question regarding remington 870 magnum (1 Viewer)

booha64

Veteran
Reaction score
Just purchases my son an 870 magnum wingmaster at a gun show. Barrel is stamped 3"magnum, an I assumed it would fire a 2 3/4 in shell. Loaded some 00buck shells, an it fires the first shell, and ejects it, but does not reload a new shell. Question: Does it only shoot 3 inch shells?

The info seems hazy, but the best I can tell is that unless its stamped 2 3/4-3, you should only load the shells the barrels is specifically stamped for. It seems that even if you have one marked 2 3/4, it will still chamber a 3 inch round. I would not advise that though. Also, FYI, Remington adds an M into the serial number for magnum able shotguns.

Luckily, my Mossberg shoots both.

Just purchases my son an 870 magnum wingmaster at a gun show. Barrel is stamped 3"magnum, an I assumed it would fire a 2 3/4 in shell. Loaded some 00buck shells, an it fires the first shell, and ejects it, but does not reload a new shell. Question: Does it only shoot 3 inch shells?

For the best and surest answer you should get/read the owners manual. You don't need advice from people who "may" know the answer when it comes to gun operation and safety. From here on out refer to owners manuals only. They can be ordered or downloaded online for cheap or even free. Safe shooting.

appreciate the response guys; am downloading manuel now.

Just in case I am not confused... A Remington 870 Wingmaster is a pump shotgun, not a semi-automatic. You have to pump it to load the next shell after firing. Shoot, pump, shoot again. :) It should shoot both 2 3/4 as well as 3" shells.

If that wasn't the issue, I apologize for the Madden-esque description. :)

Some of you guys are funny...

If it has 3" stamped on the barrel it will shoot a 2-3/4" to 3" shell.

If its not picking up the new shell after you shoot the initial shell you're having a mechanism problem.

The 870 is an American classic! Take your gun to a gunsmith and I'm sure it can be fixed with no problem.

For the best and surest answer you should get/read the owners manual. You don't need advice from people who "may" know the answer when it comes to gun operation and safety. From here on out refer to owners manuals only. They can be ordered or downloaded online for cheap or even free. Safe shooting.

All due respect, thats one place I looked myself, and it was very much lacking in formation as to model numbers and what would chamber what round. Considering that all 870 barrels of all chamber sizes will interchange with all receivers, its a very good question by the OP. Hence, I was specifiic in mentioning the stamps on the barrel and the serial number designation.

I have one and I know if it is stamped 3" and is a pump it will shoot and eject either 2 3/4 or 3". You should be able to run shells through it without shooting it and get the same results since the recoil does not have anything to do with ejecting or reloading a pump shotgun.

Shooting 2 3/4" in a 3" chamber pump shotgun is no problem, but have to make sure to cycle the action all the way back. Short shucking the fired round could be what is causing this problem, if no other mechanical issues exsit.

Shooting 2 3/4" in a 3" chamber pump shotgun is no problem, but have to make sure to cycle the action all the way back. Short shucking the fired round could be what is causing this problem, if no other mechanical issues exsit.

Short shucking is a terrible thing!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom