Quit reveling in your misery (1 Viewer)

Exactly this.

The losses are disappointing but my wife and I enjoy spending the time together. Keep looking ahead to the next game and hoping for a win.

My wife isn't much interested in football, but thankfully, she's been kind enough to give me the freedom to be a fan. She even buys Saints gear for me from time to time without me even asking. <3

You guys (mods) have the ability to do something about this. And rather than just start a thread ******** about all the emotion-filled threads created after a loss (and hell, sometimes even after a win) I'll offer up suggestions.
Just for clarity's sake, guidomerkinsrules started this thread, and is not a mod.

1. Just like you guys created a game day thread so that all the discussion about what's going on during the game could be discussed in one place, you can make a "Post-Game Whining" thread (or whatever more appropriate name you want to give it) so that everyone who is emotional and just wants to ***** and complain without any actual logical discussion, can vent in said thread and argue with others to their heart's delight.
The problem is that posts tend to get lost in larger threads, and some feel the need to start their own threads so that their "unique take on the matter" can be seen, and not buried on page thirty-seven...

2. Mods can simply delete emotion-based incoherent ranting and raving about a loss threads that have no substance or value and contain no meaningful conversation and incite petty arguments.

We do in spades, when they run afoul of the TOS.

Just a thought. I'm not trying to be rude to you, Ward as I agree with your statement. Just making suggestions as all the arguing and emotion-based threads being seem to be outnumbering well-thought-out threads in which members communicate respectfully to each other. Members have no ability to manage that or change that but you guys do.

The issue is that we don't moderate opinion. We don't moderate whining. Only when a poster or thread goes over the line as expressed in the Posting Guidelines, are we able to take action. I mean, we totally could just zap everything that annoyed us, but then there'd be about forty posters and three active threads left.

Perhaps it's worth a discussion among the mods, I dunno. If we were winning, it would probably be a non-issue or insignificant but maybe some mitigation put in place to deal with the losses so that the SSF does not continue to turn into a massive dumpster fire.

There have been extensive discussions already, and they continue. Also there is this bit of guidance from Andrus that will be very relevant going forward:

Very observant! Shows a good feel for the community. :9: But it's really more like 9 or 10 habitual types that work to either incite or fan the flames of negativity. The rest are just normal members voicing their opinions which are sometimes negative, but also show reason and balance within their overall posting persona's.

Posting histories help us differentiate between the habitual offenders and the rest. I like to think of the habitual Trolls, Negative-Nancy's, Contrarians, and Kill-Joys as cancerous tumors within the belly of this community.

Over the next few weeks you will very likely notice many of them disappearing. Every few years, we have to perform a purge of sorts... for the good of the community. It's been quite a while since the last one.

It is appreciated.

I enjoyed the game yesterday. I liked seeing the defense play tough even through the loss of another defensive back. I enjoyed seeing them battle and fight hard until the last play. It was a bummer that we lost, but I wasn't overly disappointed with the game.

On the road against a good team and we came darn close to pulling out the win.

Here's to getting better every week!!!

You guys (mods) have the ability to do something about this. And rather than just start a thread ******** about all the emotion-filled threads created after a loss (and hell, sometimes even after a win) I'll offer up suggestions.

1. Just like you guys created a game day thread so that all the discussion about what's going on during the game could be discussed in one place, you can make a "Post-Game Whining" thread (or whatever more appropriate name you want to give it) so that everyone who is emotional and just wants to ***** and complain without any actual logical discussion, can vent in said thread and argue with others to their heart's delight.

2. Mods can simply delete emotion-based incoherent ranting and raving about a loss threads that have no substance or value and contain no meaningful conversation and incite petty arguments.

Just a thought. I'm not trying to be rude to you, Ward as I agree with your statement. Just making suggestions as all the arguing and emotion-based threads being seem to be outnumbering well-thought-out threads in which members communicate respectfully to each other. Members have no ability to manage that or change that but you guys do.

Perhaps it's worth a discussion among the mods, I dunno. If we were winning, it would probably be a non-issue or insignificant but maybe some mitigation put in place to deal with the losses so that the SSF does not continue to turn into a massive dumpster fire.

My $.02

What Crosswatt said... and this is what I've been typing, deleting, typing, deleting...

Trying to force "whining" discussion off to the side, honestly, would just create more work for us and be a headache.

People should be free to complain, free to cheer, etc. I think the guidelines are pretty clear about the type of complaining we expect. Thoughtful, or observation based reasoning. There is a correct observation that Anthony wasn't on the field. Of course, we find out it's because we played like 50+ snaps in the Nickel (Bell played like 46 of those and the other SS played 10-15), not because of some alleged defect with our coaching staff 'ruining' a player.

The comments about people being "useless", "garbage", etc are pretty much useless themselves (as well as against the posting guidelines), and they really don't add to discussion. It just turns argumentative for no good reason. I don't know if you saw it, but there is a video of a Raiders fan getting into a fight with another Raiders fan and he flips the dudes glasses off.. then pretty much gets knocked out. That's almost how I view certain bad posts right after a loss. People just being stupid, because they're drunk or mad and don't know how to channel it. Losing sucks. It's natural to be frustrated. But this site isn't Twitter. It's not the Pro Football Talk comment section. We have rules.

We pretty much do #2 all the time, within the guidelines. Without getting into it, let's just say there is more activity after a game than the rest of the week combined. Easily.

Just for clarity's sake, guidomerkinsrules started this thread, and is not a mod.

Yes, I knew that. I just wanted to reply to ward's comment yet detail that I was also going to offer some suggestions to those who have more ability to curtail the behavior rather than just start a thread about it.

When someone who is your peer (so in our case, posters) tells you stop doing something, people tend to just say things like "okay pot, meet kettle" and continue their behavior... When someone with the actual authority says the same thing, folks have to listen or face consequences.

There are no consequences for brushing off the OP. While I agree with most of what he said, he's not going to be the voice of reason with most of the people on this board.

This place is not what it used to be and even when I joined, I'd venture that folks who were on since the very early days would have said the same thing. I stayed off for awhile but once the season started again thought I could at least venture over to read up on football. Which in some instances, I can. But the noise from complaining and cat fighting drowns out the good stuff and that's unfortunate.

You guys have a tough job that I'm sure gets tougher with new members joining every day and I get that it's hard to moderate opinion. I was just trying to at least offer ideas instead of just contributing to the whining.

Yes, I knew that. I just wanted to reply to ward's comment yet detail that I was also going to offer some suggestions to those who have more ability to curtail the behavior rather than just start a thread about it.

When someone who is your peer (so in our case, posters) tells you stop doing something, people tend to just say things like "okay pot, meet kettle" and continue their behavior... When someone with the actual authority says the same thing, folks have to listen or face consequences.

There are no consequences for brushing off the OP. While I agree with most of what he said, he's not going to be the voice of reason with most of the people on this board.

This place is not what it used to be and even when I joined, I'd venture that folks who were on since the very early days would have said the same thing. I stayed off for awhile but once the season started again thought I could at least venture over to read up on football. Which in some instances, I can. But the noise from complaining and cat fighting drowns out the good stuff and that's unfortunate.

You guys have a tough job that I'm sure gets tougher with new members joining every day and I get that it's hard to moderate opinion. I was just trying to at least offer ideas instead of just contributing to the whining.

:9:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom