Question on out-of-state rifle purchase.. (1 Viewer)

Saintlybum

baaaa humbug
Reaction score
I havent bought a firearm out of state before and would like some info so i know what will be expected on my end. We located a rifle owned by a private person that i would like to purchase(Steyr ProHunter).

After we set price what else am i expected to pay?

Does he bring the rifle to a ffl to ship to my ffl or does HE ship it to my ffl.

Do i have to pay for both FFL fees or is it dutch?

Any other advice on how to protect myself from theft?

Thanks,
Marc

It needs to go through a FFL on both sides. You will need to decide who pays what fees. You could pay his FFL so you know you'll get the gun? A private sale is always a chance.

Any idea what the going rate is for each ffl and shipping? Honestly, the ffl could tell me $100 and i wouldnt know better.

Different ones charge different prices. Price around.

I paid our local FFL $40 to do my background check and receive the gun. I bought from a dealer and the shipping was included.

You only need the FFL license dealer in the purchaser's state. $25 is the most common fee I see, but I have seen it up to $50.
Per the BATF
ATF HomeFirearmsFrequently Asked QuestionsUnlicensed Persons

Q: To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA?
A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(d), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

Q: From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?
A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

Q: May an unlicensed person obtain a firearm from an out-of-State source if the person arranges to obtain the firearm through a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s own State?
A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.

A person can ship a gun? I was wrongly assuming a private citizen couldn't ship a firearm. Learn something new everyday :)

You can ship guns, but the carriers are the hang up. Some don't mess with it while others do. Handguns are the hardest. Fed Ex does it(long guns) but you need to check with them for rules.

I didn't need an FFL to ship back to manufacturers. Not sure you need one to ship from, but you do need to ship TO one.

UPS and Fed-Ex will ship them, but you must take them to a main hub. Not sure if this applies in other states, but we have The UPS Store here, they will not take one in to ship. has to be the main hub in the city your in. Same for Fed-Ex

My local sporting goods store charges $35 for a transfer.

Thanks guys, transaction is going smooth. Being charged $25 for transfer....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom