Quick Notes from Coach Pete on Victory over Texans (1 Viewer)

Hey Biloxi - No hurricanes up your alley so far this year. Let's hopes that continues!!!

Coach Pete got a tip that the Saints coaches were developing a playbook for Taysom Hill last year in the 2nd half of the season to exploit the seams. But Taysom was having trouble adjusting his speed to the speed of the ball in flight. So the Saints were pleasantly surprised by Kirkwood and went with that option. Apparently Hill worked on this a lot during the offseason and the coaches are confident he can fill that seam role this year.

Knocking on wood here Swimmer re hurricanes!

That makes sense about Hill. His catches as a receiver haven't looked very smooth to me in the past. Hopefully his off-season work continues to pays off!

Yeah, he had the TD, but he also had a drop. If he can consistently hold onto the ball, he could definitely be a dangerous receiving weapon.

Knocking on wood here Swimmer re hurricanes!

That makes sense about Hill. His catches as a receiver haven't looked very smooth to me in the past. Hopefully his off-season work continues to pays off!

Yeah, he had the TD, but he also had a drop. If he can consistently hold onto the ball, he could definitely be a dangerous receiving weapon.

Hey FGE413 - What you are saying is real interesting. thx

If Hill can develop into a quality receiver, our offense could be insane. MT is one of the 3 best in the league and in the role we want him to play, MT is the best. We clearly saw the value of Ginn in the last game and how much Brees likes him as an option. There appears little question that Trequan has improved. How much, we shall see. But even if he is just solid, when we add that monster Cook, who will win us some games this year, and Hill who has WR flanker speed, the build of a physical TE and the on-field knowledge of a QB, that would be lethal: MT, Ginn, Cook and Hill with Kamara and Murray in the backfield behind the best O-line in the league and one of the top 3 QBs of all time.

Knowing that Coach Ryan Nielsen is coaching-up the D-line... I’m not worried, considering the fact that he had three UDFA’s in at DT. That speaks volumes!

I believe we’ll start fast, CSP will keep his foot on the gas, and we’ll dominate the Rams.

Tell coach Pete we expect to see him in NOLA during LombardiGras 2020! :ezbill:

:gosaints:

The gym was crazy busy yesterday so I didn't have a lot of time with Coach Pete.

Coach Pete is not the type to tell you, "I told you so," except when its a training tip that we don't listen to and end-up hurting ourselves - lol. But his pre-game predictions on the game were pretty darn accurate. 1) He called Davenport being out of shape. I think it was crystal clear that Marcus was not playing with the monster force he did last year and he is healthy now. 2) Coach Pete said that the Saints coaches had been working with Taysom Hill on a select number of routes to exploit the seem as a TE or slot WR. That's exactly what happened on the TD. I don't write down everything he says, but Coach Pete made the point that the Saints were carrying fewer TEs because Hill can be an effective TE now and that Hill can and does block very well.

On the game, here are Coach Pete's notes:

1) Take the victory. The Texans are a very good team.
2) There's not a better complete O-line in the league than the Saints
3) If Brees doesn't tire, he can win the MVP this year and lead the Saints to a SB
4) On defense, the Saints will have to improve the DT position. "Yes," they have injuries and suspensions, but their biggest weakness on returning to the SB is a solid group of DTs who can stop the run and put some pressure on the QB up the middle
5) As an ex coach, it was a thrill for him to watch Hopkins and MT. He said those guys are so elite that no DB can stop them in single coverage. He praised Hopkins saying that Latt and a couple of other Saints DBs had perfect textbook position on Hopkins and he still found ways to make catches. When he was asked how he would slow down Hopkins if he was a coach, Coach Pete smiled and said, "Drugging him is likely the only answer!" lol
6) On the 30 second 2 play drive, Coach Pete said that the Texans are one of only 2 teams in the league that could pull that off. He said that a team has to have 4 really fast WRs and a QB who can deliver the ball quickly downfield with accuracy. They send 2 WRs on about 15 yard ups then slant them towards the middle of the field to catch safety attention while 2 other WRs are streaking down the field further creating confusion for the defensive backs.
7) Kamara is a freak, extremely creative, great field awareness and just a thrill to watch. Kamara sees holes no other back does
8) Because of the way Coach Sean runs training camps when he has experienced players, this team will gell and get better over the next 2-3 games

Edit: TCU Dan - If you read this, will you explain in more detail what Coach Pete was saying in #6 about the 4 fast WRs, please. Thx in advance

Edit 2 - one thing I didn't like that Coach Pete said is that he thought teams have enough film and have figured out how to contain Hill pretty well on the read-option. Coach Pete said the way to fix this is for Hill to throw the ball more creating indecision in the defense.

Also - Coach Pete's biggest concern for this season was the team mentally and emotionally overcoming the tragic endings of the last 2 years. He was really concerned about this until last nite saying, "This is the type win that determined SB teams pull off."

Davenport looks forceful to me

I like how we are spreading the formations out more and also it seems we are breaking the huddle much quicker, giving Brees more time scan for mismatches and audibles. Seemed like last year we were close to getting delay penalties about 30 times a game.

Hill's speed could definitely spread the field more if he can master route running and pass catching.

Hey FGE413 - What you are saying is real interesting. thx

If Hill can develop into a quality receiver, our offense could be insane. MT is one of the 3 best in the league and in the role we want him to play, MT is the best. We clearly saw the value of Ginn in the last game and how much Brees likes him as an option. There appears little question that Trequan has improved. How much, we shall see. But even if he is just solid, when we add that monster Cook, who will win us some games this year, and Hill who has WR flanker speed, the build of a physical TE and the on-field knowledge of a QB, that would be lethal: MT, Ginn, Cook and Hill with Kamara and Murray in the backfield behind the best O-line in the league and one of the top 3 QBs of all time.

The gym was crazy busy yesterday so I didn't have a lot of time with Coach Pete.

Coach Pete is not the type to tell you, "I told you so," except when its a training tip that we don't listen to and end-up hurting ourselves - lol. But his pre-game predictions on the game were pretty darn accurate. 1) He called Davenport being out of shape. I think it was crystal clear that Marcus was not playing with the monster force he did last year and he is healthy now. 2) Coach Pete said that the Saints coaches had been working with Taysom Hill on a select number of routes to exploit the seem as a TE or slot WR. That's exactly what happened on the TD. I don't write down everything he says, but Coach Pete made the point that the Saints were carrying fewer TEs because Hill can be an effective TE now and that Hill can and does block very well.

On the game, here are Coach Pete's notes:

1) Take the victory. The Texans are a very good team.
2) There's not a better complete O-line in the league than the Saints
3) If Brees doesn't tire, he can win the MVP this year and lead the Saints to a SB
4) On defense, the Saints will have to improve the DT position. "Yes," they have injuries and suspensions, but their biggest weakness on returning to the SB is a solid group of DTs who can stop the run and put some pressure on the QB up the middle
5) As an ex coach, it was a thrill for him to watch Hopkins and MT. He said those guys are so elite that no DB can stop them in single coverage. He praised Hopkins saying that Latt and a couple of other Saints DBs had perfect textbook position on Hopkins and he still found ways to make catches. When he was asked how he would slow down Hopkins if he was a coach, Coach Pete smiled and said, "Drugging him is likely the only answer!" lol
6) On the 30 second 2 play drive, Coach Pete said that the Texans are one of only 2 teams in the league that could pull that off. He said that a team has to have 4 really fast WRs and a QB who can deliver the ball quickly downfield with accuracy. They send 2 WRs on about 15 yard ups then slant them towards the middle of the field to catch safety attention while 2 other WRs are streaking down the field further creating confusion for the defensive backs.
7) Kamara is a freak, extremely creative, great field awareness and just a thrill to watch. Kamara sees holes no other back does
8) Because of the way Coach Sean runs training camps when he has experienced players, this team will gell and get better over the next 2-3 games

Edit: TCU Dan - If you read this, will you explain in more detail what Coach Pete was saying in #6 about the 4 fast WRs, please. Thx in advance

Edit 2 - one thing I didn't like that Coach Pete said is that he thought teams have enough film and have figured out how to contain Hill pretty well on the read-option. Coach Pete said the way to fix this is for Hill to throw the ball more creating indecision in the defense.

Also - Coach Pete's biggest concern for this season was the team mentally and emotionally overcoming the tragic endings of the last 2 years. He was really concerned about this until last nite saying, "This is the type win that determined SB teams pull off."
1) Gladly
2) shutting Watt down proved that.
3)Count on the Superbowl because the idiotic media will never vote Brees for MVP.
4) That is obviously going to happen, but that DL was great the other night. Our LBs namley AJ Klein didn't show up at all as I recall.
5) I agree
6) The other team is the Chiefs. But the Patriots would have gone down & scored with 2 seconds on the clock.
7) Obvious with great balance to boot.
8) Again this should obviously be the progression for these guys.
9) He is right about Hill & we should expect something surprising coming from that this week.
10) absolutely correct. It was good to be pushed to the limit by a great team & come out on top. The Texans will bounce back & be better & the Saints will bring a lot of confidence mixed with humility into the game this Sunday.

Swimmer, not sure if Coach Pete is real, or an altar ego of yours. But he is a great analyst who makes a lot of good points. Have a good week. Whodat!

1) Gladly
2) shutting Watt down proved that.
3)Count on the Superbowl because the idiotic media will never vote Brees for MVP.
4) That is obviously going to happen, but that DL was great the other night. Our LBs namley AJ Klein didn't show up at all as I recall.
5) I agree
6) The other team is the Chiefs. But the Patriots would have gone down & scored with 2 seconds on the clock.
7) Obvious with great balance to boot.
8) Again this should obviously be the progression for these guys.
9) He is right about Hill & we should expect something surprising coming from that this week.
10) absolutely correct. It was good to be pushed to the limit by a great team & come out on top. The Texans will bounce back & be better & the Saints will bring a lot of confidence mixed with humility into the game this Sunday.

Swimmer, not sure if Coach Pete is real, or an altar ego of yours. But he is a great analyst who makes a lot of good points. Have a good week. Whodat!

Hey Kyle! Ths much for the really good insights.

There was so much doubt on the board about whether Coach Pete was real. He was vetted by Inside and a few others. And Pete did a few vids to dispelll all rumors.

I sure as heck wish I knew that much about pro ball - lol - but that's not me

Hey Kyle! Ths much for the really good insights.

There was so much doubt on the board about whether Coach Pete was real. He was vetted by Inside and a few others. And Pete did a few vids to dispelll all rumors.

I sure as heck wish I knew that much about pro ball - lol - but that's not me
I felt like the coaching staff wasted a couple of plays for hill the other night running the zone read like that just to set some kind of gadget play up for the rams.
Edit: there's no doubt that this coach Pete has some great observations. It's the inside info that is a head scratcher.

I felt like the coaching staff wasted a couple of plays for hill the other night running the zone read like that just to set some kind of gadget play up for the rams.
Edit: there's no doubt that this coach Pete has some great observations. It's the inside info that is a head scratcher.
Not is it good material, but how does he come about this knowledge. Personally i think Marcus did a lot of things the staff wanted done the other night. He was the trash man & he did a pretty good job of taking out the trash while other guys got a ton of pressure on Watson.

I love the insight from coach Pete. Please keep these coming! It’s also good to hear that he is warming up to the 2019 saints team because after the NFC Championship game I feel like he shared my sentiment that the team would not likely recover from that. I know we are still early in the season but I am hoping that maybe they will be okay.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom