Rams owner....this is horrible (1 Viewer)

If you have nothing then the good news is your moving expenses should be really cheap.

Signed,
Stan Kroenke

Sadly, this will likely have little impact on this man. In the world of billionaire business -- cases like this are nothing but collateral damage.

Texas man's suicide note blames Rams owner Stan Kroenke - CBSSports.com

This is really sticking with me.

It is absolutely horrendous and sickening.

I hope the Rams never win another game as long as he's there.

And I'm not a real estate lawyer, but can people really just strong arm you off of land that you own?

They don't own the land. The lake is owned by the county, but the land is a part of the Waggoner Estate, and was leased to the residents. It is completely within his legal right to make them move. It doesn't, however, make it any less crappy of an action on his part.

So Kronke buys the property in February, and makes the statement that he is "...deeply committed to continuing the proud legacy of W.T. “Tom” Waggoner, his family and his descendants."

He then sends out notices in August that the leases will not be renewed, and the property must be vacated by January 31st, 2017, giving the residents less than six months, including the holiday season, to figure out where to go.

What an absolute piece of human garbage.

The Waggoner family, which had established the sprawling ranch 164 years ago, had offered leases on lakefront property on the north end of the lake. Over the years, some of those properties became permanent homes. When Kroenke purchased the ranch in February, he issued a statement saying he was “… deeply committed to continuing the proud legacy of W.T. “Tom” Waggoner, his family and his descendants.

Kroenke's estate forcing out North Texas lake residents

And let us not forget:

On Tuesday Bloomberg reported that Rams owner Stan Kroenke had completed the deal to buy a 520,000-acre ranch in Texas. The terms of the deal were not disclosed, but the ranch had an asking price of $725 million.

This is doable, of course, for Kroenke, who is worth an estimated $6.2 billion.

But this purchase is also a stark reminder of how dirty Kroenke is doing the city of St. Louis. The city still has $36 million remaining on a loan it took out to finance a new stadium for Kroenke, one the Rams will no longer be playing in because Kroenke is moving the team to Los Angeles.

Let’s say Kroenke negotiated the price of the ranch down to, I don’t know, $500 million. Heck, say he got it at a bargain basement $360 million, half the asking price. That’s still ten times what it would cost to pay off the city of St. Louis and help them deal with a tax bill for a stadium that no longer has any practical use.

Rams owner buys $725 million ranch, continues to laugh in the faces of the people of St. Louis

It's a no win for anyone. Suicide is such a tough thing to deal with. On one hand, I feel like it's the most selfish act there is, especially when you have a spouse or kids. On the other, there are serious mental issues that lead to someone taking their own life. Just a bad situation all around. I hope his family and friends can come to peace with the situation.

If these people were homeowners, they would have to be compensated for their land/home value. So they must be renting if they are being evicted.

If you rent, isn't there always a possibility that you might need to move one day? You don't own the right to rent there forever just because you've been living there.

Also seems like a real ****** spot to put his wife in (leaving her to deal with the mess).

According to a link in that article:
Lake Diversion residents

other residents that received the letter were living in mobile homes. They don't own the land and if their home is mobile, that would make the move even easier.

I've been thrown out of a home I had moved into after 2 months because the landowner sold the home. It was apparently on the market without my knowledge.

It sucked but I had to move.

Maybe I'm a little biased because I've had a suicide in my family. I absolutely have compassion for the individual but it is an incredibly selfish act that leaves your loved ones in shambles.

Life sucks and **** happens. You don't go commit suicide because someone purchased the land you are renting and doesn't want people living on his new land.

I have compassion for the people that have to move but I don't see how the Ram's owner is responsible for it.

Just my opinion.

It's a crappy thing to do to people. Maybe give them something like 5 years to get off the land if you are determined to make them move.

That said, suicide is never caused by external forces. There is something inside of a person that allows them to even consider suicide as an option. It's a mental health issue. The Rams owner didn't cause it.

Texas man's suicide note blames Rams owner Stan Kroenke - CBSSports.com

This is really sticking with me.

It is absolutely horrendous and sickening.

I hope the Rams never win another game as long as he's there.

And I'm not a real estate lawyer, but can people really just strong arm you off of land that you own?

He didn't own the land - he leased it. That's the whole point of all of this.

Anytime you are leasing property, you don't own it . . . someone else does. And it is fully within that person's right to decide to sell the property to a new buyer. In most states, the new buyer is not obligated to honor the existing leases, which are contracts between the old owner and the lessee. Some states (Louisiana for instance) have a process that allows the lessee to register the lease against the property that would require the new owner to honor it through the end of its term. But the new owner is never obliged to renew the lease.

It sounds like in this case, the buyer (Rams owner) provided notice in August that the lessees would terminate as of January 31, 2017. In other words, he gave them approximately five months to find alternative residence. And the reason he gave (though he didn't have to give a reason) was that he wanted to return the land to a natural setting to improve the ecosystem around the lake.

Obviously these things are never easy. But when you're a renter, you can't just expect that the contractual arrangement you have will be honored forever. It's unfortunate that this guy took it so hard and chose to end his life.

But I fail to see what's so vile about the Rams owner's actions. He bought property that was for sale and then he gave fair notice to the existing tenants. That happens every day in America.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom