Questions for cat owners (1 Viewer)

Well - something happened when I posted this thread. SR has been acting mightily strange for the last week or so...

To repeat what I asked in my opening post (which has now completely disappeared)

My husband has finally relented and agreed to me adopting a cat from the shelter.

Due to the place we live (major road in the backyard) we are contemplating adopting an indoor cat. I have previously had an outdoor cat when I interned on a farm 30 years ago, but this time we don't think it will be safe for the cat if it is allowed to roam. I'm not sure however if that is fair to the cat.

We have visited 2 cats - both females at the local shelter.

Both (one age 18 month and one aged around 3 years) have lived their entire life indoors and the oldest doesn't even want to go out into the outside playarea of the shelter.

If we do chose an indoor cat- would 2 cats be better than one (company). Our daughter has moved out and we have no kids at home anymore.

Well - something happened when I posted this thread. SR has been acting mightily strange for the last week or so...

To repeat what I asked in my opening post (which has now completely disappeared)

My husband has finally relented and agreed to me adopting a cat from the shelter.

Due to the place we live (major road in the backyard) we are contemplating adopting an indoor cat. I have previously had an outdoor cat when I interned on a farm 30 years ago, but this time we don't think it will be safe for the cat if it is allowed to roam. I'm not sure however if that is fair to the cat.

Every outdoor cat I've ever had has gotten run over. Every single one. The inside cats I've had liked being inside. They never did a god damn thing anyway and would have just been hanging out under the house until they chased something into the street which means certain death anyway had they been outside cats.

The only reason they want to go outside is to see what's going on and then they don't do anything out there until they get run over.

ETA: To address the 2 cats vs. 1 thing, I don't think they care. Cats are so awesome because they really want nothing to do with any other living thing unless it's to kill them. I'm a dog owner again and sometimes I miss having cats, but then I remember feeling like they were always plotting to kill me and that takes care of that. I'd start with one and if it seems lonely (which I don't think I've ever seen) then get another one.

My opinion is that once the cat is older they rarely fool with each other. we had 3, now 2 inside and the most they would really do is lay with each other every once in a while. Once they get past a certain age they dont play fight anymore like dogs seem to do.

had an inside cat for maybe 10 years (and NY inside - like no outside ever)
moved to NO and he bacme inside/outside and loved it - eventually (16-17?) he went out attacked by 3 dogs but it was kind of like apollo creed going down to ivan drago - it's the way he wanted to go

we have 2 cats now that were inside for 2 years and are now inside/outside and do just fine

best is to get cats as little kitties so they imprint on you and don't act like you're an interloper in their life)
but yes 2 cats b/c a bored cat is trouble

I am a long time volunteer for a no-kill animal rescue here in FL.. We do not ever recommend having an "outdoor" cat, especially in situations like yours, and we even ask you to sign a paper saying that you will keep your cat indoors. Your cat will be just fine :) If fact, my cats that were once outdoor strays, want nothing to do with getting even near the door, as they know what a cruel world it can be out there...congrats on your decision to rescue, and save two lives, really (your new cat, and space in a shelter to save another) 2 cats are usually always better than one, but if you are just looking for one cat, there are plenty of rescue cats that need homes, that would prefer to be the only cat..

Thanks for your input - I really appreciate it.

We have had dogs for +20 years but the last one did technically belong to our daughter so she took it with her when she moved to her own appartment. Since both my husband and I have busy careers, we know that we don't have enough spare time for a dog, but would be able to provide a loving home for a cat or two.

We're not looking to adopt a kitten. It seems that it is far easier for the shelter to find new homes for kittens than for adult cats so we have decided that an adult or maybe even a senior would be a better fit for us.

Thanks for your input - I really appreciate it.

We're not looking to adopt a kitten. It seems that it is far easier for the shelter to find new homes for kittens than for adult cats so we have decided that an adult or maybe even a senior would be a better fit for us.

:worthy::worthy: you literally have no idea how cool it is to hear that! Can I clone you? lol! No, but seriously, you will be so happy, and it will be so rewarding.. Older cats, senior cats, and black cats have it so hard in shelters, every day, lose their lives over things out of their control. Wherever you go, just talk with the adoption counselors, and let them help to guide you to find the right match. Thanks to you, and your husband for being rescue angels!

I moved to a small dead end road so there's almost no road danger, but there are some resident tomcats and bold coyotes. My cats were accustomed to going outside so I built a cat pen out of 3' metal wire and 7' polypropylene deer fencing with pet door access from the house. Aside from occasionally sneaking out the door they are content with the pen and glass porch and I'm content with them not being coyote snacks.

I've found that cat interaction depends highly on each cat's personality. I've had some that preferred being solitary, some that enjoyed cats, and some that enjoyed dogs. Something about the new location or 2500mi drive made the current ones bond quite well.

AAAAAHHHHH!1! a SMALL DEAD END ROAD!!!

PS:... ok, this made sense when there were 5 posts back to back...

I suppose it depends on home much time you're home. If you're out a lot, I would suggest getting two just so they have someone to play with (although they'll probably sleep the day away anyway). The problem is that sometimes cats don't get along. That's the issue we have now.

As far as getting a kitten or at least a young cat, be wary of the shots they give them. jillimac, hopefully you can provide some insight to this too. One of our kittens died shortly after leaving the pound. Our vet told us that she had FIP It's basically kitty AIDS (in his words). Feline Infectious Peritonitis. In our case, it was found that the shots that were given to them were not administered correctly or timely. Too many shots at one time for a kitten can weaken their immune system so low that they'll get FIP. They die shortly afterwards.

Not to throw you off the excitement of getting a fuddy (or fuddies), but I thought I should at least mention it.

we have two indoor cats that don't seem to like each other very much....oh well...they will get over it

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom