Saints Quick thoughts following Saints over Bears... (1 Viewer)

Saint Taysom

MultiTool Tool
Reaction score
- That game never should have been that close. The Saints we’re down 3 at WR and that’s a factor, but the Bears shouldn’t have been able to hang around... the defense is still just too shaky.

- Apparently the injury to Rankins looked gruesome... but he did walk off the field... but into the locker room... I expect him to miss significant time.

- The loss of Rankins almost necessitates a move to be made for DL.

- Alvin Kamara is a BEAST.

- Deonte Harris deserves much love! He has come through many times.

- I keep waiting for the Taysom Hill QB package to include more than 1 play over and over and over. It’s really amazing that it still works sometimes... because everyone know it’s coming! Maybe they break-out a new wrinkle or trick play vs the Bucs.

- Overall, the Saints OL played great!

- In battles fought with long range snipers and heavy ground forces, Drew Brees is winning games with a set of throwing knives.

- The Saints ONLY gave up 1 big bomb tonight, and it didn’t go for a TD... so I guess that’s improvement?

- Gardner-Johnson possess a natural-born propensity towards getting WRs to punch him in the head with his helmet on.

- A win is a win is a win... but the Saints have a bunch to (CSP says) “clean up”

- Special teams was great aside from the missed FG.

- It was a fumble.

I don't understand why Taysom was lined up in shotgun and without a back? That's tells the defense Taysom is the only one with the ball.

I don't understand why Taysom was lined up in shotgun and without a back? That's tells the defense Taysom is the only one with the ball.

Well, it makes the matchups 11v11, so in theory, if Taysom beats his man, the play is a success. Still though... it’s painfully obvious what’s about to happen when we see him back there. I’m still holding out hope that he takes one of the ode snaps... fakes the run... and the takes a step back and launches one.
Two reasons here...
1. It’ll probably work... because everyone is crashing towards Taysom
2. It’ll make the Taysom run more effective... because teams will have to respect the option of the pass there.

Well, it makes the matchups 11v11, so in theory, if Taysom beats his man, the play is a success. Still though... it’s painfully obvious what’s about to happen when we see him back there. I’m still holding out hope that he takes one of the ode snaps... fakes the run... and the takes a step back and launches one.
Two reasons here...
1. It’ll probably work... because everyone is crashing towards Taysom
2. It’ll make the Taysom run more effective... because teams will have to respect the option of the pass there.
But I see that way too often this year

I guess Taysom can’t run the read option b/c he never reads the DE—just commits to running as soon as the ball is snapped. Or maybe Payton just doesn’t trust him to throw the ball and tells him to run?

Yeah on that fumble, to me it looked like the ball was already coming out before his forward progress was officially stopped. I don't know what the ruling is on that but they seemed to concentrate more on the fact that his forward progress was indeed stopped....instead of looking at the other side of the call which was when did the ball start coming out.

- It was a fumble.
Yes, it was a fumble.
If he had gotten away from Davis' tackle and picked up a few yards there is no way that the play would have been dead at that spot. The officials can't have it both ways. The play was still active and no whistle had blown. When the ball came out, the play was still live.

It was a bad ruling by the officials.

Yeah on that fumble, to me it looked like the ball was already coming out before his forward progress was officially stopped. I don't know what the ruling is on that but they seemed to concentrate more on the fact that his forward progress was indeed stopped....instead of looking at the other side of the call which was when did the ball start coming out.

Yeah, it looked that way to the ref standing there staring at it too... but someone that was away from the ball or not even at the game (NYC) made the call. That would’ve been game over... but I knew when I saw it, that they’d find a way to take it away... it’s just how it is

The problem I have is that they never call it that way. I remember a certain Saints play where Kamara had the ball at the goal line, was stood up and stopped, and then the defense took the ball out. That one got called a fumble although they clearly had stopped his forward progress.

Yeah, it looked that way to the ref standing there staring at it too... but someone that was away from the ball or not even at the game (NYC) made the call. That would’ve been game over... but I knew when I saw it, that they’d find a way to take it away... it’s just how it is

Yep. I texted a friend and said "Holy crap!" then quickly followed it up with "I doubt this stands..."

Yes, it was a fumble.
If he had gotten away from Davis' tackle and picked up a few yards there is no way that the play would have been dead at that spot. The officials can't have it both ways. The play was still active and no whistle had blown. When the ball came out, the play was still live.

It was a bad ruling by the officials.

...and of course when the refs overturned the ruling on the field, it became an unreviewable call

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom