Quick observations of potential draft picks Laurinaitis and Jenkins... (1 Viewer)

Well... maybe being up by 3 TDs had something to do with it. LSU could have easily put up 50 if they wanted to.

Both Jenkins and Laurinaitis looked overrated and overmatched tonight.

I pretty much agree with this......both made crucial mistakes by giving up TDs.....Jenkins to LaFell.....Laurinaitis gave up the last LSU TD, when he let the TE get by him. But I also saw Jenkins taking bad angles, and missing some tackles resulting in big gains (he missed on tackle that lead to an LSU first down on the 1 yd lane.)

The 18 tackles are impressive by any standards.....BTW, to those who are not impressed....when did a Saints player had 18 tackles in a game??....I can't think of one, and I'm pretty sure its been a long time since a Saints D player had 18 tackles in a game... To me Laurinaitis had a better game than Jenkins....

18 tackles is still very impressive

those are 18 tackles that he MADE

im so sick of watching simaNO & Shanle

miss tackles

The 18 tackles are impressive by any standards.....BTW, to those who are not impressed....when did a Saints player had 18 tackles in a game??....I can't think of one, and I'm pretty sure its been a long time since a Saints D player had 18 tackles in a game... To me Laurinaitis had a better game than Jenkins....

Well, if you had time to make 18 tackles, it means your were on defense too much. I believe there were 2 other Buckeyes with double-digit tackle numbers as well. It's great he made that many, but it also shows very few were big plays. I can't remember any play JL made that stopped an LSU drive. Heck, the only defensive play of his I remember from last night was when he clotheslined Trindon Holliday for a 2-yard gain while being blocked.

I can't believe people are basing JL on one freaking game

if that was the case we woulda never drafted Reggie

Depends on which game. If Reggie was judged based on that Fresno St. game, he'd already have a bust in Canton :hihi:

Well, if you had time to make 18 tackles, it means your were on defense too much. I believe there were 2 other Buckeyes with double-digit tackle numbers as well. It's great he made that many, but it also shows very few were big plays. I can't remember any play JL made that stopped an LSU drive. Heck, the only defensive play of his I remember from last night was when he clotheslined Trindon Holliday for a 2-yard gain while being blocked.

18 tackles in a game is very impressive! If he averages 10 tackles/game in the NFL, that would translate to 160 tackles in a season......most of them would not be considered "big plays" per say, but I'm pretty sure Willis' 174 tackles last year weren't all big plays either!

he made a ton of plays, which differentiates him from Simoneau, who sails through some games without even a half a tackle.....a huge difference!

I don't know how good this kid is, but with proper coaching he could be very special in the NFL! Certainly he has the ability to make plays.....

Laurinaitis is not a "WOW" player but he gets the job done and tackles everything near him. I would take him at 10. Almost every time LSU ran the ball, Laurinaitis was there in on the stop.

I agree with birdog's assessment. He is a tackling machine. With the proper coaching and some NFL weight training, I think Laurinaitis will be a very good MLB.

18 tackles in a game is very impressive! If he averages 10 tackles/game in the NFL, that would translate to 160 tackles in a season......most of them would not be considered "big plays" per say, but I'm pretty sure Willis' 174 tackles last year weren't all big plays either!

he made a ton of plays, which differentiates him from Simoneau, who sails through some games without even a half a tackle.....a huge difference!

I don't know how good this kid is, but with proper coaching he could be very special in the NFL! Certainly he has the ability to make plays.....

Hey, I like the kid. And I would love for him to replace Simoneau. I would love for my dad's pet cockatiel to replace Simoneau. It takes a lot to generate 18 tackles, but the fact still remains 3 Buckeyes totaled double-digit tackles.

And comparing JL to Willis in this situation is far from accurate. Willis is the MLB on a bottom-tier NFL team with very little help. He led the team with 174 tackles, 69 more than the 2nd guy on the list, S Michael Lewis. The next-closest LB was Derek Smith with 78 tackles, 96 behind Willis. The other LB, Tully Banta-Cain had 41 tackles, 133 behind Willis. Willis also plays on an offensively-deficient team that scored 14 points/game with an injured Frank Gore, injured Alex Smith, and Trent Dilfer at starting QB. JL was on the #1 team in the country with a decent offense and the "#1 defense" and he is considered the leader of the defense and a first-round pick. He's also not aloe on that D talent-wise like Willis is. Glenn Dorsey is also considered a first-round pick and Ali Highsmith is considered a low-1 or mid-2. Both looked the part. JL had the stats, but not the performance. I only saw 1 play last night from JL where I said, "Now that's a good play." He should be at least somewhat dominating in college games, shouldn't he? And in the BIGGEST game as well? I like him and would like him as a Saint, but he didn't do much convincing last night.

Compare Laurinaitis to other linebackers who were drafted in the top 15 in the last couple of years.

10-Patrick Willis
15-Lawrence Timmons

5-AJ Hawk
9-Ernie Sims

15-Derrick Johnson

12-Vilma

In the past couple of years a top 15 pick on a linebacker has been pretty much money. The success rate looks high. I don't feel Laurinaitis compares to the likes of Willis,Hawk,Johnson, and even Vilma. The guy is not a bad player but he is not top 10 material compared to some of the other guys that came out in the last couple of years imo.

It was the only game he played this year against real competition, it would be dumb to judge him based upon his games against Akron or Youngstown. Even Ohio State fans think JL is overrated. JL's only claim to fame is that he's Animal's son.

Laurinaitis was active in the game which is good--even though most of his tackles were after a gain--atleast he was there unlike:confused: (Simoneaux). I liked grant more because he was active and attacking the ball, he seems to be much more aggressive than JL. Jenkins did ok--even though it was a gimme INT--maybe that just says something about the type of player that he is--We need those "johnny on the spot" type players, but I still am not sold on him though.

Man it just makes my mouth water thinking of the possibilities of this draft and off season

Just imagine if we take Laurinatis & Ali Highsmith & flowers (if he can drop to the 3rd)

and we got Samuel & a DT from the FA

ahhh the possibilities

but no our FO will never do anything great like that

they always find some way to disappoint us

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom