Rajon Rondo signed (1 Viewer)

We get it, you hate Demps. But to complain that we aren't doing anything and then complain as soon as we do something is fairly obnoxious. Rondo is on a cheap 1 year deal, so no major risk at all here. But to me, the Pelicans have basically added Demarcus Cousins, signed Jrue Holiday to a long term contract and signed Rajon Rondo to a 1 year deal. That's 3 All Stars signed. I know the Asik contract is a horrible, but I would hate to mortgage the future and deal away 1st round picks just to shed that contract which could prove valuable in a trade next year due to it expiring then. I wish Demps wasn't here anymore, but I don't hate what he did this offseason.

Amen.

You're right, we should have mortgaged everything for Chris Paul who is always healthy and has so many deep playoff runs...

For real, I feel like so many fans just expect that every team can just go out and grab an All-NBA talent player. Its not the case in the current NBA and we went out and got an experienced player who day one can have an impact for what is very likely close to $4 million a year and people still don't think we have done anything. Demps pulled off an amazing trade last season to grab a top 15 player to pair with our once in a lifetime talent, retained our third best player so we didn't take a step back and grabbed a veteran PG who has a lot of experience. All for a team that was ranked top 10 at the end of last season after Cousins got here. Is this team perfect, no, but lets stop acting like they are the Knicks.

Don't think I said that. So Dell Demps got one signing right that could leave in the offseason in 8 years? Is that impressive. Yet OKC was the one that pulled off the trade for Paul George. T-Wolves just moved into playoff position. What a shock at who made this list.5 Worst NBA Contracts at Every Position | Bleacher Report

Whether or not Jrue Holiday lives up to his new, near-max contract depends on how you view the situation.

Optimists will note this deal only takes him through his 31st birthday. He should end up playing through his best years without dropping off a cliff by the end of this agreement—a rare combination for those signing the third pact of their career.

But Holiday's price point is more about the New Orleans Pelicans than his outlook. They didn't have any other options. Letting him walk wouldn't have even left them enough money to realistically poach Patty Mills from the San Antonio Spurs.

Where the Pelicans weren't paying Holiday out of necessity, they were compensating him for functional concession. He won't have the ball in his hands as much playing beside DeMarcus Cousins and Anthony Davis, and his role blurs further with New Orleans' addition of Rajon Rondo.

Dangling the fifth-year sweetener with an above-market annual salary was the most efficient way to render Holiday's foray onto market a non-issue. That's fine. Again, the Pelicans had no other choice. But now they're left to reconcile the iffy end result: paying Holiday like a top-seven point guard to cede touches and status to a pair of bigger names

The good&The bad

Worst Contract in Pelicans/ Hornets History | Pelicans Report

Will we get our money's worth? Will we stay healthy? Did we do enough to get in the playoffs? Time will tell.

And if Dell has trades up his sleeve. How did this rumor start?

https://twitter.com/i/moments/887016810138259457

Credit TBW for shooting it down.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Oh, hello. It&#39;s another story about the Celtics wanting Anthony Davis. <a href="https://t.co/FqoqBHUGQK">https://t.co/FqoqBHUGQK</a></p>&mdash; Scott Kushner (@ScottDKushner) <a href="https://twitter.com/ScottDKushner/status/887012842238607361">July 17, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

You're right, we should have mortgaged everything for Chris Paul who is always healthy and has so many deep playoff runs...

For real, I feel like so many fans just expect that every team can just go out and grab an All-NBA talent player. Its not the case in the current NBA and we went out and got an experienced player who day one can have an impact for what is very likely close to $4 million a year and people still don't think we have done anything. Demps pulled off an amazing trade last season to grab a top 15 player to pair with our once in a lifetime talent, retained our third best player so we didn't take a step back and grabbed a veteran PG who has a lot of experience. All for a team that was ranked top 10 at the end of last season after Cousins got here. Is this team perfect, no, but lets stop acting like they are the Knicks.

I mean... Everything you said is true

Don't think I said that. So Dell Demps got one signing right that could leave in the offseason in 8 years? Is that impressive. Yet OKC was the one that pulled off the trade for Paul George. T-Wolves just moved into playoff position. What a shock at who made this list.5 Worst NBA Contracts at Every Position | Bleacher Report

The good&The bad

Worst Contract in Pelicans/ Hornets History | Pelicans Report

Will we get our money's worth? Will we stay healthy? Did we do enough to get in the playoffs? Time will tell.

You didn't say that but it appears you will only be happy if the Pelicans somehow grab another top 15 player. Not every team is Golden State. OKC had 1 top 15 player and just traded solid young players for a second, something the Pelicans did during last season. Also, yes, OKC just traded for PG but they also the season before lost the cornerstone of their team because he felt that they couldn't get solid talent around him and the let players walk that he liked. And that is a team who is the main and only pro sport franchise in their city. New Orleans will most likely never be a basketball first town and will always play second to the Saints. Making it even harder in a small market.

Do I think Demps is a great GM, no. Do I think he is an awful GM who should be fired, no. I think he is a good GM who rolls the dice on mid level players who are boom or bust, yes. I also think he has felt pressured to keep players he shouldn't have kept because of desire of the fan base or ownership to not let guys walk for perception, not because of what they do for the team. Unfortunately in the NBA, you are dealing with the perception and history of the teams and cities they are in. Demps is the GM of a team with no real history in a very small market. Most NBA free agents don't want to be in type of places. Hopefully with the pairing of AD and Boogie that can change.

The best move he made last year was to let Ryan Anderson walk. It seems he is finally learning some lessons. You may not like Holiday on that deal, but I will say that if Holiday was here to start last season we were a playoff team. If we don't resign Holiday, this year we take a major step back and then Boogie is guaranteed to walk. We aren't building to win a ring this year, very few teams are right now due to Golden State. We are building to become a competitive team who will be ready in 2-3 seasons to win a ring after some solid playoff runs. BTW, last year Holiday was the #8 assist man while Rondo was #11 and we went and paired that with the best front court in basketball.

Competent ball handler with size and lenght,, good click with boogie..makes sense on paper on multiple phases

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom