Question From Falcons Fan (1 Viewer)

Playmaker0017

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Whats up guys...I know you have other things on your mind, but I’m curious about something. I’m a Matt Ryan fan but am open to drafting Zach Wilson at 4th overall. I actually think it’s the prudent move; however, people keep pushing back that Ryan has many years left. While I agree, I also think it’s similar to the Saints position after the 2016 season. 3 straight losing years with an aging QB and a top 10 pick in the upcoming draft where franchise QB’s will be available

So here is the question. Try and be objective if possible: would the Saints as a whole have been better off taking Deshaun Watson in 2017 overLattimore? I argue yes...they tried to move up for Mahomes if memory serves me right.

That is where I am with Matt Ryan this year. If a franchise quarterback is there at fourth they almost have to take him IMO. It’s hard to argue against Brees success the last 4 years, but anytime you can secure a franchise QB it’s a no brainer

Anyways, best of luck this weekend. Hopefully the players stay safe and the refs call a fair game

You don't pass up a franchise QB for a CB. If the Saints win a Super Bowl...perhaps Lattimore was the right decision, but if not of course the franchise QB in hindsight would have been the better choice. But of course there is a ton of hindsight in all of this. The Saints could have won a few Super Bowls with Lattimore being a key cog if the Saints/refs didn't fail the last few years.

With Qb's you just never know what you're going to get usually. IMO Ryan isn't a bad QB and you guys need talent in other areas that's more pressing. I wouldn't waste the pick on a QB but that's just me.

Playmaker, you make valid points, and you’re asking a great question. Both are great players, but from a long-term value standpoint, of course you go QB.
Are you all ok with riding with Ryan until he’s done while grooming a young QB?

I would say we will know this answer next year. It’s very hard to find a shut down corner just like a franchise QB, so knowing the Saints already had a franchise QB and a defense that needed help anywhere they could get it, Lattimore would still be my choice. I mean I’m sure Julio had much better games against the Saints, before Lattimore showed up.

I contend the Saints would look drastically different than today had we gotten Mahomes (or Watson) in that 2017 draft instead of Lattimore. It would've been a completely different domino effect than the one we saw occur that year but one that is too difficult to predict.

But given how amazing that class ended up being (not even just by Saints standards but by NFL standards) and the success of the team since that draft (best overall record in the league I believe), you'd be hard pressed to find many who would change much if anything had we an opportunity to do it all over again.

The Falcons have made some good draft picks in that same timeframe. The biggest difference between the two teams IMO though, is on the O Line. The Saints have been hitting home runs there while the Falcons have been hitting singles and striking out.

Last edited:
Whats up guys...I know you have other things on your mind, but I’m curious about something. I’m a Matt Ryan fan but am open to drafting Zach Wilson at 4th overall. I actually think it’s the prudent move; however, people keep pushing back that Ryan has many years left. While I agree, I also think it’s similar to the Saints position after the 2016 season. 3 straight losing years with an aging QB and a top 10 pick in the upcoming draft where franchise QB’s will be available

So here is the question. Try and be objective if possible: would the Saints as a whole have been better off taking Deshaun Watson in 2017 overLattimore? I argue yes...they tried to move up for Mahomes if memory serves me right.

That is where I am with Matt Ryan this year. If a franchise quarterback is there at fourth they almost have to take him IMO. It’s hard to argue against Brees success the last 4 years, but anytime you can secure a franchise QB it’s a no brainer

Anyways, best of luck this weekend. Hopefully the players stay safe and the refs call a fair game

I’m a huge Zach Wilson guy, so I’m biased.

But if you’re convinced that a franchise QB is there, you take him. The irony of that draft is that Mahomes is the QB that Payton wanted badly.

As good as Lattimore has been, I don’t think anyone would seriously say they’d rather have any CB over Mahomes right now.

You don't pass up a franchise QB for a CB. If the Saints win a Super Bowl...perhaps Lattimore was the right decision, but if not of course the franchise QB in hindsight would have been the better choice. But of course there is a ton of hindsight in all of this. The Saints could have won a few Super Bowls with Lattimore being a key cog if the Saints/refs didn't fail the last few years.

It’s completely hindsight driven. Just curious on your mindset. SP did make a move for Mahomes didn’t he?

I'm going to be honest with you about something. I've always liked Matt Ryan and thought he was a good to very good QB but....................................a lot like Tony Romo his misfortune is that he's played for a very poorly run and dysfunctional organization. Much like the Cowboys the Falcons have fallen victim to MANY over inflated egos who pound their chest and crow about how great they are but fail to put in the work to achieve that greatness. That is a culture and coaching failure.

Matt Ryan IS a franchise QB and he has been for a very long time.

I know that Falcons fans in large hate the Saints and hate Sean Payton but since 2006 how many head coaching changes have the Falcons had and how many have the Saints had? Sean Payton changed the culture of the Saints from the minute he walked into the building and until the Falcons allow or enforce the same sort of culture change all the franchise QB's on the planet won't make a difference.

JMO!

Playmaker, you make valid points, and you’re asking a great question. Both are great players, but from a long-term value standpoint, of course you go QB.
Are you all ok with riding with Ryan until he’s done while grooming a young QB?

Id start Ryan next year and then trade him with a 6/1 designation in 2022. He is still a top 10-12 quarterback who offers tremendous value to a team like the Bears or Colts

Saints lost a lot of games since we had drew brees under center. I cant really think of a game that we lost due to him. I can think of many that we lost because we had abysmal cornerback play. Drew is our qb and we needed defensive help. Lattimore in addition to drew has brought us several division tiles.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom