Rams hire new DL coach. Bill Johnson out? (1 Viewer)

Didn’t some of our players make comments to the effect that our new d line coach taught them far more than Johnson’s ever did?

Didn’t some of our players make comments to the effect that our new d line coach taught them far more than Johnson’s ever did?
Yes. Like Joe Vitt, he was one of those guys that seemed to underachieve for us. Between him and Vitt their units never seemed to reach their potential. We got rid of them and hired Nielsen & Nolan and our defense is performing much better. I know the talent level is better, but coaching has to have alot to do with it!

Coaching makes a tremendous difference in the NFL. Players don't reach the NFL unless they have exceptional talent. Once they get there, it's up to their coaches and their work ethic to make the difference between talent and results.

There was an Advocate article last year about how our guys never practiced pass rushing in practice under Johnson. The guys basically had to teach one another how to rush the passer at the NFL level. I guarantee you Johnson was just coasting off of Aaron Donald's talent the last two years.

Yes. Like Joe Vitt, he was one of those guys that seemed to underachieve for us. Between him and Vitt their units never seemed to reach their potential. We got rid of them and hired Nielsen & Nolan and our defense is performing much better. I know the talent level is better, but coaching has to have alot to do with it!

I always felt Vitt’s 2006-09 squads over achieved. Other than Vilma, he made some little known names perform at a consistently high level.

Last edited:
Ugh... Got better. Outside of Donald. The Dline largely was underwhelming. Their edge rushers where nonexistent.

I always felt Vitt’s 2006-09 squads over achieved. Other than Vilma, he made some little known names perform at a consistently high
I can agree somewhat with that. Though Shanle & Fujita weren't the most physically gifted, they were very smart guys who were usually in good positions to make plays. One could argue that was because of coaching that they knew where to be.

I always thought he looked like Stephan Root..Especially with some of those sideline freak outs..
1550940798319.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom