Quick NOLA restaurant question.... (2 Viewers)

Sandro's Trottoria in the strip mall on Vets? When they first opened, I thought they were pretty good, but things seemed to go down hill after that. Hopefully they solved those issues.

If you are looking for Italian in "Metry" you have a few good options. Fausto's (on Vets near the Jefferson/Orleans parish line), Vincent's (Metairie or Uptown) or Ristorante Filippo. It's a tiny little place at the Eastern termination of West Napoleon Ave (near Rummel HS and the Galleria area). Ate there a couple of times and was pleasantly surprised. More "New Orleans Italian" cuisine than Sicilian or Tuscan, but still pretty good. I know many that like Impastato's but I've never been impressed with their food.

Cajun comes from South Central to South West La. the cooking here was influenced more by Creole which was a mix of African and French cooking.
But New Orleans has been heavily influenced with Cajun since Prudhomme first came into town. Mostly influenced with spices. But Cajun is more country home cooking.

If you are looking for classic and haven’t been to Antoines check and see what there lunch specials are. They might be doing their 20 dollar three coarse meals. It’s fancy as in classic old school but since Katrina there really aren’t too many places that require tie and jacket but ask at any rate with any place you call.
Commanders has done those specials at times also and that one should be on everyone’s bucket list. Pretty sure it is still coat and tie though.

both of those places do the specials in the summer and may be extending them now IIRC

Antoine’s 20.20 special!!!!

Just looked it up.

I will be ALL OVER THAT.....so excited!!!!

Domelise's has a great poboy but the best traditional poboy to be had is at Parkway. However, I'm still upset that they changed what was a unique gumbo in a city of hundreds of gumbo recipes, their alligator sausage and chicken gumbo, to a less than average boring chicken and sausage gumbo. They went from "oh that looks interesting to meh, this looks like the same gumbo I can get anywhere in the city, I'll pass." Whoever's idea that was should be bust down to cutting potatoes on the back porch.

Btw, Outback that is one of only a handful of places where you will still get a classic NOLA dining experience. It will be more or less the same way people were eating 150 years ago (but cooler). Old school Maitre D and all where they are the most important person in the building and responsible for your experience throughout. Today this position is basically a glorified host or hostess in most places.

Btw, Outback that is one of only a handful of places where you will still get a classic NOLA dining experience. It will be more or less the same way people were eating 150 years ago (but cooler). Old school Maitre D and all where they are the most important person in the building and responsible for your experience throughout. Today this position is basically a glorified host or hostess in most places.

Thanks again. We are so excited.
And thanks for the suggestions, been to most (not the Metairie ones though)....
Especially for the Donald Link info......since we absolutely love Cochon, we will try more Link places, probably Peche and Herbsaint.

Thanks again. We are so excited.
And thanks for the suggestions, been to most (not the Metairie ones though)....
Especially for the Donald Link info......since we absolutely love Cochon, we will try more Link places, probably Peche and Herbsaint.

awesome, hope you enjoy.

You might also like to know that Donald Links cook book is pretty awesome

Amazon product ASIN 0307395812

If you want ersters, do make the trip to da Metrys and hit up Drago's for their chargrilled ersters... it's better than the Drago's downtown...

Agreed. The Drago's location in the Hilton can be very inconsistent. The location in Fat City is always spot on. Or, if OJ wants to stay downtown, just go to the original ACME oyster house.

yes and never ever try to get this at any kind of festival. They will have a 30 minute line to get tiny tiny oysters served in a tin cup. The experience does not translate.

Not trying to threadjack, but I do wonder how good the newly opened Baton Rouge location will be compared to da Metrys...

If you want to try a more recently opened place that is quite good, a couple of my friends opened a place on Magazine called Bordeaux, I finally got to go this past December when I went home for the holidays, and it was great for dinner and their weekend brunch...

Doesn't go with the post, I know, but I'm throwing out Suis Generis sort of as a reminder to myself. I keep forgetting to go here when I'm in town (the Bywater is just never convenient for me), but I've heard good things and it's on my list. The menu changes every week.

3219 Burgundy Street

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom