Raiders now letting Carr speak with teams regarding a trade (1 Viewer)

Swap them give them MT and his contract and we take Carr and his contract
With they way the contracts are written that wouldn't even come close to be an even trade. I bet LV jump jump all over that and laugh the whole time.

This is true, DA has every reason in the world to push for win now but that’s why you have a GM and an owner with an eye on the future.
If they aren't working towards winning this crappy division this year then they don't deserve their positions.

If they aren't working towards winning this crappy division this year then they don't deserve their positions.
Yea, well of course… but not by any means necessary.

If you have to lock yourself into a long term contract with an average/below average QB then no.

Loomis has staked his rep on Allen being a successful as a coach. He's going to do everything he can to help him. If he doesn't he'll be on the hot seat next.

You can have all the cap space in the world but if you don't have a QB you don't have anything. He went hard after Watson, apparently tried to get Wilson. They know they need a QB and we're not in position to draft a surefire prospect.
I know that. I was responding to the posters' assertion that a team will be okay as long as it has a GM and ownership that keeps its eye on the future. I know Loomis will not tank the team, but I worry about his sense of urgency at this stage in his career. My concern with signing Carr is that we go right back in the cap hole and compromise future flexibility if we get another coach.

Yea, well of course… but not by any means necessary.

If you have to lock yourself into a long term contract with an average/below average QB then no.
If you don't play to win then don't play. If that QB's contract means having to get rid of other players that give you a better chance to win then it isn't worth it.

I know that. I was responding to the posters' assertion that a team will be okay as long as it has a GM and ownership that keeps its eye on the future. I know Loomis will not tank the team, but I worry about his sense of urgency at this stage in his career. My concern with signing Carr is that we go right back in the cap hole and compromise future flexibility if we get another coach.

I hear what you're saying about Carr but after 2024 things start to look a whole lot better cap wise. Loomis knows it and can adjust accordingly. Our current cap problem is we've paid a lot of money to guys that haven't produced. Michael Thomas and Andrus Peat are the two biggest of those contracts. We just need to be more selective with big contracts in the future. Unfortunately for us QB is just the position where you can't afford to be cheap. If you don't have one you're no one. So go do whatever it takes, play the rest of FA conservatively and draft well. Then hope the coaches have learned some lessons and maybe it won't be as miserable as last year.

I'm not getting this. Given the way the Raiders handled the Carr situation, why would anyone want to trade for him? They're just going to wait for him to be released. And I also heard he has a no trade clause in his contract. Is that confirmed?

I'm not getting this. Given the way the Raiders handled the Carr situation, why would anyone want to trade for him? They're just going to wait for him to be released. And I also heard he has a no trade clause in his contract. Is that confirmed?
Two reasons:

1. Get the jump on other teams before he hits FA

2. Get LV to eat some of his $ in exchange for draft compensation.

Number-2 is probably the biggest factor, imo. Because it could lead to a win-win-win. Carr gets the team he wants. Team who wants carr gets him and some cap relief. And the Raiders get a pick.

Two reasons:

Number-2 is probably the biggest factor, imo. Because it could lead to a win-win-win. Carr gets the team he wants. Team who wants carr gets him and some cap relief. And the Raiders get a pick.
Just confirmed that he has a no trade clause. In addition, it makes no sense as the Raiders have basically said they they're moving on without him. They're going to release him anyway..

Just confirmed that he has a no trade clause. In addition, it makes no sense as the Raiders have basically said they they're moving on without him. They're going to release him anyway..
WADR, did you even read what I typed? Lol

Yes I did. And I don't agree with it WADR.😏
I’m not even saying a trade is likely.

But you asked why would it happen. There’s a world where it benefits everyone, including Carr and his new team, by giving each side more money to play with.

Where is it reported that he wants to be play here?

fair question, I should've said "allegedly" - just a ton of chatter all over the radio, podcasts, internet etc about mutual interest, Carr liking DA, etc. But nothing has been "reported" about the Saints being a preferred destination. I don't think it's an unreasonable leap.

For me, it’s go with Derek Carr, or run back the Taysom experiment for a year.

Just please not another year of Dalton.

Two reasons:

Number 2 really depends on what the Raiders have up their sleeve for Carr's replacement. It works if they're trying to get younger and cheaper, but probably not if they plan on taking a swing for an Aaron Rodgers.

It will be an interesting off-season for sure.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom