Rank Huey Lewis and the News’ Hit Songs (1 Viewer)

Mr. Blue Sky

Still P***ed at Yoko
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
For those of you old enough to remember the decade of the 1980s, Huey Lewis and the News’ songs were played incessantly on FM radio.. Now that we have a little distance from that era and are able to look back, here are my ‘ratings’:

Like:

Power of Love
Heart and Soul
Do You Believe in Love
If This Is It

Okay:

Heart of Rock n Roll
I Want A New Drug
Doing It All for my Baby

Cant Stand:

Hip to Be Square
Happy to be Stuck with You
Jacob’s Ladder

What say you?

Top 3: Do You Believe in Love, If This Is It, and the Power of Love

Honorable Mention: Back in Time (just because Back to the Future)

I have no problem with their songs. I like most of their songs from their 'Sports' album. I even gave a chuckle at 'Bad is Bad'.

I think that the music video era did a lot to get people into their stuff because they looked like a happy, upstanding bunch of guys in every one of their music videos.
But like most music, you just have to be in the right mood when listening to their songs. And the fact that the radio stations were force feeding us Huey Lewis songs made that hard to do sometimes.

I used to make some continuous play audio cassettes for parties and such back then, and I always sprinkled in a few of their songs because a lot of what they produced simply represented 'good times'. And as background music, no one ever had a problem with that. I found most of their stuff to be in the 'Good to Okay' range of music listen-ability.

Last edited:
I went to download Sports or Fore in Spotify, suggestions profile be damned, and I had a visceral reaction which prevented my adding them. I think that Huey Lewis was so ever present on both FM radio (KSMB) and a fledgling MTV when I was a kid, that my brain sort of responds with a "No, I'm fine, thanks" when I go to listen.

Image result for that's one huge pile of shit jurassic park gif

I went to download Sports or Fore in Spotify, suggestions profile be damned, and I had a visceral reaction which prevented my adding them. I think that Huey Lewis was so ever present on both FM radio (KSMB) and a fledgling MTV when I was a kid, that my brain sort of responds with a "No, I'm fine, thanks" when I go to listen.
Similar to most of post-Genesis Phil Collins
So ubiquitous that it became musical wallpaper

Quality - Not Annoying to Listen to:

Power of Love
Do You Believe in Love
Heart and Soul

Decent - Okay to listen to once a year:

Heart of Rock and Roll
If This Is It
Walking on a Thin Line
New Drug (only because it reminds me of Ghostbusters)
Jacob's Ladder

No Thanks:

Stuck with You
Hip to Be Square

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom