your credit report from www.annualcreditreport.com/ if you haven't received one in the past year and make sure there is nothing reported erroneously on there.

I'm not a lawyer...but I did stay in a Holliday Inn Express at some point.

Get the name of the caller, the name of the company they work for and the mailing address for the company. Send them a certified letter detailing that they are mixing you up with someone else, and that any further attempted contact from them will result in a lawsuit. Document every time they call you, get the caller's name after the letter is sent. Get a free copy of your credit report from www.annualcreditreport.com/ if you haven't received one in the past year and make sure there is nothing reported erroneously on there.

I'm not a lawyer...but I did stay in a Holliday Inn Express at some point.

Thanks a lot Furor.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom