Radio streaming @ WWL or KANE (1 Viewer)

llama

Very Banned
Reaction score
WWL has recently changed something that now interferes with my ability to listen to their streams. The same thing has happened over at KANE.

IF anybody using Linux has success please post so we can compare which media packages may be installed on your machine that are not on mine.

I'm running an up-to-date version of Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon (7.10), and trying to access the streams through Firefox using the MediaPlayerConnectivity add-on (that is currently pointing to Xine).

Thanks,

Looks like WWL actually HAS documentation/suggestions for Linux users. Wow, that surprised me. I'm off to disable the MPC add-on and try the mplayer-plugin one instead. If I fix it, I'll mark this solved.

No such luck. I had no luck with totem-mozilla, which used the totem backend. Nor did I have luck with the mplayer-plugin (named mozilla-mplayer in Ubuntu). The bumper ads in front throw it off.

So I am looking for what your solution is.

Do these stations use flash player? I recently downgraded to amd64 Feisty (I was having too many problems with Gutsy) and can't even get flash to work now. I used to use automatix to install this stuff, but their support has been in the toilet lately.

Do these stations use flash player? I recently downgraded to amd64 Feisty (I was having too many problems with Gutsy) and can't even get flash to work now. I used to use automatix to install this stuff, but their support has been in the toilet lately.

Nope. My flash support is perfect, but I run the 32-bit o/s on a 64 machine just b/c I got tired of messing with those sort of issues.

As the instructions from WWL ask users to install Windows Media Player for Windows/Mac, I assume it's a WMV stream. I've checked the page source to try and extract the URI but I haven't had any luck yet.

When I went to the WWL page I clicked a link that said "Listen Live". After that it wants to install Flash. That's why I was asking. The station I listen to up here for the morning traffic reports used to ask if you wanted to use windows media or real player. I just noticed it's not giving that choice anymore. It does work on my xp system.

I just went to liquidcompass.net, who evidently supports the streaming. Their site states that they support linux...

DOES THE PLAYER SUPPORT LINUX USERS? HOW ABOUT MAC USERS?

Yes! Liquid Compass does support Linux. If you download mplayer (MPlayer-0.90), and then download the Mozilla mplayer plugin (mplayerplug-in-0.95), you will be able to play Windows Media streaming. If you are still having issues be sure that you have downloaded and installed the additional codecs from the mplayer homepage.

FWIW

Yeah, I tried that and mentioned it earlier in the thread. The stream attempts to start but flubs up when the bumper ads are played.

Perhaps the next time somebody has it running in Windows Media Player they could attach the URL here?

So I tried to grab the URL like this:

Code:
 mplayer -dumpstream http://webclust1.liquidcompass.cc/entercom/asx/gwasx_WWL.asx >/dev/null 2>&1

Which gives me a stream.dump file. Running `cat` on it gives this:

Code:
ken@llamakc 05:05:26:~$ cat stream.dump 
<ASX VERSION="3.0">
<ENTRYREF HREF="http://cas-m.streamadz.com/cas/mirror/adz_view.php?publisherID=41&type=gateway&ext=.ASX&limit=1&canskip=no&syncview=no" />

So it's those **** ads that are messing me up.

Any ideas?

Thanks. I have toyed with -dumpaudio but not mencoder, which I've used in the past for other purposes.

The problem I'm finding is that the stream is in the form of a .asx file, which is only a badly-formed xml file. The first one I get from WWL has an URL for the adserver, but I never get beyond that.

I've tried with the -playlist option as well as replacing 'http' with 'mms'.

Perhaps I'll fire up IE and see what I can find.

Did you get this going in IE?
I tried with IE6 on Linux and got nowhere.

It is, without a doubt, a problem on WWL's side, not Liquid Compass'
On the WWL page, using mplayerplug-in, it will open up and try to play a 2 second file with no success (web ad?). However, I can go HERE and open up all of the different player links on that page, using the mplayerplug-in.

What a pain! :angryrazz:
I am beginning to wonder if the webmaster that posted the Linux information even tried it or did they just copy/paste that from the Liquid Compass site?:dunno:

I had no luck. I'm going to string a well-worded email to them with the details of what I tried and see if THEY can make it work.

Bump. I'm going to go through the PITA to contact WWL and liquidcompass for this. I'm jonesing for some T/C talk.

FIXED!

Use this URL mms://wmc2.liquidcompass.cc/WWL?MSWMExt=.asf

with vlc, mplayer, or xine. Right now vlc is working for me just fine. Woohoo!

FIXED!

Use this URL mms://wmc2.liquidcompass.cc/WWL?MSWMExt=.asf

with vlc, mplayer, or xine. Right now vlc is working for me just fine. Woohoo!
Yes it's fixed, EXCELLENT !!
Went to Amarok --> Playlist --> Add Stream
Permanently saved it in my PlayList.
Works and sounds great.

Can listen to today's scrimmage game!

thanx a bunch, llamakc

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom