Question for the VG Board (1 Viewer)

St. Widge

Socially Distant
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think this is a question that can only be answered on the VG Board. Specifically, I think Twenty and buzd would have the most important input. So, here goes:

Why does Hawi'i all of a sudden have that apostrophe between the first and second "i"? I noticed it tonight on ESPN and since we have great expertise on the use of seemingly unnecessary apostrophes on this board, I figured I'd ask. Is that supposed to be a a possessive in their language? Is it a contraction of some type? If so, of what?

I never noticed this until recently but here are some pictures of it.

Fern%27s%20and%20fern%20allies%200824825225.jpg

shore-fishes-of-hawai-i-latitude-20-book-17298238.jpeg

i think there are 7 letters for hawaiispeakin

life is hard with only 7 letters

Don't ever try to understand foreign cultures. Just assume they are weird and wrong, and if any of them give you any gruff, tell them that we invented Wal-Mart.

Don't ever try to understand foreign cultures. Just assume they are weird and wrong, and if any of them give you any gruff, tell them that we invented Wal-Mart.

But, last time I checked. Hawai'ians were God fearing 'Mericans and not foreigners.

For anyone thats curious for legit answers (I know right?), the apostrophe is part of a new movement to spell things in its natural cultural style....and the ' is for a phonetic glottal stop. A lot of African and Asian words/places/etc now have new spellings, but since we see Hawaii more than the others, we notice it more. I could be way off on this though

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom