Questions For The Football Gurus (1 Viewer)

SaintsFanInLA

BREES SMASH!!
Reaction score
I have no hidden agenda here, just actual curiosity. What is at the foundation of our defense being so bad? What is the crux of the matter? Is it coaching? Is it conditioning? Is it the players? Is it the scheme? Exactly what is our biggest issue? What needs to be fixed FIRST?

I see what looks like blown assignments or people out of position, which could be the players or the coaching. I see defenders 8 yards back when only 3 are needed for a 1st. I see defenders dropping sure interceptions, etc. I mean, I know we have key injuries but I'm just confused as to whether that is truly a legitimate reason or are there more salient issues that need to be addressed.

And is there REALISTICALLY cause for optimism for this season being that some starters will return from injury? Or is it already time to look forward to next year's draft and free agency?

bclemms

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
Not that PFF is everything but it's a pretty good jumping off point. This is year to date.

Before anyone starts screaming about how Crawley and Moore have done better than that in coverage, it's their tackling and run support that has them rated so low. Their coverage has been "below average" but the run support has been horrid.

Attachments

SAINTFAN45

WHO DAT !
Reaction score
It starts up front , if the defensive line can't get pressure , stop the run , hold a gap , or force double teams , We are in trouble . It starts there because if the can't do the afore mentions then it is a losing battle first for the linebackers because they can't make tackles when they are always blocked by a Olineman up field . It then makes the secondary cover longer than possible . All that said I think injury is our biggest issue , we are completely dessimated with injuries

bclemms

Reaction score
In a sea of bad, Laurinaitis stands out as the worst.

So his leadership IS rubbing off on the team.
Kruger and Harper as well. It's like every season we have to have a Champ Bailey or Brandon Browner to come in and suck in the name of leadership. It worked so well with Browner last season the brain trust on Airline decided to triple up.

crosswatt

Gone Fishing.
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Not that PFF is everything but it's a pretty good jumping off point. This is year to date.

Before anyone starts screaming about how Crawley and Moore have done better than that in coverage, it's their tackling and run support that has them rated so low. Their coverage has been "below average" but the run support has been horrid.
Cumulative I assume? Or are the counting special teams plays as well? Harris didn't play a single defensive snap last night.

bclemms

Reaction score
Cumulative I assume? Or are the counting special teams plays as well? Harris didn't play a single defensive snap last night.
Do not include special teams. They are cumulative, pretty sure they are going off number of snaps on the season for CB order.

Surviving Saint

NFL Fan
Reaction score
? Exactly what is our biggest issue? What needs to be fixed FIRST?
Some might disagree, but fire the entire defensive staff. Thats right, I said it. Dennis Allen, gone. Vitt gone, etc. Next fire McMahon.

Bring in a proven DC and let him choose his own staff from top to bottom. Bring in a proven ST coach and let him fix this blundering mess.

Start there and then there will be hope. Keeping these assistants and only changing the top guy is clearly not working. We have talent but a proven guy will bring in better talent.

26ISTHEMAN

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Some might disagree, but fire the entire defensive staff. Thats right, I said it. Dennis Allen, gone. Vitt gone, etc. Next fire McMahon.

Bring in a proven DC and let him choose his own staff from top to bottom. Bring in a proven ST coach and let him fix this blundering mess.

Start there and then there will be hope. Keeping these assistants and only changing the top guy is clearly not working. We have talent but a proven guy will bring in better talent.
It's hard to argue against this. Over the years, def coordinators have changed, schemes have changed, personnel has changed, the only constant are the position coaches, namely Vitt, Johnson and McMahon. I love Vitt for standing up for the team during the bounty fiasco, but he has to be replaced. Johnson and McMahon simply haven't done anything in their long tenures here. Too many players with great promise have come and gone fro it to be anything other than coaching, IMO. Besides, what do we have to lose?

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

ST aside there is also the argument that constant change/upheaval has been a major problem
communication & assignments seem to be the problem
bringing in another coach just makes more of the same problem

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Five questions before Week 2: New Orleans Saints at Las Vegas Raiders Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Bucs’ Bruce Arians questions Tom Brady’s decision-making — and ‘grit’ SR News Page Articles 0
rsmith2783 Questions regarding the Offensive Line Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 13
Five questions before Week 1: Tampa Bay Buccaneers at New Orleans Saints Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Need a reminder of Drew Brees' iconic Monday Night football history? Check out his pre-game cleats Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints vs. Raiders: Monday Night Football open thread Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Update: Cantrell allows High School Football to start with some fans @ games. Still no word on Saints Games Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 6
Nightshade If 2020 was a football team lol Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 2
Fan confidence high as Saints head to Vegas for tonight’s Monday Night Football showdown Saints RSS News Feeds 0
How the Saints can attack the Raiders through the air tonight on Monday Night Football Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus Saints vs. Raiders odds, line: NFL picks, Monday Night Football predictions from model on 100-65 roll SR News Page Articles 0
Fleur-de-Links, September 21: Injury reports and betting odds heading into Saints Monday Night Football game Saints RSS News Feeds 0
No sleep, all football: How Sean Payton got his foot in the NFL door thanks to Jon Gruden Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Patriots vs. Seahawks: Sunday Night Football open thread Saints RSS News Feeds 0
WATCH: Week 2 preview video, Saints and Raiders on Monday Night Football Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints social media reactions to Joe Burrow’s Thursday Night Football debut Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Bengals vs. Browns: Thursday Night Football open thread Saints RSS News Feeds 0
woohoosaint Roddy White gets consideration for Pro Football HoF...but Colston doesn't Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 47
El Caliente N/S Pro Football Hall of Fame First Year Nominees Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 24
Social media reactions to Monday Night Football snoozefest Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Titans vs. Broncos: Monday Night Football open thread Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Steelers vs. Giants: Monday Night Football open thread Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Making sense of pandemic football policies in New Orleans while applying common sense Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints Twitter reactions to Chiefs dominating win on Thursday Night Football Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Cincy Saint Football Outsiders predict Saints-Chiefs Super Bowl Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 8
Consiglieri Football season: chance of happening is approaching 100% Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 11
superchuck500 It's going to be sloppy - just chill and be happy we have football Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 33
RedJem We made it... Football is back!! Season opener / Saints updates 9-10-20 Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 26
El Caliente Happy 1st Day of NFL Football Everyone Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 3