Rams pick up Titus Young (1 Viewer)

whodatdb

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
The Rams have a glaring need for a speed receiver, and have some recent success with guys with character issues.
So with the risk minimal and the possible reward high, they claimed former Lions wideout Titus Young off waivers Tuesday, according to Jason LaCanfora of CBSSports.com.
Young was such a headache the Lions gave up on him, but the Rams got a huge benefit from rookie cornerback Janoris Jenkins, who many teams were afraid to touch.
Jeff Fisher has the kind of credibility he might be able to pull it off in most cases, but Young has shown signs of not listening to anyone, and the fact he recently said he was better than Calvin Johnson indicates he might have a better grip on the ball than reality.
But for less than $800,000 in total compensation for the year (including his $555,000 base salary), the financial exposure is limited.

Rams take a chance on Titus Young | ProFootballTalk

First they pick up Finnegan and now Young. Fisher does not seem to care much about character concerns.

he's still on his rookie contract so it's not like it's going to be a big deal if they end up having to cut him

good move, he should know Titus pretty well, coming from an ex coach of his, I'm sure he got all the inside dirt. low cost, nice move

Cant hurt. He acts up, cut him. You lose a couple thousand bucks.

Good move! Fisher knows what he is doing! Fisher is known for doing good with crap talent anways.! I think titus will flourish in St Louis.

how fisher has maintained this classy rep is crazy.... pac man, haynesworth, britt, jenkins, this guy.... hell, gregg williams....

E.C. Robinson, Young's high school coach, said Young came to his house on Christmas and the two talked about his problems with the Lions.

"He did tell me he thought he was just as good Megatron," Robinson recalled late last month. "I said, 'Titus, come on.' I said, 'Come on, man. Who you talking to?' I said, 'Come on, you're as good as that guy? This guy is the real deal.' And he really believes this. And he was sincere about it. 'Ah man, I'm better than him.' I said, 'No, you're not. Be real, man. Come on.' So I don't know, I'm hoping for the best for him."

Now ex-Lions WR Titus Young said he's 'just as good' as Calvin Johnson

Hindsight is always 20-20, but it seems clear Mayhew underestimated the character issues that all teams were aware of prior to the 2011 draft. Young had been suspended in 2008 for behavior issues, and it wasn't difficult to find an NFL personnel man who privately expressed concern about his personality quirks.

Young's implosion included acts of violence and insubordination that you don't often see, even in a rough-and-tumble industry. His primary and known offenses -- sucker punching safety Louis Delmas last spring and reportedly lining up in the wrong position intentionally last December -- are not just examples of immaturity. They are signs of a troubled soul who isn't equipped at this point in his life to function in the NFL's high-pressure world.

Titus Young and Lions: Such a waste - NFC North Blog - ESPN

He's a headcase. Talented player but for a player who has done absolutely nothing in his career, it's a bit disturbing that he would have such an ego at this stage.

Can't say it's not an upgrade. They still desperately need a good #1, though.

It's funny how we talk about about a few hundred thousand dollars being no big deal in the NFL (which is true) but what a difference it would make for most of us.

Oh no doubt. Crazy aint it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I think its worth the gamble for the Rams. Worse case scenario, they cut him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom