Raiders ready to use the tag on top CB (1 Viewer)

Cajun Chat

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
from prosportsdaily.com

Actually, Asomugha won't hit the open market. He's likely to be named the Raiders' franchise player by Thursday's deadline.

yeah no suprises here...we expected this, same with haynesworth... if the best player on ur team is a free agent you pretty much have to franchise them...

Yeah they all will be franchised according to John Clayton. A record amount of teams are 20 mil plus below the cap and all big names are staying put except the 2 names that were holdouts last year and got guarentees to hit the market this year. Lance Briggs and Asante Samuel, I personally would like to see Briggs in here but i'd settle for either. Nnamdi was a no brainer for the Raiders to franchise. Like many said likewise with Haynesworth and the Tennesse.

The only thing I am interested in the next week is if the Seachickens really franchise Josh Brown over Marcus Trufant. That could work out great for us.

Ty Law, Zach Thomas, and Alge Crumpler also just hit the market and I think they are worth a look at least. But alot of guys are staying put this year.

Good move for them. Bad one for us. This means that Asante's price just went up a little bit more.

Last edited:
The franchise tag helps keep salaries somewhat in line. It helps the NFL. It certainly helps the Saints and other small market teams.

The franchise tag helps keep salaries somewhat in line. It helps the NFL. It certainly helps the Saints and other small market teams.

The salary cap is what keeps salaries in line. The franchise tag just stipulates how the player's salary will have to be compared to the top 5 salaries of players at the same position.

Without the salary cap the Washington Redskins would become the New York Yankees of the NFL. Not necessarily a winner but they would buy everyone else's talent.....

The salary cap is what keeps salaries in line. The franchise tag just stipulates how the player's salary will have to be compared to the top 5 salaries of players at the same position.

The tag helps a small market team like the Saints hold on to a special player without breaking the bank. If every franchised player were allowed to hit the market, someone would always manage to pay them more than the Saints. The tag and the cap work together. But, without the tag it would be harder for a team like the Saints to hang on to them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom