Quite griping the Saints Can’t Draft (1 Viewer)

So the Saints are better at drafting than the Patriots and the 2019 draft is almost just as good as the 2017 draft. Got it. 🤣🤣😂😂

The Saints have been very good at drafting in the recent past. Some years they absolutely nail it. But.....not always. Occasionally they have a clunker draft. On paper this year looks to be one of those -

1st - Turner - a big raw DE that should’ve dominated in college but didn’t. 10 career sacks in college (total, not a single season)

2nd - Werner - he’s “good” at everything but not “great” at anything.

3rd - Adebo - could’ve been a late first or high second round pick but opted out of the 2020 season with the Covid protocol. What does his skipping out on a crucial season say about his love/commitment to the game.

4th - Book - a scrappy undersized QB.....that the coach admits he sees himself in. Not to be too harsh on Payton but his NFL career consisted of being a replacement player during the players strike of 1987.

6th - Young - a giant lumbering OT who at best might be Zach Strief part two, at worst a camp body.

7th - Baker - a slightly more solidly built version of Trequan Smith. Can he stay healthier than Smith? We’ll see.

Honestly it’s too early to tell. Once these guys strap on pads their assessments may change completely but until then this sure looks like a clunker......

Also consider that just because a team make you the starter doesnt mean the pick was a success. It just means the team played the guy they drafted.

lies, damn lies or statistics. Show the metrics and defintion for return (not valid until 4 years out is urban legend), put up the rationale for the hypothesis and show us the real numbers (money). We probably do better in the draft than FA but it is certainly a combination both. TB won a SB on FA and Goat12 along with better cap management. When You blow at cap management, then you darn well better draft great. Making us get under the cap by hook or crook is not great cap management.

The Saints have been very good at drafting in the recent past. Some years they absolutely nail it. But.....not always. Occasionally they have a clunker draft. On paper this year looks to be one of those -

1st - Turner - a big raw DE that should’ve dominated in college but didn’t. 10 career sacks in college (total, not a single season)

2nd - Werner - he’s “good” at everything but not “great” at anything.

3rd - Adebo - could’ve been a late first or high second round pick but opted out of the 2020 season with the Covid protocol. What does his skipping out on a crucial season say about his love/commitment to the game.

4th - Book - a scrappy undersized QB.....that the coach admits he sees himself in. Not to be too harsh on Payton but his NFL career consisted of being a replacement player during the players strike of 1987.

6th - Young - a giant lumbering OT who at best might be Zach Strief part two, at worst a camp body.

7th - Baker - a slightly more solidly built version of Trequan Smith. Can he stay healthier than Smith? We’ll see.

Honestly it’s too early to tell. Once these guys strap on pads their assessments may change completely but until then this sure looks like a clunker......
I mean all of us are doing this to an extent, but you started with a conclusion and worked your way backwards- focusing on faults and to generate a narrative (most egregious is the ‘sitting out/commitment to football’ thing - yikes that’s a troubling take)

I mean all of us are doing this to an extent, but you started with a conclusion and worked your way backwards- focusing on faults and to generate a narrative (most egregious is the ‘sitting out/commitment to football’ thing - yikes that’s a troubling take)

I did not start with the conclusion this was a bad draft (and it may still prove not to be). I read about each pick then watched video of each and then formulated my opinion. From what I read and watched the warning signs are there that several of these picks have a high failure potential. I do like a few - Werner, Adebo, and Young.

And my questioning of Adebo‘s opting of the season seems valid to me. Unless Adebo has a medical reason for opting out - diabetes, lung issues, etc. Let me put it like this - you don’t think Trevor Lawrence‘s love/commitment to the game wouldn’t be questioned had he opted out of the 2020 season?

The OP obviously spent some time on the original post, and I commend him for his effort. But I honestly do not understand the methodology used, and the annual percentages for the Saints make little sense. It seems the percentages for the Saints are 125 in 2010, 119 in 2011, 164 in 2012, 143 in 2013, 67 in 2014, 72 in 2015, 128 in 2016, 151 in 2017, 70 in 2018, and 148 in 2019. In 2012, our best picks were Akiem Hicks and Corey White.

The 2016 draft was outstanding, the type of draft a team has every 5 to 7 years, but the 128 score was lower than the results for 2013 and 2019, and comparable to the score for 2010.

The 2017 draft was on an even higher level, the type of draft a team has every 10 to 20 years. Yet its percentage was lower than that for 2013, and only slightly higher than the number for 2013 and 2019.

I at times have been critical of our drafting, though the criticism has not really focused on the players we picked, but our penchant for trading away draft picks to trade up.

Last edited:
And my questioning of Adebo‘s opting of the season seems valid to me. Unless Adebo has a medical reason for opting out - diabetes, lung issues, etc. Let me put it like this - you don’t think Trevor Lawrence‘s love/commitment to the game wouldn’t be questioned had he opted out of the 2020 season?

I've seen a number of people state that sitting out is some kind of "football sin" where you question the kids "commitment"....I call total BS, this is utter nonsense.

With all the uncertainty of last year i think it is perfectly reasonable for players to sit out, now if they come into camp out of shape or overweight that's another thing....but judging by the pre draft workouts this is not the case with most players who did, include Adebo.....

Last edited:
Do you have evidence on the contrary?

And yes I do have evidence.

Here is one of many articles.

This was the quote in question:

Studies like this one are typically done by people with very limited understanding on how to conduct a study.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom