Question: Position Coach to Coordinator rule (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Does anybody know if there is an NFL rule that prevents hiring a position coach as a Defensive Coordinator if the position coach is from another Organization?

I heard rumor there was such a rule, but I dont know the details.

Does it effect us?
And why or why not?
Would it prevent us from hiring Carnell Lake as or DC?
What about Ed Donatell?

Some coaches have stipulations in their contracts that state there must be compensation awarded if the coach opts to make a lateral move but I've never heard of a restriction on an upward move. I could be wrong though.

I don't know the current rule, but historically the NFL has always allowed an assistant to leave his team for another job if it was a "promotion", or higher level job.

IE: assistant position coach to position coach, position coach to coordinator, etc.

Teams have gotten creative over the years - I can even recall a coordinator being allowed to leave one team to become the coordinator at another team because they were also calling him the "assistant head coach".

I believe a head coach even jumped ship once by being named head coach/general manager by the new team.

Again - I can't speak for the current status of the rules.

The way I understand it is this:

A team can block a coach from interviewing if it's for the same position. i.e. DC to DC, LB coach to LB coach.

I don't think a team can block an interview if it's a promotion. i.e. DC to HC, or LB coach to DC.

Now, that coach themselves can tell everyone to pound sand if they like where they are at.

So, if you're talking about our possible interest in the SF LB coach as our DC, there is nothing that I am aware of that can prevent that discussion, except for that coach themselves. Now, the team can offer them a lot of money to stay too.

As far as coaches go in the eye of the league, there are only 2 tiers: Head coach and assistant coaches. A position coach interviewing for a coordinator position is still considered a lateral move and would require the contract-holding team's permission to interview.

An NFL team cannot interview an assistant coach who is under contract as an assistant with another team for the following season without the permission of his current organization. Teams will usually give permission upon request, particularly if a lower level coach is set to take an offensive or defensive coordinator position elsewhere, but the current team is not required to give permission.

Read more: NFL Rules for Interviewing Assistant Coaches | eHow.com NFL Rules for Interviewing Assistant Coaches | eHow.com

So basically for example a DL coach to DC is still considered a lateral move, so the team is not REQUIRED to allow them to interview. But teams often allow them to interview because it does not set a good precedent.​

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom