Question what is first reported... (1 Viewer)

aintsaintsgreat

Who Dat Nation, Unite!
Reaction score

I know that PFT isn't always a reliable source, but they are suggesting that first impressions may be false impressions. It is a "rumor mill" site, but nonetheless, these headlines can be found on PFT:

http://profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

POSTED 9:22 p.m. EST, March 2, 2008
MOSS, PATS CLOSE, OR ARE THEY?

POSTED 9:07 p.m. EST, March 2, 2008
CRUMPLER'S AGENT DENIES REPORT OF TITANIC DEAL

POSTED 7:08 p.m. EST, March 2, 2008
ALGE IS A TITAN

PFT is awesome...Yeah sometimes they jump the gun but they always let you know "what they are hearing." I WANT to know rumblings from around the league even if they aren't always 100% accurate.

The NFL Network reported the Crumpler to Tennessee deal was done too by the way. In fact, PFT got their news straight from Shefter on the Crumpler deal:

Instead, Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that Crumpler has joined the Titans, a team flush with cap space and in desperate need of a boost to the passing game.

Going further, they also go the Moss report from the Network:

There's a report tonight from Adam Schefter of NFL Network that the Patriots and receiver Randy Moss are close to a deal.
Per Schefter, the Patriots have an offer on the table that would make Moss one of the highest-paid receivers in the league, and it's sounding more and more as if a deal will get done.

Last edited:
PFT does a much better job these days of referencing sources...and when they don't they pretty much tell you up front that they are unsubstantiated rumors.

A lot of rumors they get from people like us...in fact they "broke" the MM car accident news after one of our own posters broke it. No one believed it, but they hit the nail on the head.

Now, a few years back and it's a completely different site in terms of credibility.

I used to think they were making things up when I first learned of the site a couple years ago. I started visiting the site regularly over the last year, though, and now love the site.

The key is that if a rumour is unsubstantiated, they will tell you that straight-up in their story.

by far my favorite nfl news site. they don't always get it right,but when they don't, they're honest about it. and they are right more often than not.

I love pft, have since it was nfltalk.com.

Good humor in thier stories

PFT is awesome...Yeah sometimes they jump the gun but they always let you know "what they are hearing." I WANT to know rumblings from around the league even if they aren't always 100% accurate.

That's kind of my take on PFT, too. It's good to consider the source. The info we get is only as good as the source we get it from and likewise, who they get it from.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom