Questions over Dolphins handling of Tua’s head injuries (update: Tua concussed again)(Merged) (2 Viewers)

Scary scenes from the Dolphins game tonight. There were already questions about the Dolphins’ handling of what looked like a Tua concussion on Sunday.

Hopefully Tua is okay - he was taken to the hospital for further evaluation, but released tonight. Those questions are now hugely important after tonight’s injury (update: Coach McDaniels confirmed tonight it was indeed a concussion).

This article on NFL.con yesterday (Wednesday):

This tweet was from 4:08PM today, hours before the game:

5ABB3CE4-9622-4501-A02D-BC7CDD5F51E2.jpeg

Yes Dr. Nowinski is a strong advocate for far
more robust protocols but that doesn’t mean he isn’t right.

Crazy I remember him from the WWF. HE Had a promising career. I really liked his character. How he was from Harvard and smarter than everyone. But sadly concusions cut his career short.

I really don’t know why Tua would go along with playing so soon after an obvious concussion.
All for a franchise that 7 months ago wanted to replace you with a 45 year old.
Should have told them to sit on their own finger.

I think the NFL player culture (supported by NFL team culture) is that you play if you are cleared no matter what, because you have to be tough for your team and teammates. Plus also fear you might lose your starting job.

Contrast this with the racing where more and more pro drivers are willing to take the time they need to return healthy. The culture has changed there. And the dynamics are admittedly different.

Crazy I remember him from the WWF. HE Had a promising career. I really liked his character. How he was from Harvard and smarter than everyone. But sadly concusions cut his career short.
Wait -- Chris Nowinski was a WWF wrestler? Or did I miss something?

Praying he is ok, and I too think the people involved should be held accountable if he was already concussed….but shouldn’t the player also hold some responsibility? As in refusing to play if he thinks he’s concussed or too banged up?

Speaking of Tua making his own decision as a grown man, reminds me of the Trent Williams saga a few seasons ago. Iirc him disagreeing with their medical staff, not being ready when they thought he was etc. is why he left and signed with San Fran.

Last edited:
I really don’t know why Tua would go along with playing so soon after an obvious concussion.
All for a franchise that 7 months ago wanted to replace you with a 45 year old.
Should have told them to sit on their own finger.

Traumatic Brain Injuries can affect decision-making. Especially if the people around are pressuring you to say you are ok.

Liar.

It's also great he feels compelled to say he's "never comfortable with a player being carted off of the field." Well, low bar there huh?
Yep. Was hollow for me too. Idk the guy tho, just that majority don’t give a flip about players or their long term health. Imo.

It’s clear that teams, players, coaches etc…are subverting the concussion protocols to keep guys on the field, with potentially fatal results.

They are tanking the baseline test at the start of the year. They are calling head traumas “neck” or “back” injuries. They are using players subjective statements, while compromised, to make medical evaluations.

It’s past time to take this process out of the hands of the players and teams. Truly independent doctors and injury spotters using technology need to take this over. League policy should mandate concussed players sit out the following game and if that presents an issue, rosters should be expanded to allow players to heal properly without so much pressure to get back on the field right away.

No system is going to be perfect but if league is serious they have to act like it.

BTW, this isn’t just about pro game. If you really think that was a “back” injury Jayden Daniels suffered in the LSU/New Mexico game last week, you are kidding yourself…the lying has to stop.

Praying he is ok, and I too think the people involved should be held accountable if he was already concussed….but shouldn’t the player also hold some responsibility? As in refusing to play if he thinks he’s concussed or too banged up?

Speaking of Tua making his own decision as a grown man, reminds me of the Trent Williams saga a few seasons ago. Iirc him disagreeing with their medical staff, not being ready when they thought he was etc. is why he left and signed with San Fran.

the pressure to perform ( and be available) is real.

Especially for hyper-competitive types. I tore my achilles at the age of 45 not by some freak accident. I had injured week prior in soccer game, was starting next game and instead of telling the coach/manager i couldnt go, i swallowed 4 Ibuprofen, taped and laced up.

Whistle blew to start match, planted my foot to go...pop.

And that WAS A REC LEAGUE match. I struggle with hyper-competitiveness even now with Tennis ( had to leave soccer - achilles, then acl ) but since im new to tennis, i have a "governor" so to speak. Soccer- which was my sport from youth thru college and early adult life- i had NO REGULATOR. lol

This made me wonder about what Dr. Jim Kovach was up to lately.

Kovach was on WWL Radio's SportsTalk not too long ago (well, summer 2020) -- they ought to give him a call and address this timely issue.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom