Question for the VG Board (1 Viewer)

St. Widge

Socially Distant
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think this is a question that can only be answered on the VG Board. Specifically, I think Twenty and buzd would have the most important input. So, here goes:

Why does Hawi'i all of a sudden have that apostrophe between the first and second "i"? I noticed it tonight on ESPN and since we have great expertise on the use of seemingly unnecessary apostrophes on this board, I figured I'd ask. Is that supposed to be a a possessive in their language? Is it a contraction of some type? If so, of what?

I never noticed this until recently but here are some pictures of it.

Fern%27s%20and%20fern%20allies%200824825225.jpg

shore-fishes-of-hawai-i-latitude-20-book-17298238.jpeg

antipop

utterly bonkers
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
i think there are 7 letters for hawaiispeakin

life is hard with only 7 letters

The Mongoose

Porkers?
Reaction score
Don't ever try to understand foreign cultures. Just assume they are weird and wrong, and if any of them give you any gruff, tell them that we invented Wal-Mart.

OP
St. Widge

St. Widge

Socially Distant
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Don't ever try to understand foreign cultures. Just assume they are weird and wrong, and if any of them give you any gruff, tell them that we invented Wal-Mart.

But, last time I checked. Hawai'ians were God fearing 'Mericans and not foreigners.

xpuma20x

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
For anyone thats curious for legit answers (I know right?), the apostrophe is part of a new movement to spell things in its natural cultural style....and the ' is for a phonetic glottal stop. A lot of African and Asian words/places/etc now have new spellings, but since we see Hawaii more than the others, we notice it more. I could be way off on this though

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom