Question: Re: Bushrod and tender offer (1 Viewer)

CajunSaint08

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I know it has been stated the Saints won't franchise Bushrod (and I am glad they are not), but does that mean they will not tender him an offer?

And if they do, can they tender him a 2nd round offer meaning, if a team signs him, they must give the Saints their 2nd round pick.

I might be confused on "tenders" so if someone could explain them better, I would appreciate. If the Saints were to tender him a 2nd round offer, do you think other teams would jump at the offer?

GEAUX SAINTS!!!

Only restricted free agents (players with less than 4 years experience) can get tendered. Bushrod is an unrestricted free agent.

Transition Tag. How much will that cost?

I believe that's the average of the top 10 salaries, as opposed to top 5. You get no compensation though. The transition tag hardly ever gets used these days. The difference between top 5 salaries and top 10 salaries, depending on position, is so minimal now.

This OL thing is a bigger problem I think than many admit. We are going to need some O Linemen brought in here for sure, now I know Bushrod wasn't the best but he wasn't terrible either and if he is let go We need to draft a good tackle in this draft or find a good one off the street. I'm not sold on our Center either....but we will see.

This OL thing is a bigger problem I think than many admit. We are going to need some O Linemen brought in here for sure, now I know Bushrod wasn't the best but he wasn't terrible either and if he is let go We need to draft a good tackle in this draft or find a good one off the street. I'm not sold on our Center either....but we will see.

I have a feeling that if Bushrod does not agree to the price they have in mind, then they have no problems handing the keys to Charles Brown or Marcel Jones.

I think Bushrod re-signs though. He's in for a rude awakening on the open market, which is saturated with talent, both in the UFA pool and in the draft pool. The laws of supply and demand are not in his favor this off-season.

I see Bushrod going to the open market and signing easily. I also see us letting him walk just as easily. It's Browns job to lose, We should draft late round depth to compete with Jones.

I'm starting to feel if Lane Johnson is somehow there at #15 then we should pull the trigger. I want a pass rusher so badly but I think he'd be the better investment.

I believe that's the average of the top 10 salaries, as opposed to top 5. You get no compensation though. The transition tag hardly ever gets used these days. The difference between top 5 salaries and top 10 salaries, depending on position, is so minimal now.

Pat Kirwan gave a breakdown of using the transitional tag on the WR position (specifically Brian Hartline with the Dolphins) the other day.. The difference between the top 5 salaries and top 10 salaries at WR was nearly $2 million.. He was of the belief that if you can save $2 million on your cap and still have right of first refusal, using the transition tag is worth it. Worst case, a player's value gets set higher than you thought or were willing to pay and you let them walk. They were gone if you didn't do something and gone if they got a better offer either way.

Pat Kirwan gave a breakdown of using the transitional tag on the WR position (specifically Brian Hartline with the Dolphins) the other day.. The difference between the top 5 salaries and top 10 salaries at WR was nearly $2 million.. He was of the belief that if you can save $2 million on your cap and still have right of first refusal, using the transition tag is worth it. Worst case, a player's value gets set higher than you thought or were willing to pay and you let them walk. They were gone if you didn't do something and gone if they got a better offer either way.

Have poison pill contracts been banned? That's probably another reason teams don't use the transition tag anymore.

Can't tender him anything either you tag him or you let him go and explore the market and see what he can get.

If the player wants to come back he'll go out and get offers, then bring them back to the Saints to match those (again.. if he REALLY wants to return). If the Saints can match or come close, then he'll come back.

If the Saints can't match it then JB can either chase the dollars or come back home at a lower $ number.

Which Nicks decided to get paid. I don't have a problem with that I just had a problem with his reasoning. Just say you went to TB because of the money don't criticize the offense as justification for your decision.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom