Questions For The Football Gurus (1 Viewer)

Some might disagree, but fire the entire defensive staff. Thats right, I said it. Dennis Allen, gone. Vitt gone, etc. Next fire McMahon.

Bring in a proven DC and let him choose his own staff from top to bottom. Bring in a proven ST coach and let him fix this blundering mess.

Start there and then there will be hope. Keeping these assistants and only changing the top guy is clearly not working. We have talent but a proven guy will bring in better talent.

ST aside there is also the argument that constant change/upheaval has been a major problem
communication & assignments seem to be the problem
bringing in another coach just makes more of the same problem

ST aside there is also the argument that constant change/upheaval has been a major problem
communication & assignments seem to be the problem
bringing in another coach just makes more of the same problem

I understand completely with the lack of continuity but you cant hire a guy and keep the same staff over and over again expecting different results. Those guys are done. 2011 is gone. We need someone to come in and coach these guys up, make the right decisions, and bring in a new attitude.

Lets see what we look like once we get healthier. We will never be completely healthy this year but with Rankins and Breaux in later this year, if we arent improved, start cutting the fat.

Kruger and Harper as well. It's like every season we have to have a Champ Bailey or Brandon Browner to come in and suck in the name of leadership. It worked so well with Browner last season the brain trust on Airline decided to triple up.

I hear you. But think of Shaper when he looked over the hill and we won a SB.

Someone who knows, was there anything major that happened in player personnel after 2009, 2010? Thx

Someone who knows, was there anything major that happened in player personnel after 2009, 2010? Thx

Darren Sharper was an All Pro. How many we have signed lately? Zero.

2012 happened. Greg Williams gone, Spagnola in with the same staff. 7-9. Bring in lackluster journeyman DC Rob Ryan, keep the same staff and we go 13-3. Then Loomis and Payton go win now, bringing in guys that cant see the field. What you see today is the result.

All defense coaches need to go 1st. Than id start with the D-line I hate to say it cause I like the guy but Cam is over rated. On any other team he'd be the 2nd or 3rd best D-end on the team. Not a number 1. I try to watch him and all he does is basically bull rush every play and his almost always 1 on 1 with a lineman and just can't beat the guy. We can't get pressure on QB when we blitz a LB more less with just our front 4. In order for your Middle LB to play great they always have a DT or noise gaurd that has to be double teamed we don't have that at all. They can block Nick with center or guard and let the other go get the LB. If your front 4 can Consistently get pressure on the QB he'll make mistakes throw ball to early,don't have time for check downs, try to run the ball. It will make our CB look like all stars. When the QB has 4 to 5 secs and no fear of getting hit they'll all pick you apart even the average qb will.

Darren Sharper, Malcolm Jenkins, Jabari Greer, Jonathan Vilma, Roman Harper, Tracy Porter, Will Smith, Roman Harper, Randal Gay, Scott Fujita, Scott Shanle, Charles Grant, Bobby McCray Anthony Hargrove, Tom Johnson were all good players/support players/Football Smart.

The D sucks because the players suck and the players suck because the evaluations have sucked, the evaluations suck because SP has been dabbling on the D side of things a bit too much

Number one problem: Lack of dynamic pass rushers. This shows up particularly on third and long and is a primary reason we can't get off the field on third down, allowing opposing offenses to extend drives. It is also a primary reason we generate so few turnovers.

Its coaching and it starts at the top with the head coach. Just take a look at the Pats. Doesn't matter who they plug in, that guy will play well. That's coaching. Bill Belichik not only holds players accountable, but the assistant coaches as well. Can't say the same thing for our Saints.

2012 happened. Greg Williams gone, Spagnola in with the same staff. 7-9. Bring in lackluster journeyman DC Rob Ryan, keep the same staff and we go 13-3. Then Loomis and Payton go win now, bringing in guys that cant see the field. What you see today is the result.

But Darren Sharper was let go by the Packs and then by the Vikings... we took a chance and it was a hit. Byrd was an all pro before coming to the Saints but we did not have the same luck. He got injured and never came back to his old self.

I think we have just been unable to draft any quality D players. We've tried hard but all the D players that we got through the draft never stepped up. They were gone after 1 or 2 seasons and almost never contributed. It seems it changed a bit with Ireland coming in but then we got hit with injuries (Kikaha, Swann, PJ Williams, Rankins...).

Before Ireland, we took too many chances with potential and coming from injury type of players (Chip Vaughn, Stanley Arnoux, Martez Wilson, Johnny Patrick, Corey White, SBJ, Fortt, Ronald Powell...). If only 4 of them had become quality players and with Kikaha, Swann, PJ Williams and Rankins on the field we would be in much better shape.

I believe we have been really bad at drafting D players before Ireland and that's the main reason we can't field a good D. But there is reason for optimism and it starts with the players drafted under the guiding of Ireland. Still, they need to be healthy and on the field !

I am no guru though !

Agreed on the Pass rushers, Cam Jordan is a good player at setting the edge, stopping the run to his side, but I fear his pass rushing has really weakened. Maybe its having poor players around him, but a half a sack a game is about it from him. Look to the other side and you have Krugger, again, not a typical DE, just a guy they signed they thought would work. Then we have a rookie at DT in Onya and Fairley who has played well. When Edabali came in I watched him chase a slow Matt Ryan around and fail to even catch him.

It boils down to effort and skill. These guys are all thrown together expecting things to happen. We can't just blame injuries, because these are the guys we started the season with for the most part. We can say we are missing Rankins, but he has never played a NFL down, so he doesn't count.

Until we bring in a FA in his prime that is aggressive as a pass rusher the same things will continue to happen. I don't recall how we played so well against the Giants, must have just been timely fumbles. I think the Raiders were beating themselves for the first half of that game. Its a real mess, because other than Cam ( which we will have to pay ), Rankings and Onya, we don't have nearly the DLine we thought we did. And our Lbers, we all know what they are.

We are going to need a big influx of youth on the front seven again next year. Question is, who is gonna pick them.

Bring in a proven DC and let him choose his own staff from top to bottom.
There isn't a defensive coordinator in the league that hires his own staff. It simply isn't a thing that has happened or happens. I don't know where this idea came from, but it currently isn't a realistic scenario.

Bring in a proven ST coach and let him fix this blundering mess.

I would be shocked if McMahon is ever fired. He coached Payton in college, and that level of familiarity and trust is very valuable to a head coach.

Now, maybe the entertain bringing in a special teams quality control guy. Some teams in the league do have three guys in that coaching group.

Or maybe Stan Kwan isn't the right guy to have alongside McMahon. He arrived in 2013, the same year when Garrett Hartley seemingly lost it. Who knows really. But the answer is most likely going to have to come in addition to McMahon sticking around.

I understand completely with the lack of continuity but you cant hire a guy and keep the same staff over and over again expecting different results. Those guys are done. 2011 is gone. We need someone to come in and coach these guys up, make the right decisions, and bring in a new attitude.

Lets see what we look like once we get healthier. We will never be completely healthy this year but with Rankins and Breaux in later this year, if we arent improved, start cutting the fat.

Agree 100% with this. If the defense is still as bad with Rankins and Breaux in the line-up then all the defensive coaches have to go.

At the very least we have to get rid of Johnson and Vitt. Every other team manages to generate a pass-rush or has LB's that can tackle, shed blocks and make plays in coverage, so how do we keep ending up with such sub-par play in the front 7?

And McMahon has to go as well. It's like he's living off the credit of Ambush in the SB. One great play in 8 years isn't good enough when our ST's are consistently at or towards the bottom of the league (with the exception of Morstead).

Good points,and I'd add bad drafting and lack of draft picks as well. I'm like many here. I'm growing sick and tired of constantly trading
up and losing more picks in the process. Since 2009,the Saints have made 40 picks. The Patriots have made 67. The draft has and always
will be the lifeblood of a franchise. I know the draft is a crapshoot,but having more darts to throw at the board increases the chance of hitting
a bulls eye.

All defense coaches need to go 1st. Than id start with the D-line I hate to say it cause I like the guy but Cam is over rated. On any other team he'd be the 2nd or 3rd best D-end on the team. Not a number 1. I try to watch him and all he does is basically bull rush every play and his almost always 1 on 1 with a lineman and just can't beat the guy. We can't get pressure on QB when we blitz a LB more less with just our front 4. In order for your Middle LB to play great they always have a DT or noise gaurd that has to be double teamed we don't have that at all. They can block Nick with center or guard and let the other go get the LB. If your front 4 can Consistently get pressure on the QB he'll make mistakes throw ball to early,don't have time for check downs, try to run the ball. It will make our CB look like all stars. When the QB has 4 to 5 secs and no fear of getting hit they'll all pick you apart even the average qb will.

Just for the sake a fairness, I watch every game over several times and watch individual players and what you're saying about Cam and Nick simply isn't true. It happens yes, but it happens to everyone at some point or another where they get blocked by one guy but you're making a pretty broad statement that isn't accurate as a whole. I agree that Cam isn't dynamic at any one thing but he is very good at everything.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom