Raiders now letting Carr speak with teams regarding a trade (1 Viewer)

I’m in the minority who isn’t going to say a trade is a deal-breaker for me. Really depends on the trade terms and if the salary can be worked out. This team has to get better at QB and the opportunities to accomplish that this offseason are going to be few. Carr, imo, is about the best of the veteran possibilities.
If you don’t think you can win the free agency bidding war, a trade could be worth pursuing. The contract isn’t as bad as it looks, looking at $40m guaranteed on a three year contract, that would be I think 13th in guaranteed money per year among active QB contracts. The floor has to at least be there in free agency.

A restructure could get his cap hit down to $9m this year and still leave some reasonable post June 1 outs in the next couple of years if it goes south.

I think most teams will have the same philosophy when it comes to acquiring Carr and that the raiders want to move on from Carr so wait until they either release him or come down on their demands for a trade.

Carr is done in Vegas. Whether it is the coach, the record of the team. Adams signed in Vegas to play with Carr. It makes no sense for the Raiders to cut Carr when it is they have so many offense line and defensive problems. I think the basic answer is Carr is not a good fit for the coaches system. (McDaniels old New England system). No team is going to trade for Carr with that cap hit plus he has a no trade clause. So the question is who are teams not drafting near the top of the draft for one of the top three quarterbacks who need a quarterback who are not the Raiders who Carr might want to play for in 2023.

Seven other teams are looking for a QB: IND, Hou, and CAR all draft high. Jets, NO, TB, and maybe WAS. Garropolo is a strong candidate for the Jets. TB may keep their recent draft pick Kyle Trask. WAS has money in Wentz.
Dennis Allen drafted Derrick Carr when he was in Oakland. It is not far fetched to see him making his way to NO if he gets cut or refuses a trade and the Raiders balk at paying Carr his bonus.

I'm just meh on Carr, but looking at the FA class this year I would either sign him or draft a rookie and roll with it. I'm out on Jimmy G and the rest. Honestly I'd rather move up for a QB and start building for the next decade rather than signing an older guy for a big contract.

I think teams are going to wait for Carr to hit free agency. Unless Carr really falls in love with a team and comes to a handshake agreement to immediately restructure with his new team, I just can't see anyone taking on his current cap hits.

I think teams are going to wait for Carr to hit free agency. Unless Carr really falls in love with a team and comes to a handshake agreement to immediately restructure with his new team, I just can't see anyone taking on his current cap hits.
If you’re not adding any years, you can typically restructure a player’s contract without their approval. The Saints would want to add a couple of void years, that would need approval.

If you don’t think you can win the free agency bidding war, a trade could be worth pursuing. The contract isn’t as bad as it looks, looking at $40m guaranteed on a three year contract, that would be I think 13th in guaranteed money per year among active QB contracts. The floor has to at least be there in free agency.

A restructure could get his cap hit down to $9m this year and still leave some reasonable post June 1 outs in the next couple of years if it goes south.
Carr has a no trade clause. If he does not want to come as a free agent, he can certainly deny a trade.

Trade MT for Carr?
I will willingly admit I know nothing about how these things work but I was wondering how an AK trade for carr would work. I would not want that to happen but I'm curious if that's something they would think about doing.

Derek Carr is NOT the last piece of the puzzle for the Saints.

Regardless, he's not a $40M/year QB imo.

Mickey should use 2023 to righten the salary cap ship somewhat and bide his time for 2024 and beyond.

Going all in with pocket 10s is a fool's errand.
Allen has no other choice.

I'd wait them out. I wouldn't trade for him. Wait for him to be cut then try to sign him on our terms.
That can also be done with a trade. Breesus posted alikely scenario where Carr agrees to a complete rewrite of his current contract once the trade is completed. This will have to happen before Feb 15th though.

Carr has a no trade clause. If he does not want to come as a free agent, he can certainly deny a trade.
Good point, so the other side of it is whether Carr thinks he can get more than a 3yr $120m contract with $40m guaranteed from a team he wants to play for.

One thing I forgot is that they have to deal him or cut him before free agency, that’s different than what we have for MT13. The Raiders would have more leverage if the guarantee didn’t kick in until a couple days after free agency opens, because then Carr would have to worry that the teams most willing to throw big dollars at a QB won’t risk waiting for him to be released only to end up with no QB.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom