QUESTION: What are the formulas to convert....... (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Another engineer here at work gives me alot of crap about how much time I spend here on SR.com...... He's NOT a Saints fan so he knows little about this site.... I tried to explain to him that this site is FULL of VERY intellegent people who have tons of resources and that you can virtually find the answer to almost all types of questions due to the depth of knowledge from it's memebers....... He said alright, here's a test; it's something that I've been trying to find out myself:

What are the formulas to convert unit vectors in ijk form to roll pitch and yaw?

Last edited:
i don't know if i would believe that stuff....i mean, you can't really calculate things like that and be accurate

i don't know if i would believe that stuff....i mean, you can't really calculate things like that and be accurate

Yeah, if you just sit back and think about it, that's a lot of numbers. There is no way they can get that right.

Ya need to ask this guy

ActHoffmanRainman.jpg

Z″(α)oX′(β)oZ(γ) = [ (X′(β)z(γ)) o z(α) o (X′(β)z(γ))−1 ] o X′(β) o z(γ)

= [ {z(γ)x(β)z(−γ) z(γ)} o z(α) o {z(−γ) z(γ)x(−β)z(−γ)} ] o [ z(γ)x(β)z(−γ) ] o z(γ)

= z(γ)x(β)z(α)x(−β)x(β) = z(γ)x(β)z(α) .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tait-Bryan_angles

Last edited:
I'm sitting next to an dude that retired from the FAA and works on the flight simulators with me and he has no idea what you're talking about. :shrug:

I'm in building with a huge NASA logo on it. It's full of people who talk that kinda junk all the time. They can write it too, but the intricacies of grammar, spelling, punctuation, MSWord and Powerpoint mystify them. That's where I come in.

Moral: You don't have to actually understand something to edit it. :hihi:

I'm in building with a huge NASA logo on it. It's full of people who talk that kinda junk all the time. They can write it too, but the intricacies of grammar, spelling, punctuation, MSWord and Powerpoint mystify them. That's where I come in.

Moral: You don't have to actually understand something to edit it. :hihi:

Ah, the infamous tech editor, I work with a few of you guys.

DD, go study that AFTO 00-5-1 and get back to me. :hihi:

Z″(α)oX′(β)oZ(γ) = [ (X′(β)z(γ)) o z(α) o (X′(β)z(γ))−1 ] o X′(β) o z(γ)

= [ {z(γ)x(β)z(−γ) z(γ)} o z(α) o {z(−γ) z(γ)x(−β)z(−γ)} ] o [ z(γ)x(β)z(−γ) ] o z(γ)

= z(γ)x(β)z(α)x(−β)x(β) = z(γ)x(β)z(α) .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tait-Bryan_angles

Yes, we have that formula; but what we are trying to do is to take this formula and incorporate it into a spreadsheet (such as Excell)....

Ultimately, here's the situation of why we are needing this:

We make canopys for aircraft. Some of these canopys need to have different types of coatings on their concaved surfaces. We have a robot that has the capability to do this but it needs the roll pitch and yaw's to be able to program it correctly. We do have all the "points" of the surfaces on CAD..... The idea is to be able to simply open up an Excell sheet with this formulation and type in the "ijk" values ("points" in CAD) which will pop up the Roll Pitch and Yaw values.....

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom