Random 2020 Prospects that I like. (1 Viewer)

If Hill is truly the heir apparent then the probability of us drafting either Hurts or Khalil Tate is sky high
Tate is as athletic as Justin Herbert.

His draft standing is strong enough to stand on it's own Merit apart from Taysom Hill.

He might cut it as the next 4th rd superstar like Dak Prescott.

Mason Fine
Tommy Stevens
Jalen Hurts

Are other athletic Qbs who fit the bill like Tate.

I was messing around with Mock Drafts and couldn't land a WR as the bpa. In the 4th round I came across K.J. Hamler.

This guy is a fire cracker that Payton would enjoy scheming up in the slot and gadget plays. He separates on quick routes and is electric with his YAC. Just undersized.

Hamler is more of a Joe Morgan or Devery Henderson 3rd wr type than a true #2.

He also isn't much of a tackle-breaker as opposed to a pure burner.

Ruggs
Hamler
Killins
Reagor
Calet

Will all be in contention for the fastest player in the draft.

My money is on Killins.

Hamler is more of a Joe Morgan or Devery Henderson 3rd wr type than a true #2.

He also isn't much of a tackle-breaker as opposed to a pure burner.

Ruggs
Hamler
Killins
Reagor
Calet

Will all be in contention for the fastest player in the draft.

Your right. He isn't breaking through tackles. He has some juke though. More than say what Brandin Cooks would do. Give him space and he'll take an angle.

I see him as a slot guy that can get separation. Sweeps and some gadgets also. I'm not really looking at him down the field as much. Mainly a 4th round guy that can carve a useful role that the offense needs. Give us some 1st downs with separation.

Your right. He isn't breaking through tackles. He has some juke though. More than say what Brandin Cooks would do. Give him space and he'll take an angle.

I see him as a slot guy that can get separation. Sweeps and some gadgets also. I'm not really looking at him down the field as much. Mainly a 4th round guy that can carve a useful role that the offense needs. Give us some 1st downs with separation.
The major concern with KJ Hamler are his hands, concentration at catch point. 12 drops on 68 catchable targets in 2019.

I feel pretty confident Hamler probably isn't even on the Saints board because he measures at 5'9, 176 lbs... Payton almost never goes for receivers under 6 foot, with that slight of a frame unless they offer special teams value with return ability because they are usually liabilities in blocking; and we already have our return guy,

I honestly think the Saints already have a better version of Hamler on the roster... and that's Deonte Harris.. he just needs to be incorporated into the Offense more.

The major concern with KJ Hamler are his hands, concentration at catch point. 12 drops on 68 catchable targets in 2019.

I feel pretty confident Hamler probably isn't even on the Saints board because he measures at 5'9, 176 lbs... Payton almost never goes for receivers under 6 foot, with that slight of a frame unless they offer special teams value with return ability because they are usually liabilities in blocking; and we already have our return guy,

I honestly think the Saints already have a better version of Hamler on the roster... and that's Deonte Harris.. he just needs to be incorporated into the Offense more.
Credit to Bleedit1960 here but Hasise Dubois might be a real sleeper.

He finished 2019 with over 1000 yards and 75 catches.

Jalen Hurts is by far the most underrated prospect in the draft. The disrespect he’s getting is mind-boggling. But it does give us a great chance to draft him so I can’t be too mad

And if we end up trading AK, Shenault would be the perfect replacement. They’re practically the same exact player. I hope he doesn’t run a 4.35
This is why I think that he runs a 4.3

Shenault can do all of that and get physical, break tackles/provide YAC.

Observe:

I get the Harris comparison. What I haven't seen him do is separate on short routes. Maybe he can, but at this point Harris is limited to the gadget only aspect. I'd need to see it to believe he can be a slot receiver that can get 1st downs.

Yeah, Shenault is one of my favorite WRs. You're comparing a 1st round guy to a 4th round guy.
If we take Shenault 1st then there is little need of a 4th rd wr.

If they took one in the 4th then I would prefer a guy like Aaron Parker or Benjimen Victor with a bit more size.

If we take Shenault 1st then there is little need of a 4th rd wr.

If they took one in the 4th then I would prefer a guy like Aaron Parker or Benjimen Victor with a bit more size.

My spill on him was because I couldn't land good value at WR in the 1st or 3rd in a mock draft. The position just wasn't close to bpa. (Shenault was long gone)

You're going to struggle to find anyone that has those two guys close to Hamler.

Last edited:
I get the Harris comparison. What I haven't seen him do is separate on short routes. Maybe he can, but at this point Harris is limited to the gadget only aspect. I'd need to see it to believe he can be a slot receiver that can get 1st downs.
I think if Harris will be incorporated into the Offense more, it will be as more of a gadget player, on jet sweeps, reverses, trick play double moves down the field. I don't think we've seen the short area work from him yet, because year 1 there was already enough on his plate to learn as a Return man; if there's a bigger role Offensively for him the nuanced route running is something he will work on this Off-season. We'll see in camp, none the less he's not going to be the true Slot solution in Year 2.

Upgrading and finding a True Slot option is a pretty big priority none the less (at least in my opinion and many others) but the best fit for the Saints for the Slot outside of the premier guys like Laviska, or Ruggs who I don't feel we will be in range for unless we move up in the draft are: Either Justin or Van Jefferson, high football IQs, strong football coaching bloodlines, highly productive college careers with nuanced route running, KJ Hill from Ohio State exceptional quick in his releases. Jalen Reagor elite separation ability, Tyler Johnson

To me Hamler is very scheme specific, he projects as a Slot only guy and he obviously has Long speed . He is comparable to Mecole Hartman. I think he needs to go to a team like Kansas City, Philadelphia, Tampa, Buffalo where they can space things out, and have systems where they consistently go deep down the field. I don't think he fits in with the Saints because he has very limited YAC ability, and he doesn't fare well in contested catch situations.

I think the Slot guy in Sean Payton's Offense has to be able to win through contact in traffic, with all shallow and Intermediate Crossers, and slants right into the middle of the Defense that are run.

I think if Harris will be incorporated into the Offense more, it will be as more of a gadget player, on jet sweeps, reverses, trick play double moves down the field. I don't think we've seen the short area work from him yet, because year 1 there was already enough on his plate to learn as a Return man; if there's a bigger role Offensively for him the nuanced route running is something he will work on this Off-season. We'll see in camp, none the less he's not going to be the true Slot solution in Year 2.

Upgrading and finding a True Slot option is a pretty big priority none the less (at least in my opinion and many others) but the best fit for the Saints for the Slot outside of the premier guys like Laviska, or Ruggs who I don't feel we will be in range for unless we move up in the draft are: Either Justin or Van Jefferson, high football IQs, strong football coaching bloodlines, highly productive college careers with nuanced route running, KJ Hill from Ohio State exceptional quick in his releases. Jalen Reagor elite separation ability, Tyler Johnson

To me Hamler is very scheme specific, he projects as a Slot only guy and he obviously has Long speed . He is comparable to Mecole Hartman. I think he needs to go to a team like Kansas City, Philadelphia, Tampa, Buffalo where they can space things out, and have systems where they consistently go deep down the field. I don't think he fits in with the Saints because he has very limited YAC ability, and doesn't and he doesn't fare well in contested catch situations.

I think the Slot guy in Sean Payton's Offense has to be able to win through contact in traffic, with all shallow and Intermediate Crossers, and slants right into the middle of the Defense that are run.

I don't think he's a great deep threat really. I'm sure he has a good double move, and he has speed, but I don't like how he catches the ball deep. What I like is his separation out of breaks. Run to the line of scrimmage and break in or out, curls, slants. I think he can win on those by creating space with quickness. If he has space when he catches it he knows how to use it to take off.

I don't think he's a great deep threat really. I'm sure he has a good double move, and he has speed, but I don't like how he catches the ball deep. What I like is his separation out of breaks. Run to the line of scrimmage and break in or out, curls, slants. I think he can win on those by creating space with quickness. If he has space when he catches it he knows how to use it to take off.
That's the big concern with the few games I've gone over on tape on him, he lets the ball get into his frame too much instead of extending for it and plucking it out of the air; and tends to cradle the ball into his body on longer throws.

You are going to have to get really creative to incorporate him into your play calling because I just see the physical NFL Slot Defenders just man-handling him at the Line against press man coverage; So his OC playcaller will have to get by with hiding him behind Stack receiver alignments, and motioning him into open space pre-snap.

I agree that he has some really great separation ability if you play off of him and give him space. He'll just eat up that space you give him FAST. I just can't seem to find a fit for him with the Saints with how much Payton/Brees rely on the quick, timing game over the middle of the field which is where those Linebackers, and rangy Safeties roam who at the NFL level will track him with better pursuit angles.

(Ironically some of his best film was against Ohio State who have two very high profile NFL caliber corners in Okudah, and Arnette so I'm actually going to go back and watch a few more games of Hamler to see if I'm missing anything I think a good next level projection for him is a Tavon Austin type)

My spill on him was because I couldn't land good value at WR in the 1st or 3rd in a mock draft. The position just wasn't close to bpa. (Shenault was long gone)

You're going to struggle to find anyone that has those two guys close to Hamler.
Victor and Parker already had great Shrine games.

They might not even last until late 4th.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom