Race, class factor into Katrina recovery (1 Viewer)

SaintJ

hard, pipe-hittin'
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
I'm not going to bother to open a link to the house organ for the San Antonio Chamber of Commerce, but if the story reflects the fact that something in America is affected by race and class, let me tell how shocked that would make me.

Reaction score
I guess the lesson is that you can't trust insurance companies to do what is right. I'm not sure why this needs to be made a racial issue.

SharonT

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Not clicking the link either, because it's probably a rehashed version of that story that came out a few weeks ago.

They totally missed the point of savings/disposable incomes. No matter what color OR what neighborhood - those people with a major nestegg (or extensive family resources as in the case of the Vietnamese community in N.O. East) were able to fix their houses faster, giving themselves time to recoup emotionally, and THEN tackle their insurance companies. They had options. Those that had to rely soley on their own insurance companies OR the government risked more frustration and burn-out.

But, that explanation is TOO much common sense. Let's just not do any homework, and blame it on race. :rolleyes:

Brennan77

Bass Manager
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Not clicking the link either, because it's probably a rehashed version of that story that came out a few weeks ago.

They totally missed the point of savings/disposable incomes. No matter what color OR what neighborhood - those people with a major nestegg (or extensive family resources as in the case of the Vietnamese community in N.O. East) were able to fix their houses faster, giving themselves time to recoup emotionally, and THEN tackle their insurance companies. They had options. Those that had to rely soley on their own insurance companies OR the government risked more frustration and burn-out.

But, that explanation is TOO much common sense. Let's just not do any homework, and blame it on race. :rolleyes:
In fairness, that point was clearly made in the article.

Mr. Blue Sky

Still P***ed at Yoko
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I guess the lesson is that you can't trust insurance companies to do what is right. I'm not sure why this needs to be made a racial issue.

...I'm convinced that there is a special place in Hell for insurance executives, child molestors, Donald Rumsfeld and Terrell Owens.........

SharonT

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
You made me click the link, Brennan. It's the same article word by word. My problem with it is the vague "AP analysis." Who??? How??? They presume a lot.

Though poor and minority neighborhoods suffered the brunt of Katrina's fury, residents living in white neighborhoods have been three times as likely as...
Umm. Lakeview got 9 feet of water, too! And what about the many mixed neighborhoods of the city? How can you separate them out by race? Or the fact that many of the displaced (of any color) are renters, and wouldn't qualify for LRA help anyway! Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy.

Brennan77

Bass Manager
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
You made me click the link, Brennan. It's the same article word by word. My problem with it is the vague "AP analysis." Who??? How??? They presume a lot.

Umm. Lakeview got 9 feet of water, too! And what about the many mixed neighborhoods of the city? How can you separate them out by race? Or the fact that many of the displaced (of any color) are renters, and wouldn't qualify for LRA help anyway! Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy.

I'm not in disagreement. But the article clearly made the point of families, such as the one in Slidell, that had the means to fix their properties without yet having their insurance settlement. A lot of people do/did not have those means. There's no question about it. The issue is about class, not race. But that doesn't necessarily make as good a headline.

Last edited:

killah

Very Bland
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I still have not been paid by my insurance company for my roof. Well, they gave me just over 1000 dollars but that isn't enough to replace it.

MSUSousaphone

Owning the CONCACAF
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

I agree.

"There's lies, damn lies, and statistics."

-Mark Twain

Wolbrat

Need more coffee
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The article presents those with nest eggs and savings as "white" and those without education and savings as "black." Misleading and overgeneralized at best.

I have never seen more truthful information presented in such a biased way. Race and income as factors in who pursued the insurance companies and fought for what was due is not racism. But it sure sounds like it WAS racism in parts of this article.

Sharon, haven't you figured out by now that Lakeview is not to be mentioned because it doesn't support the conspiracy theories? Geez, let it go already. ;)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom