Quick Question about the end of the game. (1 Viewer)

I'm sure the officials were alerted to the coming TO, so they were watching for the give up by Ginn. They could have been horse's rear ends and hesitated a second or 2, and ran the clock out, but they cooperated.

They sort of owed us for forking up the clock at the end of the first half.

I have been arguing with a friend about the last pass to Ginn. He thinks if Houstons player doesnt touch him those 2 seconds run off the clock and game over.(obviously they still tackle him)

I don't know the rules, however I just think you would have seen this strategy before. He says only the QB can take a knee to stop the clock.
nope he wrong, a player can at any time during a play give himself up and go to the ground and end the play even though the clock keeps running, but the team can instantly call a time out at that point. it wasnt up to texans to decide whether the play ended or not

Gregg Easterbrook, when he was writing his Tuesday Morning Quarterback column for ESPN, often mentioned that in the rulebook it said if a player who catches a pass immediately goes down and yells "Down!" the offense gets a free kick (meaning the defense can't rush to block it) from that spot, which would've made it an easier attempt for Lutz. Too bad nobody on the Saints sideline thought of it.

Last edited:
I have been arguing with a friend about the last pass to Ginn. He thinks if Houstons player doesnt touch him those 2 seconds run off the clock and game over.(obviously they still tackle him)

I don't know the rules, however I just think you would have seen this strategy before. He says only the QB can take a knee to stop the clock.
What are you doing befriending a Falcon fan?

Gregg Easterbrook, when he was writing his Tuesday Morning Quarterback column for ESPN, often mentioned that in the rulebook it said if a player who catches a pass immediately goes down and yells "Down!" the offense gets a free kick (meaning the defense can't rush to to block it) from that spot, which would've made it an easier attempt for Lutz. Too bad nobody on the Saints sideline thought of it.

I’m pretty sure that rule only applies to fielding punts. It’s called the fair-catch-kick rule.

If you could do that anywhere on the field after a pass reception, teams would do that all the time.

He is Detroit
I don't do falcon fans
For the record, that comment stemmed from the Falcons forum. Several over there were asking the same question and even thought it was explained several times, they still kept brining it up. (y)

Happens all the time, even on the high school level. Coach comes up and says to the line judge "we are about to do exactly this" so there are no surprises or goof ups. At least all the good coaches do it.

They sort of owed us for forking up the clock at the end of the first half.

Until they make a bad call in the Saints favor, they still owe us. Making the correct call at the end doesn't really equal the 2 side of the scale.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom