Rankin Return (1 Viewer)

While on the subject of returning injured, is it conceivable that Kikaha can come off PUP and play this year?

That is a good and real intriguing question. It's hard to know because we haven't heard much about his recovery process. It would be great if he could come back some time this season.

That is a good and real intriguing question. It's hard to know because we haven't heard much about his recovery process. It would be great if he could come back some time this season.

I haven't been able to find ANYTHING about Kikaha's recovery or an injury update sine he was placed on the PUP list. Nothing about surgery. Nothing. It's like he fell off the face of the earth. I even checked his Instagram and twitter. Anyone hear anything after he was placed on PUP?

While on the subject of returning injured, is it conceivable that Kikaha can come off PUP and play this year?

From bloggingtheboys.com

The Reserve/PUP is the regular season equivalent of the Active/PUP, but with slightly different rules. A player on the Active/PUP list automatically moves to Reserve/PUP at the end of training camp, provided he hasn't practiced with the team. Once a player moves off the Active/PUP list during camp and starts practicing, he is automatically ineligible for Reserve/PUP.

Complicating things is the fact that once a player is moved to Reserve/PUP, he is automatically excluded from practicing or playing with the team for the first six weeks of the season.

The benefit of placing a player on Reserve/PUP is that the player won't count against the 53-man roster limit. Teams have a six-week window (day after Week 6 to day after Week 11) during which the player can return to practice. If the player is not ready by then, the player either has to be released or moved to season-ending IR. Once a player returns to practice, teams have an extra three-week window before they have to activate the player to the 53-man roster (or release or IR him).

So, if Kikaha isn't on IR ( I dunno if he was moved to it or not) those are the rules for him. Again, the only thing I have found about his injury is that it is a simple straightforward tear of ACL with no other damage to the knee, which is why he was seeking options on how to proceed in treatment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man, the title of this thread made me think that he has returned.

I believe a very good possibility. Only due to the fact we never heard about a surgery. Which probably means a partial, not full tear. Which has a recovery time of 8-12 weeks. And that happened in mini camp. All in how he recovers, but it's plenty of time to decide.

I hope the doctors/medical staff/trainers are super careful on when Rankins is allowed to return.

Here is the exact quote on the subject that I got from the NFL Owners meeting minutes:

"Clarification on the designated to return rule. I think right now, a player can come back after six weeks-practice after six, play after eight. Is that totally eliminated? Can a player come back to practice, be declared that player on Friday and play on Sunday?

The rule as it was written is exactly the same. In other words there’s no change in the six weeks, no change in the eight weeks, no change in any of that language. The difference is you don’t have to designate that player until the day you’re going to bring that player back to practice. The day you’re going to bring that player back to practice after those six weeks, you submit to the league the name, and that player then becomes your designated to return. It’s a good idea by Buffalo, and I think it will serve the clubs well."

I guess it doesn't matter much in the long run anyway because the likelihood of a guy coming off IR and being completely ready to contribute right away is incredibly slim. I'd imagine most coaches would keep the player inactive while they get in playing shape.

I guess it doesn't matter much in the long run anyway because the likelihood of a guy coming off IR and being completely ready to contribute right away is incredibly slim. I'd imagine most coaches would keep the player inactive while they get in playing shape.

I agree 100%. A player will almost always need the extra two weeks of practice. The problem I have is that reporters like the one from NBC sports that poster insidejob provided a link to are supposed to be professionals, and a lot of them were at the NFL owners meeting but apparently not paying attention to the rule clarification. Here is the link again to the NBC reporter's article: Rule change could add strategy to bringing a player back from IR | ProFootballTalk .

The NBC Sports Reporter Zac Jackson's opinion of the rule was, "Now, teams could potentially use some strategy and gamesmanship in deciding which injured player could make a late-season comeback. Decisions could be made based on roster strength and depth, or in the case of multiple players being potentially eligible to return, waiting until the last minute before a weekly activation deadline could keep opponents guessing. Under the old rule, the player with the IR-return designation was out at least six weeks before returning to practice and eight before he could return to game action."

The reporter clearly believes the rule was changed to allow a team to bring one player back from IR after 6 weeks and he could see game action right away. The IR rule was not changed to allow that. The owners meeting minutes clearly clarify that the 6 week practice/8 week play rule is still in effect. The player who is brought off of IR still needs to practice for two weeks before he can be active for a game. The reporter also spelled the word "guessing" wrong in the article. I make my share of typos, but I'm not paid to be a reporter.

This is one more reminder that we can't believe everything we read in print or on the internet. The wonderful thing about the internet is that in a lot of cases we can now do our own research and go straight to the source (like the NFL Owner's Meeting Minutes) without having to rely on a reporter's interpretation.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom