Quick Notes from Coach Pete on Victory over Texans (3 Viewers)

Hey Infoman - I respect your insights. Personally IDK. To me, he came out last year so raw but what so full of energy and he unleashed his insane athleticism. Even after the injury, he lost some of his burst but he still mixed in and threw huge bodies around like toys. I expected a significant step forward this year, but he doesn't seem to have made the jump and he doesn't seem to even be as disruptive as the 1st half of the season last year. Even then, it often takes d-linemen 3-years to develop so I want to give him every benefit of the doubt.

Thanks... Look, I am fine with him taking some time to develop... the frustrating part is not the lack of flashes that he shows... I see those and they give you hope that he'll progress... it's the other stuff that makes me scratch my head and take pause...

The kid is built like you created him in Madden to play DE in the NFL...

Yet... he consistently has to play standing up.... he doesn't show any consistent pass rush moves/counters or hand technique (he's pretty much 100% bull rush - yet he's really athletic).... for a guy his size / speed, he ends up on his backside way too much in One on Ones... and the staff is clearly trying to get him involved in non-conventional DE roles (to somehow) make use of him... They stunt him, stand up blitz him, drop him in coverage on crossing routes, use him as a spy, move him inside pre-snap...

At 6' 6'' 270 lbs and running 4.5 off the edge.... He should be lined up on an OT and using his natural ability to win one on ones all day with Cam on the other side.... Setting a hard Edge... and making QBs generally miserable.

Not on every play, and not every week... but I see no consistency, no progression, and more and more I am seeing the coaches use him as a "gadget" defender... I'm no scout, but I have watched and played enough ball to see that something is a miss...

Oh, and as always when I am critical of any Saints player... I hope he makes a total fool outta me, and proves me to be wrong and over-reacting! LOL

Last edited:
Swimmer, not sure if Coach Pete is real, or an altar ego of yours. But he is a great analyst who makes a lot of good points. Have a good week. Whodat!

Swimmer wouldn't know that much even if he slept at a Holiday Inn.

@Infoman, maybe Dav doesn't have great balance so he has to play over his feet.

Thanks for sharing!

Deuce will disagree with you and coach pete on Davenport -

I don't agree on #4, I do think the DL interior was bad, but we did have a top unit last year and I can see us getting back to last year's form once David and Rankins are back. We also have Brown and Edwards so there should be enough depth to keep everyone fresh.

I know lazy when I see it. Out of shape. Whatever excuse we want to use to make us feel better about that first round pick. SMH. Time to ball out. I don't want to keep hearing about how "cerebral" he is and a film junkie. Ball out.

Has any of the actual coaching staff or a credentialed reporter confirmed Davenport reported to camp "fat and out of shape?"
Swimmer wouldn't know that much even if he slept at a Holiday Inn.

@Infoman, maybe Dav doesn't have great balance so he has to play over his feet.

haha- come on Bobad, i stay at low end Marriotts - lol

I texted Coach Pete late kast nite and he texted back.

"The fans and coaches should be disappointed. I know for sure that he is under-performing. He deserves no praise."

I am a huge fan of Marcus, from being a home-boy. I never knew the guy existed and he played his college ball 35 miles away. He sounds like a great story. I want him to succeed and I want us to give him the full time he needs to develop. Chi-Town posted some really interesting stats on Strahan. But I am not Coach Pete. I did not observe and possibly work with Marcus. I'm a fan.

Coach Pete told me to do this for us fans. Take a 2019 pic of his face versus 2018. I couldn't get a clear head shot from 2018, but this is the best I could do. 2019 is the top. 2018 is the bottom. Coach Pete is saying that we will see the bloating clearly in the face this year versus 2018. But he says, what we see in the face, the puffiness as Pete calls it, is around his entire body. In the 2018 pic, he does look leaner. Coach Pete says it's not all just fat, it's also dehydration which causes the puffiness. Coach Pete says dehydration is often a big give away of being out of condition.

I personally am a big fan of Davenport. I try to present Coach Pete's info without my color. I feel that Coach Pete is being really hard on Marcus. Then again, I'm not a pro trainer or former coach. That said, I am not going to post negatives on Davenport for a while. I want to give him time to grow and progress mentally and physically. He is still basically a kid.

1568300701609.png

1568300769743.png

I got news for you & coach Pete & he may be a fitness genius. But you're talking about a guy who grew 1/3 of his size after he entered college. This guy went from being a stringy I think it was WR prospect to a 1st round DE in the course of three years playing for a school not known for being an nfl football factory. To top it off he was sent from San Antonio where his daddy kept an eye on him daily to the Big Easy where the wine women & song flow until the wee hours of the morning.

He is still adjusting to the size of his body & the size of the role he is expected to play. To top it off he had an injury which has caused several players to retire early in their careers from several sports. While a big toe sounds so little on the surface. it affects an athletes ability to push off which is where all there lower body strength & speed is generated. He pretty much was completely unable to do anything with his lower body while waiting for that injury to heel. Rankins in comparison has been doing nothing but working on his lower legs to get them back to strength. So its a frustrating situation all the way around. Overall, he is handling his situation about as well as can be expected.

Last edited:
I got news for you & coach Pete & he may be a fitness genius. But you're talking about a guy who grew 1/3 of his size after he entered college. This guy went from being a stringy I think it was WR prospect to a 1st round DE in the course of three years playing for a school not known for being an nfl football factory. To top it off he was sent from San Antonio where his daddy kept an eye on him daily to the Big Easy where the wine women & song flow until the wee hours of the morning.

He is still adjusting to the size of his body & the size of the role he is expected to play. To top it off he had an injury which has caused several players to retire early in their careers from several sports. While a big toe sounds so little on the surface. it affects an athletes ability to push off which is where all there lower body strength & speed is generated. He pretty much was completely unable to do anything with his lower body while waiting for that injury to heel. Rankins in comparison has been doing nothing but working on his lower legs to get them back to strength. So its a frustrating situation all the way around. Overall, he is handling his situation about as well as can be expected.

Good stuff Kyle. Marcus also played some safety at UTSA. Can you imagine that! I'm a Davenport fan and believe he will develop into an elite DE in the next 2 years.

I have to disagree with that assessment. We beat the steam out out Watson. And we had great push up front against the run most of the game. It is the Line backers jobs to come up in run support especially when our front four beat up their front five like they did. We got better run support from our DBs than our LBs Monday night. Those guys have to pick up the pace & that's why we traded for Kiko Alonso.

Everyone knows about the 6 sacks.

Fewer know about the additional 11 QB Hits

And...

One stat I saw on TV: 45% of Watson's drop backs he had pressure!

Man!

(Just goes to show how amazing of a QB that Watson is.)

Everyone knows about the 6 sacks.

Fewer know about the additional 11 QB Hits

And...

One stat I saw on TV: 45% of Watson's drop backs he had pressure!

Man!

(Just goes to show how amazing of a QB that Watson is.)

Watson holds the ball too long. He got sacked a ton last year. The same OL with Brees or Brady, we would be lucky to get 1 sack with our patched-up D Line.

Watson holds the ball too long. He got sacked a ton last year. The same OL with Brees or Brady, we would be lucky to get 1 sack with our patched-up D Line.
But the reason Watson held the ball as long as he did was because we had much better initial coverage than our defense was given credit for. Our DBs did not do a bad job in that game. their WRs are as good as any in football & maybe the best in football with Hill out for the Chiefs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom