Raiders to tag (1 Viewer)

Woke up on the wrong side of the bed huh?

Payton said we will go after some impact defensive players this offseason. We'll see?

It's not the fact we would not have attempted to sign him, he may not choose here. We have a shot at every FA, but other offers can have more upside and location, location, location.

This just makes the market for top FA CB that much more competitive. Just driving the price up for guys like Samuel and Trufant.

If we want a top level corner, we will have to go hard after Trufant or Samuels. I still don't believe seattle wont tag him because of kicker. Mora Jr. will be the coach in the '09 season and he has a big influence on the DB's being the DB coach and all. I don't know, why would they let such good young talent walk. Unless they don't think he is as valuable as the outside nfl world does.

As for Samuels, he may be our biggest target in the offseason. Payton wants an impact guy, this could be him. Knowing that McKenzie is coming off a knee injury and our other corners aren't NFL material, Payton may have no choice but to go after him. He will want top dollar but Asante is a shutdown corner in this league. I would rather pay him big than draft a rookie corner with our first pick. At least asante is proven. I love the quote he said to the media "if I'm to be considered one of the top corners in this league, I got to come up with that play. If I make that interception we win the game". They asked him about that ball he almost picked off in the closing drives against the giants in the superbowl. I like the fact that he knows he can do better and takes accountability for his play on the field and wants to be the best corner in the league.

Him resigning with the patriots is very possible but they won't give him the money he is looking for. The jets will pursue him heavily again this season. He may want to reunite with Manginie(sp).

The Saints may offer him the most money, knowing Paytons mindset for this off season.

Out of any corner in the league, I think he would fit us the best.
Trufant has the pass rush and players in front of him which we don't. New Orleans is probably an improvement for Asamogha.

He plays man to man, doesn't bite on fakes, never gets burnt, and produces lots of turnovers.
If we would have got him, even with limited pass rush, we would have seen a great deal more turnovers and less TDs given up by our pass defense I think.

Oh well, Trufant/Samuel/Florence it is if we make a big splash in FA.

I guess we just have to go after Trufant now, and then improve our pass rush in the draft and maybe an FA like Corey Willams.

Everybody knew that was going to happen anyways. You don't just let a guy like that walk away.

I think we're just shocked that Al Davis is smart enough to do something productive for his team.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom