Randall Gay likes the Saints and want to be a Saint (1 Viewer)

I wonder why this is even news. What FA would visit and then say: That place sucked and I hated everyone?

Kyle Turley and that's probably it.

Ummm. Didn't Ismael just say this on NFL live?

if we miss on lito I think we will sign aaron glen and randall Gay, but we might just do this anyway.

The Eagles are working a trade Sheppard for Fitzgerald so unless we're will to ship them a top WR we won't be getting him. Since we only have one topflight receiver I doubt it......

J. Reeves signed with the Texans for 5yrs $20 million, so we know what he may be looking for........

A little too rich of a contract for a nickle guy. Gay is not starting material. He is depth. It doesn't matter who we have or not have in our roster.

It seems to me that we are filling the position with a bunch of nickle guys and no starters besides McKenzie. Free agency was not the way to go, Samuel and Florence were the only starters. So I prefer to wait to the draft.

A little too rich of a contract for a nickle guy. Gay is not starting material. He is depth. It doesn't matter who we have or not have in our roster.

It seems to me that we are filling the position with a bunch of nickle guys and no starters besides McKenzie. Free agency was not the way to go, Samuel and Florence were the only starters. So I prefer to wait to the draft.

I agree with you, but what everyone has to realize is that even good rookie db's are usually a couple years, or more, away from becoming a nickel CB, so this doesn't fill immediate needs. That being said, even if we sign Gay, our starting 3 are, Craft, Young and David.

-- Randall Gay Update --
Sun Mar 2, 2008 --from FFMastermind.com

The Boton Globe reports free-agent CB Randall Gay has completed his visit with the Saints Saturday and the sides are expected to exchange contract proposals tonight. Gay is scheduled to visit the Buccaneers on Monday. Meanwhile, the Patriots and Jets remain in contact with Gay's representatives, as they are still actively involved in the process

Sounds like we should know for sure by tomorrow...............................................

This was a question for KC Joyner on ESPN

Q: Am I crazy to think that Randall Gay will end up being the better deal coming out of the New England defensive backfield?

KC: You are not crazy. Gay had a 5.7 YPA last year if memory serves me correct. I am betting that is one of the reasons NE isn't making much of play for Samuel. They know if they keep Gay they will be in just about as good as shape at the starting spot and only need to find a nickel CB.

I'm just saying......he has to be better than Jason David

Exactly....we have alot of cap room....alot of teams do....but FA doesnt reflect that, there are no guys to spend it on (well not enough guys) and the money these guys are asking for does not match the way they are viewed by GM's around the league, its smart of Loomis and Co. to keep with "market value" and not over spend just to get a guy to play for you, even if you know he is only a Nickle corner in your eyes.....

Jason David, Jason Craft, Usama Young, Mike McKenzie....now we signed David last year and the jury is still out on him...but we know he isnt gonna get cut and will contribute this year, so that spot is taken.

Usama Young is the future, from the game she played in you could see his cover skills needed work, but he could still cover, he is good against the run (willing) and has the size and speed that teams covet...i'ma go out on a lime and say he starts at one of the corner spots next year.

Jason Craft is a veteran that can still help this team, he can fill in and start of man down the nickel and dime spot.

Mike McKenzie, is coming off a knee injury and things have said to be going pretty well for him, his injury happend toward the end of the year, so though his knee may be ok, he still has to go through the process of strenghtenig it and thats were the "rehab" process come in, though he will be healed by training camp I dont think he will be able to compete until the season actually starts (PUP)

We will be drafting a corner in this years draft because like DT it needs more youth and speed in its unit and if you look at the players available you see we only have 4 guys...so that right there tell you that Corner is a need...not just getting guys to fill the depth chart, but getting guy(s) who can come in and compete, so I look for us to take a corner early...and I think Justin King from Penn State could be a good pickup (2nd, 3rd round) because I think we get Balmer in the 1st to team with Young and Thomas so they can help Vilma make plays.

Ummm. Didn't Ismael just say this on NFL live?

I think it had everything to do with Ditka. Kevin Mawae said he was all set to sign here, but DItka was more concerned with his tee time than talking football, or convincing him that this was the place to be. He signed with the Jets the next day I believe. The visit still couldn't have been that bad for Quadry Ismail, because he still signed here.

Gay is a Great nickle back, and an acceptable starter..

He plays better man coverage than David showed me since he has been saint.

Gay is from Baton Rouge and it would be a dream for him (from what I understand) to play for the saints and be close to his family.

If we give gay a 5yrs $20 million kinda contract, he will be expected to start.

So the front office is damned if they do, and damned if they dont,

We sign him and everone will complain that we fixed a gaping hole with a band aid and why didn't we go get sammuel, and if they dont sign him it will be more why haven't we signed anyone yet....

this bit is getting old...

we will not sign gay, unless we anticipate him starting next season.

We gave Jason David 4 years 15.6 million. With Reeves signing for about 4 million a year its very unlikely Randall Gay would sign for much less (even with a hometown discount). I just can't see spending that kind of money on a nickle guy (especially seeing that we have about that invested in another nickle corner in David).

Personally, I would rather see another corner or two brought in on draft day. I think a guy like DRC has so much more upside than a nickle/dime guy like Gay. IMHO, if Gay wants that type of contract let him move on, he isn't worth it.

So Gay will possibly be our big free agent splash. The fruit of our "aggressive approach" to fixing our defense? No wonder we're picking 10th.

I bet you are a ton of laughs to go out and have a beer with...........

I like Gay, and I think he can start. But let's not get our hopes up over this quote.

Drayton Florence said he wanted to be a Lion, and then signed with the Jaguars.

Gay is a Great nickle back, and an acceptable starter..

He plays better man coverage than David showed me since he has been saint.

Gay is from Baton Rouge and it would be a dream for him (from what I understand) to play for the saints and be close to his family.

If we give gay a 5yrs $20 million kinda contract, he will be expected to start.

So the front office is damned if they do, and damned if they dont,

We sign him and everone will complain that we fixed a gaping hole with a band aid and why didn't we go get sammuel, and if they dont sign him it will be more why haven't we signed anyone yet....

this bit is getting old...

we will not sign gay, unless we anticipate him starting next season.

Amen bro... good post

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom