Random thoughts on a great win (1 Viewer)

st dude

The dotless one
Super Moderator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
1. It is always tough playing talented teams who for whatever reason are out of the play off race. Teams that have nothing to lose, like Dallas, make for dangerous opponents. The Saints have put on some great prime time shows in the last couple of years and games like today will get the Saints more big prime time games in the future.

2. Reggie Bush is an integral part of the Saints offense and made many key big plays on our super bowl run. It is no big surprise he was rusty coming off his injury. I thought Payton played it smart trying to ease Bush in and get him a handful of touches. The fact it did not work out does not make it a bad plan. Payton is aware that Lance Moore allows for better ball security on punt returns, but where it appears Bush will have room to field the ball and run, Bush is a much bigger threat to blow open the game with a big return. We need to continue to use Bush selectively in our return game. It is a bit risk/reward, but thats football. Reggie Bush will make some big plays for this team down the stretch.

3. Graham looks like he could be a huge steal in this draft. His level of play is really remarkable considering how little football he has played. I find that in most instances where a team takes a chance on a great athlete with little football experience, the player rarely lives up to the hype. He is not as good as Shockey and why in the world some people expect he would be at this point is beyond me. Shockey probably makes the two catches Graham dropped. The good news is that Graham seems to have great natural instincts and with his size and speed he will create enormous mismatches as his game improves. Drew Brees is so good at recognizing these mismatches that the sky is the limit for Graham. Teams with these 5' 11" safeties are going to be in a world of trouble when the Saints get in the red zone with Colston and Graham on the field.

4. I probably would not have tried a timeout at the end to ice the kicker. I was very happy to see the Cowboys try a low percentage field goal which, at best, would have tied the game for Dallas. I would not have wanted to give the Cowboys time to reconsider and go for it. The Saints have a feast or famine defense and were vulnerable to big plays. I think the odds of picking up ten yards or more are greater than the odds of making a 59 yd kick.

5. I was at the Philadelphia game last year in Philly when Malcolm Jenkins helped turn the game around by stripping the ball on a kick off return. He is a playmaker. The Saints are a quality team because they have more playmakers than the other teams they play.

6. The Saints receiving corps is just sick. Devery had a great game. I read some article about him dropping the long pass at the end. That was not close to a drop. He was in the process of making a great catch and trying to bring it in when he got stripped. Meachem is a weapon. Colston is like having a tight end at wide out. Lance Moore is just money. He is so fearless over the middle for a little guy.

7. I would not trade Drew Brees for Manning or Brady. No matter what the third down yardage is I feel like Brees will pick it up. If you tivoed the game, play back Meachem's catch. The safety was playing very deep over the top. Brees looks to the left first and then back to his right. He then makes an ever so subtle pump fake to the slot receiver which the safety bites on leaving single coverage on Meachem. Brees then hits Meachem in perfect stride. Wow.

8. Payton fooled me on the last touchdown. I am thinking run the ball and use clock. Evidently so were the Cowboys. If you have the game recorded go back and watch that play. The two linebackers and safety bit on the play action. A run would have been stuffed. The safety peels back to help but is too late. Even so, the corner has great coverage and lays out to knock down the pass. Moore was fully extended when he caught it. It could not have been thrown more perfectly. We did leave time on the clock, but Payton correctly assumed our best chance to score was on first down play action.

9. Fans come in all types. I feel kind of sorry for those whose first reaction after a game like this is to complain about the way we won. I am not passing judgment, I am sure that is how they feel when they post. Yes we missed opportunities and made some poor plays. It just seems like something you might want to talk about mid week after you enjoy a great win, not two minutes after the game.

10. They kept showing us pictures of an exuberant Jerry Jones each time the Cowboys made a big play. I wanted to see his reaction to the Meachem catch, the Moore touchdown and the missed field goal. Thats only fair, right? :ezbill:

Last edited:
Jenkins, Brees, Vilma, Moore, Smith, Harper and Colston are all big time. The kind of guys who step up when it really counts.

9. Fans come in all types. I feel kind of sorry for those whose first reaction after a game like this is to complain about the way we won. I am not passing judgment, I am sure that is how they feel when they post. Yes we missed opportunities and made some poor plays. It just seems like something you might want to talk about mid week after you enjoy a great win, not two minutes after the game.

I've said it before and I will say it again, there is no such thing as an ugly win. All wins are beautiful. We won, and we won in a fashion that in the past we normally lose; the whole snatching defeat out of the jaws of VICTORY thing.

I am thoroughly enjoying this win. Let the Debbie Downers complain but I'll be too busy celebrating to really care or notice.

For those of us that were around for the lean years, we take every victory no matter how they come. I have watched us be on the losing end of so many games like that. A win is a win is a win when you are a Saints fan. Would you complain if we sewed up the division like that, or a playoff game, or the SB? Enjoy them while you can because you never know when the Saints may turn back into a pumpkin and the Cinderella story will be over...

I'm not upset about how we won, I'm rather happy.

After jumping out to a 17-3 lead, someone other than the players on the field spotted Dallas 10 points by playing "Dallas doesn't commit penalties."

See by winning the way we did, Dallas fans got their hopes up only to have their souls, dreams and hopefully any remaining optimism for the rest of their pitiful lives squashed like bugs on the windshield of life. I hope they're crying buckets...you know everything is bigger in Texas, including the disappointment.

After jumping out to a 17-3 lead, someone other than the players on the field spotted Dallas 10 points by playing "Dallas doesn't commit penalties."

See by winning the way we did, Dallas fans got their hopes up only to have their souls, dreams and hopefully any remaining optimism for the rest of their pitiful lives squashed like bugs on the windshield of life. I hope they're crying buckets...you know everything is bigger in Texas, including the disappointment.

very poetically put

I was too busy jumping up and down yelling "we won, we won!" to worry about how we won. I was too excited celebrating!! WE WON!!!!!!

I almost drove off the road with joy to worry how we won.

Dotless, you are so correct with number 5. After so many years without 'em, it's such a joy to have them on both sides of the ball. (and have coaches who know what to do with them)

Great win on the road on a short week against a good team with their backs against the wall and nothing to lose.

Another random thought: Kitna is not half bad. Where I would give Brees a 10, I would give Kitna a 9.5 for this game. He avoided pressure, got rid of the ball very fast, made good decisions, and was accurate for the most part (by normal standards, not Brees standards). I'm not sure if the 2 fumbled snaps were his fault or Gurode's, but otherwise he was nearly flawless. It's very hard to win against a QB who has weapons and doesn't make mistakes.

Great thoughts, stdude.

Last edited:
10. They kept showing us pictures of an exuberant Jerry Jones each time the Cowboys made a big play. I wanted to see his reaction to the Meachem catch, the Moore touchdown and the missed field goal. Thats only fair, right? :ezbill:

I would have loved to see his reaction as well. :D Similarly, the highlights on the nfl.com are really awful. They obviously assumed that the Cowboys would win and skipped the whole first half! Maybe by now they've changed them, but it was really appalling.

The only thing better than a Cowboys' loss is a Saints' win. ;)

Now, we can truly forget about the Cowboys for the rest of the year. They will not host the superbowl. They are irrelevant, and that means we can root for them when they play teams that need to lose. It sounds weird and almost sacreligious, but I'll have no problem with rooting for them in games where a Dallas win will help the Saints to get into the playoffs when it comes to kwtpf.

good points all, but...

preach!

Not to mention ripping the joy out the hearts of both Atlanta & Tampa

WhoDatin's regional. We ruined quite a number of trukeys this Thanksgiving

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom