Quick NOLA restaurant question.... (2 Viewers)

Outbackjack

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Coming in Sat-Monday.
Can’t wait to get my NOLA fix.
Each time I go, I try new restaurants.

This time I’m specifically looking for older classic places, nothing too fancy......

Specifically Cajun fare.....in the mold of Casamento’s.....Domilese’s, etc.

One meal is set, Liuzza’s in Mid City, from a friends recommendation. Still have 3 meals left.

This board always steers me right.....any suggestions?

Coming in Sat-Monday.

This time I’m specifically looking for older classic places, nothing too fancy......

One meal is set, Liuzza’s in Mid City, from a friends recommendation. Still have 3 meals left.

While both of these are wonderful places to eat, I wouldn't consider either of them "Cajun fare". What about those places do you consider Cajun?

Cajun comes from South Central to South West La. the cooking here was influenced more by Creole which was a mix of African and French cooking.
But New Orleans has been heavily influenced with Cajun since Prudhomme first came into town. Mostly influenced with spices. But Cajun is more country home cooking.

If you are looking for classic and haven’t been to Antoines check and see what there lunch specials are. They might be doing their 20 dollar three coarse meals. It’s fancy as in classic old school but since Katrina there really aren’t too many places that require tie and jacket but ask at any rate with any place you call.
Commanders has done those specials at times also and that one should be on everyone’s bucket list. Pretty sure it is still coat and tie though.

both of those places do the specials in the summer and may be extending them now IIRC

Coming in Sat-Monday.

Katie’s
basically across the street from Liuzzas

You’re right.....I guess “New Orleans” fare....

like the mouthmelting muffalata at Liuzzas

If you haven't had a roast beef Poor Boy at Parkway Bakery and Tavern, put that on your list. Just make sure to grab extra napkins and pack an extra shirt to change into after you eat.

If you want to venture toward the Uptown area, Jacques-Imos or Clancy's are always solid. A little more pricey than a poor boy joint, but well worth it. Again, more "New Orleans Fare" than Cajun, but really good.

I'm sure the Buz'd signal has probably been activated and he'll be chiming in soon with more suggestions...

Enjoy your trip.

If you haven't had a roast beef Poor Boy at Parkway Bakery and Tavern, put that on your list. Just make sure to grab extra napkins and pack an extra shirt to change into after you eat.

I second this. Next to Domelise’s this is the must for poboys. Seafood as well as roast beef. And get a Barq’s in a glass bottle.

R&O's in Bucktown. I know its Metry but its so damn good. Felix’s Restaurant & Oyster Bar is a great place. Katie's is great and so is parkway... and as above mentioned expect to use ~10 napkins.

It is a shame about Sal and Sams and Carmines. These were such good choices in the Italian arena.
never had sal and sams but carmines was pretty great. ever had Sandros? really great Tuscan cuisine

NOLA doesn’t do nearly as much Cajun as people would imagine.

Donald Link is Cajun. Cochon would be a good choice.

or you could try Cochon Butcher which is behind the main restaurant and more of a lunch type place.

cochon is my favorite restaurant ever. Hands down.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom