Quick observations of potential draft picks Laurinaitis and Jenkins... (1 Viewer)

Yeah I wasn't impressed with Jenkins either. Although he looks like a fine athlete, he got beat to much imo. Good ball skills, but I just wasn't impressed with his coverage skills, especially in the red-zone.

If you believe that then why did you also write this on the college board 20 minutes before?

Maybe it's because you're misinterpreting what I said. Quietly having a good game and standing out does not mean the game thing... at least not to me.

I will have to re-watch the game a couple times to get a good look at a number of players... I am a big fan of Laurinitis, but I would not be to terribly upset with Malcolm Jenkins. The draft is packed with quality LB at the top, so there will be a great player available at 42. Perhaps since the draft is deeper at LB than CB, we should go CB first, the combine, workouts, and interviews will sort out a lot.

because quite a few of them were 5+ yards down the field. There were only 2 or 3 plays that was made from him that I can recall that were good. Were any of his tackles for losses?

Last edited:
I'd much much rather get Kenny Phillips than Jenkins. Jenkins did not look impressive tonight, and that int was just miscommunication. Drum roll please.....Jenkins is not a man to man cover cornerback, he’s a soft zone coverage corner, we need a corner that covers man to man, we can’t wait for jenkins to try to learn our coverage like Jason david. Many here don't like laurinaitis, while I really like Phillips, I wouldn't mind us taking laurinatis, I’d rather have him than Jenkins, laurinatis had 18 tackles tonight I’d say that's pretty good and we need a solid mlb that is there to make the tackles, I bet the most tackles simmoneau had in a game for us was prolly like 6, he only had 70 tackles for us this yr in 16 starts.

If we grab a LBer in the draft, it should be Dann Connor, NOT Laurinaitis. Jenkins looked good, but not great. He might be better suited to play safety at the next level. If we go DB, I hope we grab Kenny Phillips.

Also, Chevis Jackson looked okay. He might be a good value in the mid rounds, if he's still there.

I thought Jenkins played very well. Early on, LSU went away from him. On that touchdown play, he sort of got caught up by his own teammate who got in his way on the crossing route, leaving him trailing too far behind to make a play. I will continue to say that Jenkins is the best cornerback in this draft and arguably the second best player on defense behind Dorsey (Ellis and Phillips also draw consideration). If you really think about it, you did not get any big performances out of the LSU receivers. Jenkins' performance is the reason why I said I would take him over Laurinaitis and maybe even Phillips prior to this game. That's not to say that I do not like Laurinaitis. He's very good. But I just think that Jenkins is very solid.

I would love to see the Saints sign a top flight CB (i.e. Trufant, Asomugha or Samuel depending on who is available) and Briggs to play MLB. I would then go with either a first two rounds of something like Jenkins/Highsmith or Ellis/Cason (since he may be a guy that falls some due to concerns over his speed).

Eightteen tackles not a one for a loss of yardage; Try all night but could not cover the tight end.We have those kind of linebackers right now.

Both would instantly start on the Saints.

I'd much much rather get Kenny Phillips than Jenkins. Jenkins did not look impressive tonight, and that int was just miscommunication. Drum roll please.....Jenkins is not a man to man cover cornerback, he’s a soft zone coverage corner, we need a corner that covers man to man, we can’t wait for jenkins to try to learn our coverage like Jason david. Many here don't like laurinaitis, while I really like Phillips, I wouldn't mind us taking laurinatis, I’d rather have him than Jenkins, laurinatis had 18 tackles tonight I’d say that's pretty good and we need a solid mlb that is there to make the tackles, I bet the most tackles simmoneau had in a game for us was prolly like 6, he only had 70 tackles for us this yr in 16 starts.

I won't argue your take on Jenkins' performance although I saw it differently. However, deciding to get Jenkins will depend a lot on what defense we plan to run next year. If Trufant and Asomugha are not available and the Saints go after Samuel and Briggs hard as Mike Detellier believe they will, then the Saints could very well make a move to more of a cover-2 defense. Briggs can play MLB. You draft a guy like Highsmith in round 2 to play WLB. You go after a DT like Corey Williams to play the 3-technique. And if you end up with Jenkins in the first round, you have two solid CBs in he and Samuel who can play in zone coverage very well. Both are also able to go man-to-man at times and do well. Jenkins showed you that on that play where he blanketed Demetrius Byrd down the sideline. Also, by running more cover-2, you actually play to the strengths of a guy like Jason David and prevents him from just becoming a lost cause in your system who you cannot get rid of because of salary cap reasons.

:plus-un2:

He would be our best LB...

As his late great Godfather would say" AAWWWW What a rush!" Roadwarrior Hawk. R.I.P. His dad was at the game. Looks different without the Roadwarrior paint!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom