Questions For The Football Gurus (1 Viewer)

SaintsFanInLA

BREES SMASH!!
Reaction score
I have no hidden agenda here, just actual curiosity. What is at the foundation of our defense being so bad? What is the crux of the matter? Is it coaching? Is it conditioning? Is it the players? Is it the scheme? Exactly what is our biggest issue? What needs to be fixed FIRST?

I see what looks like blown assignments or people out of position, which could be the players or the coaching. I see defenders 8 yards back when only 3 are needed for a 1st. I see defenders dropping sure interceptions, etc. I mean, I know we have key injuries but I'm just confused as to whether that is truly a legitimate reason or are there more salient issues that need to be addressed.

And is there REALISTICALLY cause for optimism for this season being that some starters will return from injury? Or is it already time to look forward to next year's draft and free agency?

Not that PFF is everything but it's a pretty good jumping off point. This is year to date.

Before anyone starts screaming about how Crawley and Moore have done better than that in coverage, it's their tackling and run support that has them rated so low. Their coverage has been "below average" but the run support has been horrid.

Attachments

• pffytd.jpg
    pffytd.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 41
It starts up front , if the defensive line can't get pressure , stop the run , hold a gap , or force double teams , We are in trouble . It starts there because if the can't do the afore mentions then it is a losing battle first for the linebackers because they can't make tackles when they are always blocked by a Olineman up field . It then makes the secondary cover longer than possible . All that said I think injury is our biggest issue , we are completely dessimated with injuries

In a sea of bad, Laurinaitis stands out as the worst.

So his leadership IS rubbing off on the team.

Kruger and Harper as well. It's like every season we have to have a Champ Bailey or Brandon Browner to come in and suck in the name of leadership. It worked so well with Browner last season the brain trust on Airline decided to triple up.

Not that PFF is everything but it's a pretty good jumping off point. This is year to date.

Before anyone starts screaming about how Crawley and Moore have done better than that in coverage, it's their tackling and run support that has them rated so low. Their coverage has been "below average" but the run support has been horrid.

Cumulative I assume? Or are the counting special teams plays as well? Harris didn't play a single defensive snap last night.

Cumulative I assume? Or are the counting special teams plays as well? Harris didn't play a single defensive snap last night.

Do not include special teams. They are cumulative, pretty sure they are going off number of snaps on the season for CB order.

? Exactly what is our biggest issue? What needs to be fixed FIRST?

Some might disagree, but fire the entire defensive staff. Thats right, I said it. Dennis Allen, gone. Vitt gone, etc. Next fire McMahon.

Bring in a proven DC and let him choose his own staff from top to bottom. Bring in a proven ST coach and let him fix this blundering mess.

Start there and then there will be hope. Keeping these assistants and only changing the top guy is clearly not working. We have talent but a proven guy will bring in better talent.

So the overwhelming response can be summed up as...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0Ghnz-tyS9E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Some might disagree, but fire the entire defensive staff. Thats right, I said it. Dennis Allen, gone. Vitt gone, etc. Next fire McMahon.

Bring in a proven DC and let him choose his own staff from top to bottom. Bring in a proven ST coach and let him fix this blundering mess.

Start there and then there will be hope. Keeping these assistants and only changing the top guy is clearly not working. We have talent but a proven guy will bring in better talent.

It's hard to argue against this. Over the years, def coordinators have changed, schemes have changed, personnel has changed, the only constant are the position coaches, namely Vitt, Johnson and McMahon. I love Vitt for standing up for the team during the bounty fiasco, but he has to be replaced. Johnson and McMahon simply haven't done anything in their long tenures here. Too many players with great promise have come and gone fro it to be anything other than coaching, IMO. Besides, what do we have to lose?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom