Question on Superdome & Blackouts? (1 Viewer)

Saint Tillage

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I was reading an article about the superdome by a san diego writer and he was saying something about the saints covering up 10,000 seats in the past to aviod NFL blackout rules. I remember jacksonville doing this but not the saints. Can someone fill me in on this.

Also while I'm thinking about has the superdome ever had 90,000 people in it for a football game. I need to settle an argument with a friend of mine.

87,500 was the attendance record for the Dome but it was for a Rolling Stones concert.

This year's BCS Championship set the record. I don't remember what the number was, but I think it was $80,000 plus.

90,000,00 people seats are not available in the Superdome i think it's like 82,000,00

Any link to the story?

The Saints simply use a smaller configuration than the Sugar Bowl.

In 2004, the blackout threshhold was lowered to c. 65,000. Seats weren't actually covered, they just weren't sold. It was never as great as 10,000 (nowhere near that), so the sportswriter you are talking about is a lazy maroon who does not bother to check facts.

In 2004, the blackout threshhold was lowered to c. 65,000. Seats weren't actually covered, they just weren't sold. It was never as great as 10,000 (nowhere near that), so the sportswriter you are talking about is a lazy maroon who does not bother to check facts.

Thats what I thought. It is amazing the stuff people will make up to slant a story. I'm sorry I didnt copy the link. I think I googled saints blackout and sifted through some pages to find it.

as soon as i saw the cowboys white out texas stadium

i said to myself "someone on SR is going to make a thread about this"

The following must be noted:

1. It must be noted that in "big" games ( Super Bowl, Sugar Bowl, BCS Championship), the sideline plaza seats are moved back into a wider configuration (basically the baseball setup) which enables the installation of about 10,000 additional seats in the plaza level (but at the expense of sight lines along the plaza sideline seats, which are pushed back much farther from the field). Thus, the difference between the capacity for regular season Saints games and "event games".

2. The actual number of seats in the Superdome (not seating capacity) has also changed over time for various reasons. The addition of a second level of suites (below the original suites) added seats. The elimination of the six projection camera ports used for the old gondola TV screen (each about the size of an entry portal to the seating area) added seats. Some seats were added in alcoves in the upper most Terrace corners, where a walkway linking to the Terrace top was previously located (example where the "Ceiling Fans" sit. The addition of the new second-level entry portals in the Terrace level subtracted seats. Etc., Etc.

3. GW93 is correct, the seats weren't sold were considered those that had "obstructed views". A good example of some of those are located in the terrace where the sideline seats meet the end zone section.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom