Questions about our salary cap situation (1 Viewer)

JPSaints87

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Now with the Draft out of the way, does anyone know what's our current salary #s? The last time I checked, we had a little over $1M. Also, anything on extending Lattimore, Big Ram & this year's franchise tag, Marcus Williams? I think Williams's $10M+ tag is a #1 priority, just to free up some cap.

None of the draftees have signed yet. So they don't impact the cap. However, the UDFAs have signed. But, is it still the top 51? I forget how that works.

I’m just waiting for the first domino to fall as far as Ramcyzk, Marcus Williams, and Lattimore’s long term contracts are concerned.

IMO, Armstead has 1 more season with the Saints, and unless he takes a huge pay-cut, he’s gone. I think Ram is the long-term LT, and Hurst and the rookie from Kentucky battle it out for RT duties.

It’s Ramcyzk and Williams’ situations that are really putting the brakes on the Saints being able to do anything else of consequence. Lattimore is in limbo with his legal troubles.

The salary cap includes that for draft picks. A team can’t draft if they don’t have the draft space to sign their picks before they draft.
That's not quite right. Every draft pick is considered to be under a 1 year rookie vet tender until they sign their contract. That means that they all are below or equal to the the lowest salary under the top 51 rule. They don't count until they start signing their contracts and the signing bonus starts to count regardless of the salary. By then I expect an extension for at least 1 veteran (Ramcyk, Williams, or Lattimore) or possibly 2.

According to Spotrac, the Saints currently have a little over $833k in cap space available, and that doesn’t include any $ towards the draft picks (top 51).

They’re basically stonewalled until something happens with Ram, Williams, or Latt.

...unless they decide to release another vet like Murray...

IMO, Armstead has 1 more season with the Saints, and unless he takes a huge pay-cut, he’s gone. I think Ram is the long-term LT, and Hurst and the rookie from Kentucky battle it out for RT duties.
Armstead does not need to take a pay cut, but rather negotiate an extension. He is currently paid an average of $13 million a year which is a relative bargain for a solid young LT.

Armstead does not need to take a pay cut, but rather negotiate an extension. He is currently paid an average of $13 million a year which is a relative bargain for a solid young LT.
$13M/year is reasonable for a LT of Armstead’s caliber... but Ramcyzk is about to be among the highest paid OTs in the league, Marcus Williams is going to be among the league’s higher paid FS’s, and Lattimore is either about to get BIG TIME #1 CB $$, or the Saints are going to need to put big $$ into the position somewhere else.
Hurst is making $3M/year.

FWIW, I hope you’re right. I don’t want to lose TA.

I just see that the Saints cap issues are not over.

Team Cap Space: $219,354 plus $1,075,000 on June 2
I am very concerned that if we can't get our big three to sign a reasonable extension to spread the major cap hit to 2023+, we may have to trade one of them. When the season starts our cap has to cover not just the top 51 but everyone on the roster including practice squad and injured reserve. Also without relief from new contracts, we may not be able to franchise any players next year. Over the Cap shows 2.8 million dollars room next year with only 31 players under contract and no quarterback. We can make moves but it will be painful. I am particularly concerned with keeping Ramczyk. We may not be able to keep Lattimore or Williams unless they agree to new contracts pushing the major cap hits past 2022.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom