Raiders GM Reggie McKenzie Fired (1 Viewer)

That officially makes it a complete rebuild in Oakland... or Las Vegas... or wherever they end up.

Watching Cooper and Mack making impact play after impact play for their new respective teams certainly gives evidence as to why this move needed to take place.

I will say this though, in a year or two, their rookie pass rushers will be pretty good investments. Key and Hurst. 4 sacks for Hurst, 1 for Key, both rotate in. They will be fine eventually.

The Bears and Cowboys are going to the playoffs because the Gruden monster is getting rid of players instead of coaching them. His ornery style of coaching will get stale quickly and any GM would be hesitant to hire on with that team.

Jeff Ireland is a scout head...and on the road a lot. He failed as a GM before... And honestly. Forcing this man to be in front office with more responsibilities than letting him do what he best at is a detriment. Him being taken for a GM spot is a lose-lose situation. You aren't getting the superior accounting and contract negotiation skills of a Loomis and you unnecessarily put to many Chiefs and not enough Indians in the draft room. It hurt us more to lose an elite scout than it is give away a potential GM that cannot do what does best.

I like that we are grooming him to be the GM, but when just does one thing exceptionally well. Just don't like the idea of taking him off the road to manage personnel, contract, salary cap, and etc. Jeff would need a lot of help unlike Loomis.

I think this locks 2018 as the final season in Oakland. No way the city lets them stay another year.

The Raiders GM job is the worst due to Gruden’s contract and ego.

Jeff Ireland is a scout head...and on the road a lot. He failed as a GM before... And honestly. Forcing this man to be in front office with more responsibilities than letting him do what he best at is a detriment. Him being taken for a GM spot is a lose-lose situation. You aren't getting the superior accounting and contract negotiation skills of a Loomis and you unnecessarily put to many Chiefs and not enough Indians in the draft room. It hurt us more to lose an elite scout than it is give away a potential GM that cannot do what does best.

I like that we are grooming him to be the GM, but when just does one thing exceptionally well. Just don't like the idea of taking him off the road to manage personnel, contract, salary cap, and etc. Jeff would need a lot of help unlike Loomis.

I think Loomis could move to a Team President type role and essentially handle most of his current responsibilities while allowing Ireland to take the title and pay of GM while not changing a tone of his day-to-day responsibilities... essentially us getting the best of both.

The Bears and Cowboys are going to the playoffs because the Gruden monster is getting rid of players instead of coaching them. His ornery style of coaching will get stale quickly and any GM would be hesitant to hire on with that team.
I’m not sure about Cooper, but I’m pretty sure I read sonewherethat the Khalil Mack trade was on the GM, not Gruden. Probably a factor in why he was fired.

ETA: Now, NFLN is reporting that these deals were indeed Gruden’s moves. They also are saying that Gruden had Hs own separate scouting department. So he was basically undermining McKenzie. Crazy.

Last edited:
I think Loomis could move to a Team President type role and essentially handle most of his current responsibilities while allowing Ireland to take the title and pay of GM while not changing a tone of his day-to-day responsibilities... essentially us getting the best of both.
Giving him the title is great, but there is some scrutiny when creating a new position to keep the status quo.

Also, Jeff help built a historically great team. I doubt he would wanna leave anytime soon. It's like carrying a baby till birth and leaving it to make another baby with a bum father in Gruden. I find it hard to believe that Vegas Raiders GM job has any exciting offers to pull Ireland away. You can't hire your own staff and be forced to talent evaluate with Gruden of all people with a gutted roster under horrible ownership. Shouldn't have to worry Raiders stealing him. They are gonna have to find a guy trying to find away into the league and establish himself. Established front office guys aren't going to Oakland..

I was thinking the other day, if I was Gruden I would assemble the best drafting front office I possibly could. This is probably a step in that direction.

Operation: Protect Jeff Ireland is now full go.
This type of 'firing' was written on the wall when Gruden was hired. Any GM put in place by Oakland will be the '#2' behind Gruden in the pecking order. Once the Steelers failed to get past that trap game, Jon pulled the strings with the owner, as in 'I'm on the right track and let me run the show'.
The owner, Mark Davis, gave this man a 10yr contract. And to think about that, what other coach has that contract?
This was in the cards. No one hired as GM will have the 'say' of Gruden and Ireland won't even think of going there, in my humble from the State of Pa. opinion!
Here's to our victory in Atlanta in 53 days

Watching Cooper and Mack making impact play after impact play for their new respective teams certainly gives evidence as to why this move needed to take place.

I will say this though, in a year or two, their rookie pass rushers will be pretty good investments. Key and Hurst. 4 sacks for Hurst, 1 for Key, both rotate in. They will be fine eventually.

Reggie was not behind those moves. Gruden made it clear he didn't want to pay Mack. He didn't even meet with him or try talking with him. He complained in the media saying players are overpaid today which made him sound like an angry old person online whining about "the kids these days have ruined everything". I guess he don't know that the players he'll be drafting this year are millenials and they too, are going to want to be paid better (and they should be).

Gruden has turned what was once a team on the rise, into a complete dumpster fire in less than a year. He better draft well, otherwise they are completely screwed when they get to Vegas. (His drafting history in Tampa was mediocre at best, so there isn't much hope).

The Raiders had 3 great things going for them, all thanks to Reggie; a franchise QB, one of the best defensive players in the league and a solid o-line.

Carr looks like all the QBs from Gruden's Tampa years now as he's tried to turn him into the next Rich Gannon with his 1998 offense. Gruden deserves credit here. He managed to ruin this kid in much less time than it took to wreck Brad Johnson and the other QBs he had in Tampa.

Mack was traded and that move is looking even worse today with the Bears on the brink of winning the NFC North.

Their once respectable o-line has now been destroyed too. Gruden brought in Tom Cable out of Seattle for the o-line coach position; the same Tom Cable whom Al Davis fired years ago and whom couldn't build an o-line in Seattle to protect Russell Wilson.

It's Gruden's mess now. Reggie will get another job somewhere as a GM.

Unfortnually there isn't any hiding our success. The sting that will be the poaching of our coaching staff can only be soothed by the Lombardi gras hangover we will all have...

Mike Nolan, CJ, Aaron Glenn, Dan Campbell, Carmichael, Dennis Allen, Ryan Nelson, Joe Lombari… Any of those guys could be Head Coaches or get promotions to DC, OC with other teams (NFL or College)...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom