Randall Cunningham (1 Viewer)

For the old school gamers...the original Maddens only had a handful of the NFL teams (Saints were not one of those lucky few.) So my friend and I would always choose the Eagles vs. the Oilers. That way we could run with Cunningham or Moon.

Yeah, that Eagles D line was no joke then either. It was a stacked team.

I worked with a guy that played college football and was good friends with Clyde Simmons. I think in 1991 Cunningham got hurt, he said Simmons told him at a players only meeting Reggie White said "Randall's hurt and won't be back for a while, so we can't let the other team score".....no one laughed....he said White was the most intense player he had ever been around and it kind of raised everyone's play on the line....

I worked with a guy that played college football and was good friends with Clyde Simmons. I think in 1991 Cunningham got hurt, he said Simmons told him at a players only meeting Reggie White said "Randall's hurt and won't be back for a while, so we can't let the other team score".....no one laughed....he said White was the most intense player he had ever been around and it kind of raised everyone's play on the line....
Absolutely believe it coming from the minister of defense. You cannot underestimate how seismic it was when he decided to go from powerhouse Philadelphia to the sadsack Pack, in free agency's first stanza. He remade Green Bay's fortunes overnight.

Absolutely believe it coming from the minister of defense. You cannot underestimate how seismic it was when he decided to go from powerhouse Philadelphia to the sadsack Pack, in free agency's first stanza. He remade Green Bay's fortunes overnight.

Yup, the dude was a total religious kook, but he was the best defensive lineman in history IMO.....

Better than Bruce Smith?

Bruce Smith is not even in the same category.....he was a one trick pony the last half of his career, focusing on mainly getting sacks, he wasn't very good against the run and was strictly a DE.....

Reggie White (at almost 300lbs) was an athletic freak of nature that you could play anywhere on the defensive line. He could play DT or DE equally well, was devastating as a run defender or pass rusher and I believe he even played NT for a spell with the Eagles....There has never been another like him, JJ Watt is probably the closest but not at the same level IMO....

Bruce Smith is not even in the same category.....he was a one trick pony the last half of his career, focusing on mainly getting sacks, he wasn't very good against the run and was strictly a DE.....

Reggie White (at almost 300lbs) was an athletic freak of nature that you could play anywhere on the defensive line. He could play DT or DE equally well, was devastating as a run defender or pass rusher and I believe he even played NT for a spell with the Eagles....There has never been another like him, JJ Watt is probably the closest but not at the same level IMO....
That one trick pony had 200 sacks. Also, to quote Bruce Lee, "I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who had practiced one kick 10,000 times".

That one trick pony had 200 sacks. Also, to quote Bruce Lee, "I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who had practiced one kick 10,000 times".

I'm not saying he wasn't a great pass rusher, I mean clearly he was one of the best ever.....BUT, he was not the dynamic monster that Reggie White was (no one was or is), they were different players....line up Bruce Smith at DT or NT? Not a chance.....

I'm not saying he wasn't a great pass rusher, I mean clearly he was one of the best ever.....BUT, he was not the dynamic monster that Reggie White was (no one was or is), they were different players....line up Bruce Smith at DT or NT? Not a chance.....
Just because someone can line up in more than one position doesn't automatically make them better.

Just because someone can line up in more than one position doesn't automatically make them better.

Ok.....does it make them more valuable if they play at an all Pro level at both DT and DE? Also, Bruce Smith had 200 sacks, Reggie White had 198 in 46 fewer games.....I mean of course you are entitled to your own opinion on who is better (or valuable if you're into the whole brevity thing), but I think the evidence is pretty clear....

Ok.....does it make them more valuable if they play at an all Pro level at both DT and DE? Also, Bruce Smith had 200 sacks, Reggie White had 198 in 46 fewer games.....I mean of course you are entitled to your own opinion on who is better (or valuable if you're into the whole brevity thing), but I think the evidence is pretty clear....
I didn't realize that Reggie was that close. I'd have to go with him then.

Reggie White turned momentum in a Super Bowl on one drive by dominating the Patriots RT and could of easily been MVP

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom