Questions about total knee replacement surgery (1 Viewer)

Great advice from the last two posters.

Is there a particular reason you settled on an athletic trainer at a sports medicine place instead of a physical therapist at a rehabilitation center? I would think the rehab center would be set up much better to handle your needs, not to mention more experienced in handling cases like yours due to sheer volume.

Also, I'll reiterate again that I STRONGLY urge you to get inpatient rehab if it is at all available to you. Having a staff and physicians in your immediate care that know what you are experiencing and need can make a crucial difference in allowing you to start your rehab from the start of your recovery. If you wait until feels ok to start exercising, it will probably already be too late to gain a full range of motion.

Sports Medicine because my brother is the trainer. He's been working with me for a while now and the trust factor is there.

Speaking from my experience of 7 knee surgeries including 2 transplants, try to get a workout regimen in before your surgery, to work on weight loss and upper body strength (I like the rowing machine--accomplishes both.)

Being on crutches sucks either way, but the rehab was much easier for me after surgeries where I had a head start of getting back in shape.

Thanks for the input! And sheesh, SEVEN surgeries?! I thought I had it bad with 3.

Update

Well, my surgery is scheduled for Tuesday and today is my last day at work for a while. It is really starting to hit me that I'm actually getting a piece of my leg cut out and replaced. I'm anxious, but not terrified, so that's a plus. But I've done what I needed to in order to prepare myself mentally and physically, so I guess there's nothing to it but to just get to it now.

:9:

FOLLOW PRECAUTIONS. Do get rehab. 4 artifical hips surgeries . Before that many surgeried for deformed hips as toddler

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Not for now, but for the future: Make sure your dentist gives you antibiotic prophylaxis before any dental treatment that involves bleeding. It is a must with total knee and hip replacement patients.

Well, my surgery is scheduled for Tuesday and today is my last day at work for a while. It is really starting to hit me that I'm actually getting a piece of my leg cut out and replaced. I'm anxious, but not terrified, so that's a plus. But I've done what I needed to in order to prepare myself mentally and physically, so I guess there's nothing to it but to just get to it now.

:9:

Good luck! I think in the end, you'll be very happy you had it done. When things get tough in the rehab, realize that the less you fight through it, the more likely it is you'll end up just like you were before the surgery, except poorer and having gone through a ton of pain. Push through it, and you'll be rewarded the rest of your life.

I just want to say that the advice you got from Brown is very poor. DO YOUR REHAB with this surgery. It will be painful and horrible, but it is absolutely necessary. Not to speculate about his mother (whom I don't know), but there are times when age, weight, level of activity, other conditions, etc. can inhibit someone's gait to the point that a poor recovery from a knee replacement would be unnoticeable. For a younger, more active person, however, not doing the rehab will cause a noticeable hitch in the way someone walks and will limit range of motion, running, etc. Your best bet is to choose a rehab facility (inpatient would really be most helpful for the first week or so, providing that your insurance covers it for knees), and go talk with them about the recovery time frame and expectations. The physical therapists there deal with these types of recoveries on a daily basis and will be able to give you an accurate list of expectations as well as a general time frame for returning to work.

I'm an Orthopedic Implant Sales Rep and this is very good advice. Ask your physician to prescribe a Cold Therapy Unit and CPM post-operatively. The Cold Therapy Unit is a mini ice cooler which circulates ice cold water through a pad placed over your knee bandage. In essence it takes the place of multiple ice packs and helps with swelling and pain. The CPM (continuous passive motion) is a device you place your leg in that begins your range of motion stretching/bending right after surgery. I echo the sentiment that rehab will not feel good but the work you put into it will be what you get out of it.

If all goes well you could be back to work within 30 days, albeit in a lighter work capacity. Ask you physician which implant company he is using and visit their website. There should be more than enough information available to answer your questions.

Good Luck!

3 total knees here (one gave out). Get in shape, eat healthy. You are young and should spring back quickly although a month seems a little short. You are going to be tired a lot from the after affects from the anesthesia. They say don't take naps. I say sleep when you can. push yourself during re-hab...it will be worth it. Consider taking up yoga after re-hab. Cheaper than therapy and it will continue the healing process and flexibility.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I wanted to update one last time. I am now 2 weeks post surgery and ahead of schedule. I'm walking with a cane, and working hard on rehab. Thanks for all the kind words and advice.

Glad to hear its going well. So that xray has be wondering- do you know what they use to replace the cartilege between the new "bones"?

Glad to hear it is going well. How is the pain level?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom