Rams filing suit against Patriots! (1 Viewer)

The Rams didn't reach the redzone until the 4th quater. The plays alleged to be taped were goalline plays. The Patriots dominated the Rams and it had nothing to do with any tape.

You can't rewrite sports history, no matter what may or may not have happened. Its a slippery slope the NFL or any league, including the MLB and steroids, doesn't need to go down.

Thank you. If the Lambs were a better team, all the videotape in the world would not have helped the Patsies.

The better team doesn't always win. You really think that the Giants were better than the Patriots or just the hotter team that particular game?

Don't get me wrong, I think this is all pretty ridiculous, but in football, since a lot more of the game depends on random chance and momentum than we probably realize, having an advantage that your opponent doesn't have can mean the difference in say, a game winning FG.

I don't see how the videotaping helped them win. Even Dan Rooney of the Steelers said that he doesn't think the videotaping of the Steelers helped the Patriots in anyway. It's a case of sore losers wanting to pound their chests again about how they were "cheated". You lost the Super Bowl. You should have dealt with it years ago, get over it!
Mike Martz scripts his first 15 plays of the game. He uses the results from those first 15 plays to adapt his game plan the rest of the game.

The Pats taped the WALK-THROUGH practice immediately prior to the game. Now in the WALK -THROUGH, don't you think they would be WALKING -THROUGH their first 15 scripted plays? Do you remember the SB in question? The Rams were HUGE favorites. They had the most explosive offense ever seen in the NFL. They came out and promptly fell FLAT! Every play they ran, the Pats were immediately on top of. One of the Pundits said at the time, "It was as if the Patriots knew what plays were coming." And GASP! Considering they taped the WALK-THROUGH of the first 15 plays, THEY DID!!!

Now do I think any of this changes history? No. It happened. It is over. Done with. Time to move on. No lawsuit will change anything. If it makes the Rams feel better, know in their heart of hearts that the Pats cheated and did not deserve to win.

Mike Martz scripts his first 15 plays of the game. He uses the results from those first 15 plays to adapt his game plan the rest of the game.

The Pats taped the WALK-THROUGH practice immediately prior to the game. Now in the WALK -THROUGH, don't you think they would be WALKING -THROUGH their first 15 scripted plays? Do you remember the SB in question? The Rams were HUGE favorites. They had the most explosive offense ever seen in the NFL. They came out and promptly fell FLAT! Every play they ran, the Pats were immediately on top of. One of the Pundits said at the time, "It was as if the Patriots knew what plays were coming." And GASP! Considering they taped the WALK-THROUGH of the first 15 plays, THEY DID!!!

Now do I think any of this changes history? No. It happened. It is over. Done with. Time to move on. No lawsuit will change anything. If it makes the Rams feel better, know in their heart of hearts that the Pats cheated and did not deserve to win.

The alleged taping was of redzone plays, not his first 15 scripted plays or anything like that. The Pats dominated the Rams and St. Louis didn't even reach the redzone until the 4th quater.

The alleged taping was of redzone plays, not his first 15 scripted plays or anything like that. The Pats dominated the Rams and St. Louis didn't even reach the redzone until the 4th quater.

And how do you know that those plays practiced were all red zone plays? If there is a tape showing that indeed the Pats knew in advance what the Rams were trying to do, it will clearly show on gameday! All they have to do is look at the tape, and compare the plays practiced on Saturday with the plays the Rams used in the game.......if those plays were unsuccessful on gameday, a conclusion could be made that the reason those plays went bad, was b/c the Pats knew exactly what the Rams were trying to do....

The other thing is that the lawyer who asked for immunity said that he has more than one tape, saying that he "won't release the tapes" which implies more than one tape.

And how do you know that those plays practiced were all red zone plays? If there is a tape showing that indeed the Pats knew in advance what the Rams were trying to do, it will clearly show on gameday! All they have to do is look at the tape, and compare the plays practiced on Saturday with the plays the Rams used in the game.......if those plays were unsuccessful on gameday, a conclusion could be made that the reason those plays went bad, was b/c the Pats knew exactly what the Rams were trying to do....

The other thing is that the lawyer who asked for immunity said that he has more than one tape, saying that he "won't release the tapes" which implies more than one tape.

How do I know? Because thats what the Rams and league said may of been filmed, and thats what the guy who filmed it said it was?

How do I know? Because thats what the Rams and league said may of been filmed, and thats what the guy who filmed it said it was?

The guy said that? I heard he won't talk without immunity!

Maybe he changed his mind......

The guy said that? I heard he won't talk without immunity!

Maybe he changed his mind......

He said he has tapes of their redzone walkthrough. Thats all he is saying. I'm sure he won't say more or hand over evidence until he can make some kind of deal. The league says its known about this and it was redzone plays.

I don't even know if the rules that were violated were even in place at the time. I think the rule the Pats broke this year was established in 2006.

He said he has tapes of their redzone walkthrough. Thats all he is saying. I'm sure he won't say more or hand over evidence until he can make some kind of deal. The league says its known about this and it was redzone plays.

I don't even know if the rules that were violated were even in place at the time. I think the rule the Pats broke this year was established in 2006.

What rules?? taping the walkthrough? Is that allowed by the opposing team?

To me the taping of signals are nothing but a nuissance.....but taping the walkthrough flies against any rule of fair play!

Watching the walkthrough and making notes of it isn't illegal. How is that different from taping advantage-wise?

Bill Belicheck claims he didn't think he was cheating, but clearly the league thinks otherwise. He is a coach that looks for every single advantage. Does it help? Yea it probably helps a tiny bit. So what? However coaches and their play-calling are easily analyzed throughout the season. You can see their trends. You know the odds that they will call certain plays at certain situations. Watching some practice tape will only tell you so much more than what you've seen from them the entire year. You think the team brought in brand new players? or they mutated their players into having different styles of players? After unlimited hours of studying and analyzing your opponent from an entire season of work (and perhaps prior seasons too of learning the coaches and their styles.) How much is left to the unknown? It's not like they are coming up with something incredibly new or unique. Every playbook is about the same, just slight variations of each other. Shoot with free agency and players switching team all the time, you think those players just forget the former playbooks? This is a silly lawsuit. Penalties go uncalled in games, placement of the football often get bad spots, and a million other factors happen. Football isn't a perfect sport. Champions find a way to win.

Finally, this lawsuit is especially silly, because you don't think the other teams cheated any? What do you think the odds are that none of their players were on steroids or they didn't do one single thing to give them a competitive advantage that was considered illegal?

If they want, they should just go make their fake super bowl championship rings like USC, and throw a parade like awbarn, and then try to schedule a trip to disney world and the white house to meet the president. Whatever makes them feel better. Just shut up about it. Why tie up our courts and our tax dollars over something so stupid? We already have enough stupidity over people suing for dry cleaning and spilled coffee. We don't need to add sports into it too. Should we now go sue Awbarn for the chop block on Dorsey? Should every Clemens victory now be debated in a court of law?

Honestly? Letter of the law only.
Exactly. Anyone with access to the stadium can simply walk up and watch walkthroughs. Any "secrets" better have been installed Tuesday through Thursday and in the case of the Superbowl, that's the previous Tuesday and Thursday. Walkthroughs are simply going through the motions of your basics. Snap counts, blocking technique, etc. Repeat something enough and it becomes instinct and not a pre-thought out action. It's simply repetition of the basics.

It doesn't take a lot of time or resources to send an underling to watch a pre-game walkthrough to see if you can gain some insight into their game plan. Pre-game walkthoughs are nothing secretive as they are held out in the open. Any NFL player or coach will tell you this.

Regardless of what you think about the importance (or lack of) regarding pregame walk-throughs etc. Why is it against the rules and why has Belichick done it for so many years if it doesn't give an advantage? I trust the league and Belichick's opinion of its importance more than anyone else's. What I don't trust is Belichick's assertion that he thought it was legal. The NFL made it crystal clear to the teams that it was not.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom