Quick observations of potential draft picks Laurinaitis and Jenkins... (1 Viewer)

It's been covered already. The Jenkins INT was a miscommunication between Flynn and Tolliver (I think?), not anything Jenkins did. The only other time I really noticed Jenkins was when Lafell beat him in the end zone. Honestly I dont know if he had a good game or not.

Laurinaitis is going to be a fine NFL LB probably and looked solid enough tonight, but he doesn't strike me as a Top 10 pick. He's certainly not Patrick Willis and I don't think he's even AJ Hawk. I'm thinking more Paul Posluzny, a late-1st, early-2nd rounder.

The best OSU defender on the field was actually the DE #50. Ghoulston or something I think was his name? A nice edge rusher it looks like, though not a first rounder or anything.

If we grab a LBer in the draft, it should be Dann Connor, NOT Laurinaitis. Jenkins looked good, but not great. He might be better suited to play safety at the next level. If we go DB, I hope we grab Kenny Phillips.

Also, Chevis Jackson looked okay. He might be a good value in the mid rounds, if he's still there.

Dan Connor is not as good as Laurinaitis. Connor plays stiff and is not as fluid as Laurinaitis. He would not have fared any better tonight.

I do not agree that Jenkins is better suited for safety. I think that call is being made by a lot of people because of the scheme that Ohio State runs. But Jenkins can play man. He reminds me of Charles Woodson in many ways, another guy that people thought could make a move to safety.

Jackson looked good. I think he's a third to fourth round pick. The one thing you have to say as a GM when evaluating LSU cornerbacks is that they actually play man-to-man coverage 90% of the time, which means they are going to give up some plays every now and then and that reality has to be placed in the proper context in order to have a sound analysis on a guy like Jackson. Jackson is not as good as Corey Webster, but he's close.

Is it really possible to gauge Laurinitus or Jenkins in one game against a superior team in how they will take to the NFL?

Funny that you mention that, Jenkins came out of HS as a Safety. They moved him to CB.

Ali Highsmith was actually the best LB on the field today, especially from an NFL perspective. He'll jump up like Jon Beason did last year, and I think a lot of speculation will be for him to go into the middle of the 1st round though he could slide back (as LB's tend to do) due to team needs.

But if we could trade back into the #15 range and take Highsmith, that wouldn't hurt my feelings at all.

Ali Highsmith was actually the best LB on the field today, especially from an NFL perspective. He'll jump up like Jon Beason did last year, and I think a lot of speculation will be for him to go into the middle of the 1st round though he could slide back (as LB's tend to do) due to team needs.

But if we could trade back into the #15 range and take Highsmith, that wouldn't hurt my feelings at all.

I thought Highsmith did very well tonight and probably raised his stock a little bit. I still think that his best value is in the second round but I can see some team taking him in the latter stages of round 1. While I thought he did well, his game was nowhere near perfect. I keyed on him several times and noticed a couple of mistakes on his part. For instance, on play where Chris Wells cut back and was able to gain 10 yards, it was Highsmith who blew the play. Highsmith was responsible for backside pursuit. The play went right and Highsmith's responsibility on that play was to seal the cutback lane. If Highsmight seals the gap, he probably makes a tackle in the backfield. Instead, he flowed wide and left with the rest of the defense. Wells noticed this and cut back at the last second and was able to gain 10 yards on the play. Highsmith, who has superior athletic skills, was able to catch up with him and help make the tackle. But a play that should have gone for no gain went, instead, for a first down.

Jackson looked good. I think he's a third to fourth round pick. The one thing you have to say as a GM when evaluating LSU cornerbacks is that they actually play man-to-man coverage 90% of the time, which means they are going to give up some plays every now and then and that reality has to be placed in the proper context in order to have a sound analysis on a guy like Jackson. Jackson is not as good as Corey Webster, but he's close.

Whoa...not as good as Webster? For once we disagree. I think he's better than Webster ever was, and much more consistent. I think Zenon is a Webster clone. Soft in coverage, good deep ball skills but gets beat quite a bit underneath. Chevis on the other hand is a blanket. Everyone's talking about Jenkins, I really didn't notice him at all. True, LSU's receivers didn't have big games, but LSU's receivers never have big games. That's not the way they play. I thought Jackson and Zenon easily outplayed Jenkins to be honest. He had the one INT where the WR turned the wrong way...I hope that's not the play that's supposed to convince me of his talent. :)

And Laurineitis or however it's spelled...eh. Pass. Not at all impressed, and I never have been. It's all name recognition with him. I'd much rather take care of LB in FA. I don't like him or Dan Connor, and Ali Highsmith is somewhat one-dimensional. Rivers is the only guy I'd be pleased with at this point (as far as LBs go).

Sorry, to lazy to read through everyone's posts but did anyone notice Ironhead's son on Ohio's defense? The true freshman looked good, except the personnal foul penalty,

Both Jenkins and Laurinaitis looked overrated and overmatched tonight. I'd pass on the both of. Chevis Jackson of LSU looked much better than Jenkins tonight, and has looked pretty good all year. Instead of spending a first on Laurinaitis, I'd wait until the 2nd and pick up Ali Highsmith. Personally, I think we should retool the defense with free agents so that we'll know what we're getting and not have to draft based on need only. If there's a great offensive player that's there at #10 we can still get him instead of reaching for a defensive player who may not play at all.

Whoa...not as good as Webster? For once we disagree. I think he's better than Webster ever was, and much more consistent. I think Zenon is a Webster clone. Soft in coverage, good deep ball skills but gets beat quite a bit underneath. Chevis on the other hand is a blanket. Everyone's talking about Jenkins, I really didn't notice him at all. True, LSU's receivers didn't have big games, but LSU's receivers never have big games. That's not the way they play. I thought Jackson and Zenon easily outplayed Jenkins to be honest. He had the one INT where the WR turned the wrong way...I hope that's not the play that's supposed to convince me of his talent. :)

And Laurineitis or however it's spelled...eh. Pass. Not at all impressed, and I never have been. It's all name recognition with him. I'd much rather take care of LB in FA. I don't like him or Dan Connor, and Ali Highsmith is somewhat one-dimensional. Rivers is the only guy I'd be pleased with at this point (as far as LBs go).

I agree I thought Webster was very overrated, he used to get beat quite a bit for supposedly being a top notch corner in the SEC, his thing was he had the tangibles(size and speed) so people just salivated over him most of the time. I really like Jackson a lot and he has great coverage skills and good size, we will see about his speed, I don't know, I think he's the best corner LSU has had in several years..

Ohio State fan here, and I've watched every game of his career and spring practices. James Laurinaitis is the most overrated linebacker in the counrty, probably even most overrated player period. Dan Conner, Sean Lee, Jeremy Leman are all better linebackers just with in the Big 10.

Before James Laurinaitis was getting all the media love he was getting out played, out hit, and out hussled by a kid named Chad Hoobler. Unfortunatly for Hoobler he had some injuries and anger management problems, so he ended up transfering to Ashland University where he messed up his knees hugetime and his career is now over.

Quote from a buckeye fan....

ouch....

Sorry, to lazy to read through everyone's posts but did anyone notice Ironhead's son on Ohio's defense? The true freshman looked good, except the personnal foul penalty,

He had an overall good game...he showed great sideline to sideline speed. He was able to break off of blocks and get in on some tackles. I can see why OSU fans are excited about his future.

BTW...what about OSU's Chris Wells....good gracious what a good game he had. He just turned on the speed for that long td run, and then that stiff arm he dished out to Chevis Jackson on another run....very impressive. That guy has to be a first rounder if he declares after next season.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom